Soda Acid?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphoid24

Reaction score
I am looking to start homebrewing soda. I am trying to use my own flavoring. I read another post about making cream soda. A few of the recipes mentioned adding lemon juice for "acid content".

What is this for? Does the acid content add flavor or is it for something else?

I plan on force carbonating so will not be using yeast if that matters.

Gives the soda a clean finish and a bit of a bite. Also inhibits things growing in the sugar water. If you don't want lemon, you can buy acids. citric will give a 'fresh' taste, but too much tastes fake. Malic will give you a tart (apple) taste. Many commercial sodas use phosphoric, it is neutral in flavor.

Look up Sodas and PH levels, they are very acidic (and bad for teeth because of it) Coke is usually listed as the most acidic (lowest Ph) with only battery acid being a lower Ph.

Fair warning, a little goes a long way. When adjusting wines a teaspoon of powered acid is a really big change. It is easier to add more and very hard to remove, so experiment and do it lightly.

Thanks for the info. I'll probably start with lemon since it seems the easiest right now and it is what I have.

Back