Sodium Metabisulphate or Metabisulfite?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Anrabs34

Reaction score
Just started reading up on low oxygen brewing techniques. Thought I would give Sodium Metabisulfate a go.

Got on the internet and tried to buy Sodium Metabisulfate. It seems like when I do a Google search for it Google tries to tell me I should be looking for Sodium Metabisulfite. I don’t have much of a chemistry background (only “Blockhead Chemistry” in College many years ago.) If I am understanding things correctly the Metabisulfate is missing one oxygen atom it picks up from the beer. Anyway. it seems about the only place it was available was in India and I had to buy it by the ton. Just a bit more than I need! I have two local home brew suppliers where I live. I sort of figured what the answer would be but I thought I would go on the hunt locally just to see what they could tell me. The first shop didn’t know what I was talking about and at the second shop the guy that owns it has been in business for many years seemed to know exactly what I was looking for but didn’t have it. He sold me 2 oz of Potassium Metabisulfide (only $1.75) and said it would work the same.

My question is; Will it work the same to scavenge oxygen from beer and if not where to get Sodium Metabisulfate?

THANKS

Metabisulfite is what you want. I use Potassium Metabisulfite (K-meta) but people also use the sodium version, too. Both are OK. I prefer K-meta since it doesn't add any sodium to the brew water.

Sodium metabisulfite is what you want if you are looking for oxygen scavenging.

Potassium metabisulfite is mainly ised as a preservative, like if you want to stabilize a mead or cider for back-sweeteneing.

Back