Sodium metabisulphite

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Is it as good as star-san?
I've used it when I started and if you use it according to the recommended directions it's a bit of a pain because you have to let it air dry for 1 hour (since it is the vapours released that do the sanitising). This means you can't use it to sanitise on the fly like you could with starsan or iodophor which both only take a matter of minutes to do the job. So I switched to iodophor and it makes things much easier.

aidan said:
I've used it when I started and if you use it according to the recommended directions it's a bit of a pain because you have to let it air dry for 1 hour (since it is the vapours released that do the sanitising). This means you can't use it to sanitise on the fly like you could with starsan or iodophor which both only take a matter of minutes to do the job. So I switched to iodophor and it makes things much easier.

Do you know a website where I can buy it?
I live in Australia

Go to craftbrewer.com.au. It's in qld. I just got some sent to me in Victoria. $45 delivered and I worked out at 1.5ml per liter it should last me it should last me 20 years! Ha. Way better than the meta bisulphate. The smell and fumes will cause heaps of issues in confined spaces. Plus this works in 30 seconds. Great stuff.

No it isn't. Sulfite is not a reliable sanitizer for beer. Using Iodophor or Star San are much better choices.

Back