So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After 30m of a stuck vorlof i finally got the darn mash tun draining- took jamming an aluminum wire in the spout to unclog…
4554D3B2-0F2F-4826-A3D9-DCF65F0AC883.jpeg

First runnings are at 1.070-1.075, i’ll let y’all know the pre-boil gravity in about an hour when the fly sparge has finished!

Going slower than predicted… about halfway through my sparge with an hour 20min worth of sparging… hoping i still have daylight before the brew is finished!

Decided to brew a Roggenbier yesterday. I've never used rye malt before and my pre-boil gravity was lower than expected. I've never had that issue...in fact usually it's a few points higher than expected. Wondering if maybe I should have run the grain through the grinder twice or something. Anyway, it's happily fermenting now. We'll see how it turns out.

Decided to brew a Roggenbier yesterday. I've never used rye malt before and my pre-boil gravity was lower than expected. I've never had that issue...in fact usually it's a few points higher than expected. Wondering if maybe I should have run the grain through the grinder twice or something. Anyway, it's happily fermenting now. We'll see how it turns out.
I always change the gap settings on my mill for rye/wheat/oats since they're smaller kernels. If you ran it on the same gap setting as when you do malted barley, then this could very well be a reason you got worse than expected efficiency.

Hops for the Dead Guy clone I had planned for today are stuck at Fedex (along with husband's medically necessary knee brace, we are not amused right now) so I'm brewing up the Helles I had planned for Saturday instead. Last one I did 9lbs pilsner and 1lb Munich II, for this one went with 8lbs pilsner and 2lbs Munich because I absolutely love Munich. Hallertau Mittelfruh for bittering only, nothing late. This vacation stuff is the shiznit.

I'm brewing this weekend, if FedEx brings my grain tomorrow. I'm making a special brown ale for Thanksgiving. I got the recipe from that "Home Brew 4 Life" youtube channel, he described it as tasting like chocolate cake, so I call it Chocolate Cake Brown Ale.

After that, it's on to a Belgian Tripel with cherries for Christmas.

I'm planning to do a BIAB, maybe oatmeal, stout. This will be my first attempt at BIAB.
You'll never go back to extract or three-tun brewing.

Meanwhile, back in the garage, we put 6.5 gallons of American brown ale into the fermenter, using raw honey from a monastery in Louisiana (as well as some leftover hops and grains I've had in the 'fridge for several months).
honeypot.jpg

Tastes good already, and the voss kveik I rehydrated is throwing gas already, just 2 hours after pitching it into the 1.060 wort.

Last edited:
A hot pepper imperial milk stout is mashing in the garage right now. My lhbs is having some supply issues and so were out of a couple of grains I wanted to use for my own recipe so I took the Triple X recipe from Brewing Classic Styles and added a couple more pounds of pale ale malt. I have way too many Dragon's Breath peppers, which are delicious if you have a small enough amount that the heat doesn't destroy your mouth (I had a tiny 2mm x .5cm sliver) so I'm going to infuse one (or 1/2 maybe) of those in an oz or two of vodka to add after a week of fermenting or to the keg when I transfer.

My depraved extravaganza of fizzy yellow swill brewing continued without shame today, although it did take a bit of a detour.

Now that it's finally starting to cool down in the Mid-Atlantic, I've swapped out the pils malt and rice in my Panther Piss Classic recipe for 5lbs of Vienna malt and a pound of Munich. It still has 4lbs of 6-row and 2lb of corn, so it's certainly still in the swill category, despite the fancy Continental malts. It's a lovely deep gold, certainly not amber. I guess that makes it fizzy golden swill.

Brewed my first Koelsch today. I am using the last packet of Lallemand Koelsch yeast from my LHBS (it is just past the best before date, but it should be OK), so if it goes well, I will be harvesting the yeast for future batches. The timing is right because my cold storage room which I used for fermentation is just at 58 F right now.

Put my new-to-me 3.5 gallon Brew Bucket to use today with a Saison. The Saison recipe is similar to some recent batches but with Spelt (vs Rye). I came in right at my target OG of 1.055.

The core recipe was:
• 72.7% Pilsner Malt
• 18.2% Spelt Malt
• 9.1% Munich I
• 0.3 oz Northern Brewer 60 min
• 0.75 oz Hersbrucker 10 min
• WLP565 Saison (Dupont)

IMG_3590.JPG
IMG_3593.JPG
IMG_3594.JPG

Hit up the LHBS on the way home from now-done job today for adjunct grains for the next four batches; doing a Helles tomorrow, a Dead Guy clone on Monday, and next weekend a Marzen. Going to my very first pro football game on Halloween (yes I've lived in WA for 45 years and have NEVER been to a Seahawks game, OMG I can't wait) so only one brew next weekend; but with two weeks off I've got plenty of time to get the pipeline up to where it needs to be. Plenty of base malt on hand and yeast, and hop order from YVH should be here on Monday.

Need to go to a Sounders game. Now that…is an experience I am likely to never forget.

Haven't seen the Sounders yet, but a couple years ago we were in Portland and got free tickets to a Timbers game. That was epic. Cannot WAIT until we get to go see the Kraken! Yay hockey!!
Went to a Sounders game back before the Timbers existed and had a great time. I ended up behind a full soccer team of 2nd graders, but it didn't stop me from double fisting those 22 oz craft beers lol

Brewing my imperial stout on Friday. Extremely regretted not doing it last weekend, so making it happen ASAP. Did the starter last night. Recipe has some tweaks, as this is one recipe I'm desperately trying to elevate.

I brewed my American Porter yesterday. It might end up too bitter because I didn't hear the timer go off for the second hop addition, so the first hops got an extra 20 minutes or so in the boil. OTOH, it was just Willamette hops and they are not *that* bitter to start with, so 40 minutes vs 60+ is probably not a huge difference.

Just put 6 gal. of Blue Collar Coffee Stout (NB AG Kit) into the fermenter.

Now the cleanup begins. I was extra messy. Turned on the pump to recirculate the mash and I didn't have the spray head secured, so it recirculated me, the garage floor and the table, I'll probably find more as time goes on.

Oh, and Yellow Jackets LOVE wort! They aren't picky either, they are happy to take it right off your sweatshirt.

I thought the freeze this week would have killed them off but not so lucky :no:

Back