So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing a spitfire clone while drinking a hobgoblin ruby.
582A778A-80D5-471B-A8CC-BA9BF5EFD96E.jpeg

About to crank up the burner on a batch of Atlantic Brew Supplies' "Munich In Tents." Although I would have added another pound or so of medium DME, I'm going to follow their recipe just to see how it tastes. The only variation will be the yeast -- I'm reusing the cake from my ANY APA I bottled yesterday. Wish me luck!

Just milled the grain for what should turn out to be a nice dark something. Dunno if it will be a porter or a stout, and don't really care. 12lbs 2 row, 2lbs pilsner, 1lb light munich, 1/2lb each of crystal 40, chocolate malt, and black barley, and 1lb of flaked oats. Yeah maybe too much on the darks but I don't care. Considering adding 1/2c of cocoa powder late in the boil too. I love making up recipes on the fly. Hops will be Cascade for bittering and Willamette late additions, fermented on some proven Notty I've got in the fridge. Ferment fridge is empty for the first time in weeks, it needs some friends. Last few brews I've left milling to the day of, which is a PITA; I wind up sneezing from the grain dust and don't enjoy the morning. This time I even got the coffee already ground for what I'll be drinking during brewday. Plenty of propane too. Gonna be a good day.

Just mashed in another batch of lager to replace the one that will kick sometime this week. Of all the beers I brew it's the one that I try to keep on tap at all times. This time going back to an old favorite for the hops; Cascade for bittering, and Crystal as late additions. Crystal imparts a nice floral note with some citrus if I don't go too heavy on it, haven't brewed this recipe since 2018 according to my notes. Just learned that Crystal is the result of cultivating an american hop to rival german noble hops like Mittelfruh; didn't know that.

Just finished up an APA, it's cooling down in the swamp cooler. Will transfer it over to the fermenter soon and pitch in the am. I came in low on my preboil gravity (1.042 vs expected 1.050), but OG was spot on at 1.060! It was a miracle! Actually a bigger boil pot and more vigorous boil... Lol

Attachments

• IMG_20210117_162040.jpg
    IMG_20210117_162040.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 14
Last edited:
Just put a yeast starter up for an Austin Homebrew Winter hoppy ale. Doing BIAB as always. It has been a long time since I bought a kit of ingredients, I usually just do my own recipes. I'm using WLP041 Pacific Ale yeast. A starter may not be absolutely necessary but I always do it now since I have the equipment. Brew day should be either tomorrow or the next day. The last time I brewed it was still hot outside and I used my garden hose to run my chiller and could barely get it down to a decent temp and had to use ice around the hose, this time the water temp is 45F out of the tap and should be really quick.

This kit came with generic bittering hops listed in IBUs. I get 17IBU, plus the flavor, aroma and dry hops. I'll see how it goes.

Brewing an Allagash White clone recipe published in the latest edition of BYO, on New Year's day.
Care to share?

I'm brewing a coffee/vanilla porter at the wife's request on Saturday. Her aunt gave all the girls in the family a vanilla tincture. I can only assume she meant it to be used for baking, lol.

My brew day went surprisingly easy yesterday. No problems with anything. It just takes a long time doing it on stovetop. The one thing that didn’t take a long time was chilling the wort as I figured it wouldn’t.

Care to share?

I'm brewing a coffee/vanilla porter at the wife's request on Saturday. Her aunt gave all the girls in the family a vanilla tincture. I can only assume she meant it to be used for baking, lol.

BYO December 2020, Vol. 26, No. 8, pg 44
If you can't get to it, let me know.

BTW, tastes real nice.

New Brewer here. Did 5.5 gallon white beer last Sunday.

6 pounds malted wheat, 6 flaked wheat and 1 flaked oat. One ounce of each coriander seeds and lemon peel. Two ounces saaz, half at 60 and half at 15. Will dry hop 2oz of lemondrop after secondary fermentation and will let it condition for about a week. I use fast ferment conical.

Got low efficiency from the anvil ebiab, but I like that all the water was in contact with the grain. Used 8 gallon strike and no sparge. Milled the wheat at a gap of 30 (credit card gap). Maybe will try finer next time.

New Brewer here. Did 5.5 gallon white beer last Sunday.

6 pounds malted wheat, 6 flaked wheat and 1 flaked oat. One ounce of each coriander seeds and lemon peel. Two ounces saaz, half at 60 and half at 15. Will dry hop 2oz of lemondrop after secondary fermentation and will let it condition for about a week. I use fast ferment conical.

Got low efficiency from the anvil ebiab, but I like that all the water was in contact with the grain. Used 8 gallon strike and no sparge. Milled the wheat at a gap of 30 (credit card gap). Maybe will try finer next time.
Did you used no barley malt? Maybe you can try adding at least a 10% the total amount to aid with the enzymes as there's a lot of unmalted grains in your grist, maybe some pilsner can do the trick

Doppelbock in the fermenter. Look forward to this one every year because it’s the only decoction mash I do. Longer brew day but tons of fun!

curious about this recipe. I did a dopple and it turned about pretty good. I think this style is quickly becoming a favorite.

curious about this recipe. I did a dopple and it turned about pretty good. I think this style is quickly becoming a favorite.
29EDCC88-005E-4285-BC29-E7203B5DC50C.png

Mash in @ 1.5/quarts per # grain to hit a 142-144 target.
Rest 15 min @ 142-144

Pull thick decoction 12 quarts (3 gallons)

Raise thick decoction to 158. Hold there 15 min. Then boil thick decoction 30 minutes

Add decoction back to main mash. Targeting 156-158. Hold main mash there 30-45 min.

Pull thin decoction. Boil and add back to main mash to hit mash out. 165-168.

Sparge as usual.

Did you used no barley malt? Maybe you can try adding at least a 10% the total amount to aid with the enzymes as there's a lot of unmalted grains in your grist, maybe some pilsner can do the trick

I'm really trying to learn the wheat beer styles. I'm trying different stuff to see what works and what does not.
I just bottled a half pilsner half flaked wheat, which seem like a good batch so far. I also got a batch ready that I did with half wheat half flaked wheat. OG was 1.052 and FG 1.014. I thought the conversion seemed fine so I did it again but with lemon instead of orange peel.

I thought about adding pilsner malt ( I have a whole bag) but I'm not quite aware and don't quite know how to check and calculate if I really need it.

Back