So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Not exactly the weekend, but the holiday break has started. Brewing a 2-row/Vienna IPA with Centennial and Cascade using A43 Loki.
C168E991-05DB-4959-AE7F-6D70BA26B20E.jpeg

I think I'm fixin' to do a mini-mash. About a gallon of 1.040 wort to use for yeast starters, then can it. I usually mix starters as I need them from a bag of DME, but the bag is getting low. (should I add a little hops for antiseptic? I know it's not necessary but it's easy to do)

I think I'm fixin' to do a mini-mash. About a gallon of 1.040 wort to use for yeast starters, then can it. I usually mix starters as I need them from a bag of DME, but the bag is getting low. (should I add a little hops for antiseptic? I know it's not necessary but it's easy to do)

I’ve got no experience but there are a bunch of threads on this, and the general sentiment is that there’s a botulism risk unless you can hit the higher temps that a pressure canner can hit to remove that risk.

Dan

I’ve got no experience but there are a bunch of threads on this, and the general sentiment is that there’s a botulism risk unless you can hit the higher temps that a pressure canner can hit to remove that risk.

Dan

Yes. Thanks. Hops might mitigate that risk a little, but I don't know. I'm planning to use a pressure canner to hit 250 degrees. (240 is all that's really necessary, the extra 10 is insurance)

Recirculating the sparge on another batch of the house Citra/Sabro IPA. Kicked my Mosaic IPA yesterday (on purpose), no IPA on tap, it was time. Also anxious to see if the fix I applied to my plate chiller stops the annoying small leak that required keeping it in a bucket while chilling.

Brewed a Dunkelweizen yesterday. My own recipe. First attempt, so no idea how good it will be. Got almost 6 gallons of 1.054 in the fermenter with WLP380. Will ferment at 64F for the first 3 to 4 days then warm to 69F. Fingers crossed. 🍻

Attachments

• 0B1FAF55-AF34-4EAE-A842-44B62DD5337A.jpeg
    0B1FAF55-AF34-4EAE-A842-44B62DD5337A.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 12
This being Monday, I'm assuming "this weekend" includes Friday, 1 Jan 2021.

So the plan is to throw about 9 pounds of light LME in a pot with bottled spring water, steeped grains, some hopses and nutrients, and put the results into the fermenter with some Wyeast 2112 as the first batch of the year.

I'm going for golden, dry, and clear here, vaguely Pils-ish but not too hoppy as my Assistent Braumeister does not appreciate the finer points of bitter.

And if it's raining, it's going to happen in the garage.

Planned a New Years brew on the 2nd, an original APA with warrior and green bullet hops. If things go well I may do another on Sunday. Possibly a California Common with northern brewer hops.

Will finally be completing my BGS New Years Eve after the toddler goes down. That way I have a clean and clear kitchen to work and then finish in the garage. This is my first big beer and is also important as it will be the first homebrew the Wife will have after not drinking for 10 months. *Fingers Crossed*

Currently at work and have basically no work to complete, other than clean my stalls and wipe down my tools and box. Have to look busy until 4 today....Then brew day is on once the toddler is down! Gonna get that BGS action finally rolling.,

Started a Best Bitter yesterday. Omega British Ale VIII "notoriously slow to start". The temperature spikes (white line) and bubble counter (green line) drops are a result of repeatedly handling the new PLAATO airlock but finally got it rolling. Any kind of gas leaks in the system cause bubbles to not be counted. And I had the triton backwards at first so the ir system was looking over it's shoulder at the wall. All the documentation came from the website and that was a bit luggy to use. I like the airlock now though.
IMG_2773.PNG

Doing something a little off-the-cuff tomorrow; last grain order I bought 4lbs of light Munich thinking I needed it for a recipe but didn't wind up using it. Going to do a nice Cascade Pale with pilsner, Munich, carapils, and haven't yet decided if I'll throw a bit of crystal 40 in there for more color. Hops will be nothing but Cascade from FWH to late additions, mainly because it's a great hop, but also because I've got a LOT of it. Tonight will tap the 2nd lager keg from the 10g batch a few weeks ago, the first one will kick sometime tonight during the festivities (albeit just me and the husband); eager to see what lagering for 2 weeks did to the second keg.

Making my APA that was my very first recipe that wasn't following a kit or prior recipe... It feels good to get the pipeline back up to snuff

Was going to do 10g of the house lager today, but decided on only 5 since I want to do a stout next weekend, and there won't be room in the ferment fridge. Just now put it to bed, SG at 1.052 which is where I like it to be. Might be a bit more bitter than I like, misjudged the volume and the 30 minute N. Brewer addition will probably add more bitterness, but I'm not concerned. Just need to keep reminding myself that fresh S23 lager yeast has a pretty long lag, and I don't need to worry. Finally giving my 12g kettle a good hot oxyclean soak to get the crud off the bottom too; will turn it black (it's heavy-gauge aluminum) but I don't care that much. Just glad to have two good brews done for the weekend.

Made a batch that was 13 lbs of UK 2-row. Then I used up the last of my open hop packets, so I ended up adding an oz of Warrior at 60 minutes, then an assortment (less than .5 oz each) of Hallertau Mittelfrueh, US Provoak, and Pearle at 5 min. Pitched an old pack of S-05 that was in my fridge.

Not the most interesting of recipes, but I'm starting the new year with all fresh grain in the bins and still sealed bags of hops in the freezer.

Finally got around to brewing the sassafras ginger Saison. The brew day went very well until a quick connect sprung a leak. I double checked but I guess I missed one. Luckily it was only hot water. I needed to mop up anyway.

Brewed an esb/strong bitter tonight, pitched a couple hours ago, I got a bit too much wort and subsequently the OG was at .050 instead of .055.
Might have to start tinkering with less sparge water since BS seems consistent in overestimating grain absorption in the mash.

It's a 3 vessel e-herms Kal clone from the "Electric Brewery" with Kal's control box from his site, only I used my Sabco Kegs and a bunch of tri clover connections. Works awesome! Here it is in action with my double chillers. Ground water in one chiller and then ice water from the mash tun in the other chiller. I recirculate in the kettle until I lower the temp to just below pitching temp and then run it into my fermenter.
brew day.jpg

It's a 3 vessel e-herms Kal clone from the "Electric Brewery" with Kal's control box from his site, only I used my Sabco Kegs and a bunch of tri clover connections. Works awesome! Here it is in action with my double chillers. Ground water in one chiller and then ice water from the mash tun in the other chiller. I recirculate in the kettle until I lower the temp to just below pitching temp and then run it into my fermenter.
View attachment 713762
I can see why resistance was futile.

Back