So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
1 gallon batch of an Everything Bagel IPA for my daughter’s birthday. Apparently it’s her favorite now. Last time it was a little oniony. This time I cut the onion flake in half. I still don’t get it, but my wife and daughter both love it. She and her husband are coming in from Pittsburgh so I wanted to make her something special.

Loved the couple bombers of Dark Star I had a few years ago. Like you, I would have omitted the cinnamon and licorice as well. Interested in hearing how this turns out.

I get gifted some barrel aged versions once or twice a year and they're always amazing.

I've made this twice before. The 1st time was with S-05 and it was excellent after 4 months of aging. The second time was with Voss kveik and wasn't that great. I believe it was because I bottled it and the taste of the yeast gave odd flavors. I will keg with that yeast from now on.
Last night's version was with Nottingham. Fingers are crossed.

I get gifted some barrel aged versions once or twice a year and they're always amazing.

I've made this twice before. The 1st time was with S-05 and it was excellent after 4 months of aging. The second time was with Voss kveik and wasn't that great. I believe it was because I bottled it and the taste of the yeast gave odd flavors. I will keg with that yeast from now on.
Last night's version was with Nottingham. Fingers are crossed.
Since you mentioned Dark Star, it jogged my memory that I’ve had a single can in the back of the fridge for a few months. It’s a cool fall evening tonight, just right for sharing it with my wife.

F3A886C5-C2E2-493B-863A-046FF51052DC.jpeg

Wife informed me she's taking the infant to sister-in-law's for a girls'night sleepover leaving me with toddler. I called mother-in-law and asked if she'd take toddler for the night. Yup.

Who's got an empty house all to himself for a whole evening/night? This guy!!!

Sounds like I'm getting in a brew session and falling asleep to a loud epic war movie.

Morning after. Sitting on the front porch drinking my coffee, looking at the first flush of autumn, enjoying the last minutes of quietude.

Didn't get the war movie in, but brewday went very well. Hit my final volumes spot on, missed OG by 0.001.

Tried my second shaken, not stirred starter. A pint of 1.090 first runnings, 5m boil, chill to tepid. Pitched a pack of Imperial Bartleby (Hornindal), shake, shake, shake. Shake a bit more. At 50min, it was showing some small signs of activity and hissing. At 60m, it was building krausen and sounding like my old Bostonian steam heat. Pitched into 95° wort at 3hrs, ~10p.

Woke up this morning, headed down to the basement to check things out. Fermenter is rolling away. Krausen is an 1" thick, but there's evidence of high krausen at 2.5". Did it reach high krausen and already begin to recede in under 8hrs?! Kveik!

Also accomplished yesterday during my 'day off'...

8.5lb home-cured bacon smoked
2 racks of ribs smoked
Bathroom cleaned
Kitchen cleaned
Laundry done and put away

Ended up brewing 2.5 gallons of oatmeal stout today with a little over half a pack of S04 that was left from a small batch experiment. The spent grain should be a good boost for my compost pile with all the dead leaves I added yesterday.

4 day weekend coming up for me, so I might be trying to turn 2 of them into brew days.

I've been getting back into brewing hot and heavy after dabbling in it on and off for 25 years. I got my brewing certificate at the local university (just for the hell of it) and it's really upped my game. I brewed an ESB using a recipe I developed in class and need to tinker with. Along the way, I'm improving my equipment. I'm stepping up from gravity-fed coolers to a 15-gal HERMS system using converted sanke kegs. I just got a couple of used Chugger pumps, and did a test run for transferring. As soon as a get a HERMS coil (when the budget allows, and the Blichmann large coil is available again), I'll finish things up. Here's my set up:
IMG_20211002_131040572_2.jpg

After a successful test run, I mounted both pumps under the bench top for a more permanent setup.
I managed to get 4.5 gallons of ESB into the carboy. I'm still tweaking my recipe and equipment efficiency so I can get it up to 5.5 into the fermenter.

New fermenter should be here tomorrow (3 gal fermonster to match the one I already have). I think I'm going to do a 65F fermented Munich Dunkel with 34/70

I have a pair of the 3-gallon Fermonsters, and sometimes I wish I had another pair. I really enjoy doing both 2.5 gallon batches and also splitting a 5 gallon batch with 2 yeasts. I acquired another pair of the 10L Torpedo kegs from a friend, so that doubles my ability to have 2.5 gallon batches on tap!

Heating up the strike for a batch of the new improved house WF lager; fell in love with Munich II as an adjunct so using it again, 2lbs with 8lbs of Canadian pilsner. Groundwater appears to be finally cold enough to chill faster. Tomorrow I'm planning a Citra/El Dorado IPA, since the pipeline is getting a bit low. Also instituting a few changes to see if I can get rid of the slight astringency issues that the judges noted at last month's competition; 45 minute mash, no higher than 150, and keeping the sparge water temperature about 170. We shall see.

Re-brewing the Spiced Bourbon Stout for the 12 Beers of Christmas. I posted the details in the 12 BOC thread; the short version is that it became infected while aging in the cold storage room in my basement. I blame the 5 gallon bucket which I use, very occasionally, as a third fermenter (I needed the carboy which the Stout was fermented in). It hadn’t been used for months and probably had something nasty hiding in the spigot.

First infection and first dumper in 10+ years and 160+ batches. At least I have the ingredients on hand and enough time to get the beer finished in time for Xmas.

