Sodium Metabisulphate or Metabisulfite?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Anrabs34

Reaction score
Just started reading up on low oxygen brewing techniques. Thought I would give Sodium Metabisulfate a go.

Got on the internet and tried to buy Sodium Metabisulfate. It seems like when I do a Google search for it Google tries to tell me I should be looking for Sodium Metabisulfite. I don’t have much of a chemistry background (only “Blockhead Chemistry” in College many years ago.) If I am understanding things correctly the Metabisulfate is missing one oxygen atom it picks up from the beer. Anyway. it seems about the only place it was available was in India and I had to buy it by the ton. Just a bit more than I need! I have two local home brew suppliers where I live. I sort of figured what the answer would be but I thought I would go on the hunt locally just to see what they could tell me. The first shop didn’t know what I was talking about and at the second shop the guy that owns it has been in business for many years seemed to know exactly what I was looking for but didn’t have it. He sold me 2 oz of Potassium Metabisulfide (only $1.75) and said it would work the same.

My question is; Will it work the same to scavenge oxygen from beer and if not where to get Sodium Metabisulfate?

THANKS

BlueHouseBrewhaus

Reaction score
Metabisulfite is what you want. I use Potassium Metabisulfite (K-meta) but people also use the sodium version, too. Both are OK. I prefer K-meta since it doesn't add any sodium to the brew water.

Cavpilot2000

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Sodium metabisulfite is what you want if you are looking for oxygen scavenging.

Potassium metabisulfite is mainly ised as a preservative, like if you want to stabilize a mead or cider for back-sweeteneing.