So yeah my fermentation was done in like 3 days!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShockedHop

Reaction score
Like the title says. I made my first batch in years,and I was a little shocked when my airlock stopped bubbling after 3 days. I know that is not the end all be all of fermentation being over. I waited till last night to take a gravity reading and it was right on what it is supposed to be for the beer. So I'm gonna rack it in my carboy to clear ( also not really needed I know, but have never done it and wanted to try it.) tomorrow, which is 7 days after brewing. Gonna let it sit for a while in the carboy and then keg!

Anyone else have a quick fermentation like this. I used Safale-05 yeast and the liquid temp was 73-75 during fermentation.

The very active part of a fermentation can complete in a short time. This does not mean that the fermentation is actually completed.

Yeah I let it sit for a couple of days after the airlock stopped bubbling but the gravity is right so I'm moving on to the next step. I tasted the beer too, from the hydrometer sample I took. Not to bad. No off flavors that I could taste. 👍

You should really take another gravity reading and see if it is the same before transferring to secondary. Target gravity is just an estimate based on the recipe and yeast. The yeast do not stop because it is now day 7. The gravity could go lower. It is not critical that fermentation is done to transfer to secondary, but it is generally accepted that it is better.

Rely on gravity readings. My airlock stopped bubbling because my lid is old and leaking. I wait 3 weeks regardless of airlock activity.

What others have said. I would add that 73-75 is way too warm for most ale fermentations, including US-05. Fermenting that warm will make for a fast fermentation, but lots of fusels and off flavors.
Hope it turns out OK.

I made an IPA that fermented so hard, the lid on the bucket swelled to the point that the lid nearly busted off my fermentation bucket and then it ended up spraying crap all over the wall in my closet.

When I went to swap it to a blow off, the plug accidentally slipped all the way through the hole in the bucket lid, and because it's tapered it wouldn't come back out. It was my only plug of that size, the local Homebrew supply store didn't have that size. I literally ended cutting up and drilling a hole in a Pink Pearl eraser and had to use that as my plug for the blow off.

Why are you transferring to secondary?

Hes doing it for shts and giggles. Mentioned he wanted to try since he never has. Ive never done it either and probably wont unless i have a good reason to (like adding fruit or wood).

OP as others have said you fermented a little too hot. Your beer will probably have some off flavors.

Better to drink a beer that (all other things being equal) was fermented in twice the time with US-05 at 65*F (beer temp) than one done quickly with the same strain at 75*F. Too much funk for my liking.

Notty I understand is fruit salad fermented in the 70's.

Old fruit salad that's been sitting in the fridge a bit too long.

I echo what most have aldready said about high temp and possible off flavors.

That high temp will give you a fast main fermentation, and even if the recipe said you've reached FG the yeast doesn't know what the recipe say.

Like already me tioned the temp could give you off flavors. Racking to secondary is nothing I would recommend since you're removing the beer from the yeast there will maybe not be enough yeast left to clean up its potential mess.

Yeah I'm gonna take another gravity reading this week and see. I didn't smell or taste any off flavors yet at this point. I tried the hydrometer sample tasted good actually.

Here is another ? I have a mini fridge that I am testing as a fermenter now. With the tstat at its lowest setting liquid temp is at about 55 F. Would that be ok with ales? I know that fermenting temps could raise about 10 degrees. Will be great when I do a lager.

just get a temp controller, tape the temp probe to the fermenting vessel then you should be good to go with the mini fridge. stc1000 is pretty cheap and its not hard to wire up. tons of diy vids and diagrams online.

Also you can get off flavors from fermenting too low as well.

Yeah I got one like that for my keezer. So I'll just get another. Thanks for all of the advice everyone. Feels good to brew again!

For US-05 "fermentation temperature: 12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 15-22°C (59-71.6°F)" as per the specification sheet from fermentis.com. So although not ideal it is not beyond the yeast to perform well under 77°F

I have had great results with a few of my Pale Ales using US-05 around 70-72. Fast and clean, with no off flavors so far. I still usually let mine kick it in the bucket for at least 3 weeks. The few times I tried to rush it, the beer had to sit it the keg just as long to not be "green" and for the beer to be great.

For US-05 "fermentation temperature: 12-25°C (53.6-77°F) ideally 15-22°C (59-71.6°F)" as per the specification sheet from fermentis.com. So although not ideal it is not beyond the yeast to perform well under 77°F

I have had great results with a few of my Pale Ales using US-05 around 70-72. Fast and clean, with no off flavors so far. I still usually let mine kick it in the bucket for at least 3 weeks. The few times I tried to rush it, the beer had to sit it the keg just as long to not be "green" and for the beer to be great.

Yeah this being my first batch in so long I'm getting excited to try it. But I'm planning on getting a couple more kegs and making a couple batches and letting them sit for a while. Besides once I keg this batch my keezer will be full and I can make my IPA and let it sit and get real good

Haha. It ought to be fine, I've even enjoyed a blonde I brewed with White Labs English ale yeast that fermented at 78* for the first 3 days. WHOOPS! It was my first batch and I was pleasantly surprised at how good it was.

Yeah this being my first batch in so long I'm getting excited to try it. But I'm planning on getting a couple more kegs and making a couple batches and letting them sit for a while. Besides once I keg this batch my keezer will be full and I can make my IPA and let it sit and get real good

Keep in mind that IPA aren't really meant to sit as the hop bitterness,aroma, and taste will diminish over time. So trying to age out fermentation off-flavors will likely result in an overall decline in IPA quality.

IPAs are one style that needs to be fermented correctly so they can be enjoyed fresh.

Keep in mind that IPA aren't really meant to sit as the hop bitterness,aroma, and taste will diminish over time. So trying to age out fermentation off-flavors will likely result in an overall decline in IPA quality.

IPAs are one style that needs to be fermented correctly so they can be enjoyed fresh.

Good to know.

OP, I use a little micro-mini fridge with the AlphaOmega flashed STC+ allowing temp profiles, and it cycles 20m/hr (in 65-70 cellar ambient) to keep 60°F (German Ale yeast, range 55-68). Mine is a little cube, so if yours is the 4.5-5 cubic ft type, it'll proly be fine for 55 temps without issue. But I can highly recommend the STC+ firmware

Back