Well, it ended up going into the fermenters. Apparently I didn’t boil off as much as my preboil volume was calculated for. After leaving 2-3 quarts of trub in the kettle I filled a 6 gallon carboy to the neck. I’d already pitched the yeast and I knew I needed plenty of headspace for Nottingham in 1.070 wort. So, I racked 2 gallons into a 5 gallon carboy and split another pack of Notty 1/3-2/3 between the two fermenters in case the yeast wasn’t evenly distributed.

I think I’ll just blame it on climate change. That’s as good a scapegoat as any. :cool:
6114BF34-3B88-46D6-8A3A-B1AD576FF973.jpeg

Went Belgian yesterday. In the morning I took a stab at a Rare Vos clone (a lot of guesswork going on) and later on made a Tripel I've made numerous times before. Two packs off lallemond Abbaye into the Vos, it keeps pushing the top out of the big mouth bubbler even with the small blow off tube. For shits and giggles I used two packs of Belle Saison in the Tripel, never did that before. I usually use Ardennes.
20211010_140841.jpg

I used to say brewing is my gym, but I never hydrated with beer in a gym. 🤪
I have, but the part of the world I live in may as well be on another planet in relation to the part of the world where you live. :cool: There was a gym/fitness center in a town about an hour away from here that had a bar in it. The owners got an offer they couldn’t refuse from a developer. I think they retired on the proceeds. It was a popular place while it was open.

I have, but the part of the world I live in may as well be on another planet in relation to the part of the world where you live. :cool: There was a gym/fitness center in a town about an hour away from here that had a bar in it. The owners got an offer they couldn’t refuse from a developer. I think they retired on the proceeds. It was a popular place while it was open.

I live close to Hoppy. Recently, for the first time in my life, I've thought about living elsewhere but with 60+ years of connections it's not that easy.

Well, I was planning on brewing today in the garage, but my street seems to be getting new asphalt laid down now. Not sure how the smell of oil fumes could impact the beer. Pausing for a couple days.

I brewed a 5 gallon batch of an IPA to use up my 8.6 oz of homegrown Chinook (that was the weight after drying). I went with a simple grain bill that was around 50% English Pale (Muntons Super Pale) and 50% English Pale Ale (Crisp Maris Otter). I jacked up the volume knowing I would loose a bit of volume to the hops. My only hop additions were 4.3 oz added at 10 minutes, and 4.3 oz added at a 180F steep (no dry hops planned). It came in at 1.068, which is in the range I was hoping for.

I split this into two batches and pitched Cellar Science Cali Ale into one half and BRY-97 into the other. I have never used BRY-97 but have heard good things about it. The pic is just after I added the whirlpool addition before stirring them in.

IMG_3541.JPG

It's Thanksgiving here, so I count today as part of the weekend. Chose to brew today instead of yesterday so I could watch the f1 race without having to keep jumping into the other room to check on the brew. As fall sets in my tastes are going full-on malt. Just kegged an ordinary bitter, and today brewed up a wee heavy to pair alongside it.
Brewday went super smooth, finished off 1 point over planned (1.075 instead of 1.074) and it should come in a little over 7%. Pitched a jar of slurry from the recently kegged bitter and it took off like a shot and by the time the oxygenat foam had died down the krausen had already started and the airlock was bubbling a short two hours after pitch.

43AFDA76-95C9-4EA0-BA53-57B13F3922F3.jpeg
E8E9276E-38F1-4F7F-9D2E-F86817404544.jpeg
D929B371-096D-42AB-BBA3-7E46FBD530C7.jpeg
5898D354-F605-4AB9-91C2-2D567DBBB3B2.jpeg

I love the pics. Old school. Reminds me of me. I'd love to have the space and the finances to have some of the brewing spaces and systems I see on this site. Sometimes I show my lovely bride pictures of the blinged out brew spaces I come across. "Kath, look at this! I'm gonna put this in the den!" ... and she smiles.

I've been at this 30ish years.... I'm still using the thick, valveless, stainless steel stockpot I bought 25+ years ago and fermenting in different, basically plastic fermenters.

Still loving the hobby. Still making great beer. Still kind of proud of old school.

I love the pics. Old school. Reminds me of me. I'd love to have the space and the finances to have some of the brewing spaces and systems I see on this site. Sometimes I show my lovely bride pictures of the blinged out brew spaces I come across. "Kath, look at this! I'm gonna put this in the den!" ... and she smiles.

I've been at this 30ish years.... I'm still using the thick, valveless, stainless steel stockpot I bought 25+ years ago and fermenting in different, basically plastic fermenters.

Still loving the hobby. Still making great beer. Still kind of proud of old school.
This is basic but works great. I have a propane hookup that lets me run my brewing burner off my dual 100 gallon propane tanks.

Hopefully brewing on my 3 keggle system for the last time until next summer…65l Brewzilla expected soon. Making 10 gallons of IPA with my 2 new fermzillas. I’ve got lots to learn about low o2, pressure transfers, etc. Unless I have COVID. Wife is just getting over it, one kid has it, and I got hit with runny nose, cough, trouble breathing, and fatigue this evening. We’ll see how I feel in the morning.

Just started the sparge on another adjunct lager. If the snot-nosed punk that started homebrewing all those years ago knew that I was going to wind up going on a two-year adjunct lager bender… I suppose it’s for the best that he didn’t know.View attachment 745831
Hey, you like what you like!

Back