So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
After what seems like all day spent driving around I finally have everything I need to brew up another batch of the House lager tomorrow. Just dumped the grain into the bins and gloated for a bit about having full ones again, not to mention fresh yeast and a well-stocked hop freezer. Gonna be a good day. The rain we've had the last couple of days in addition to cooler temps is going to help a LOT. Call me weird but I'm looking forward to cold as diddly brewdays again; getting up at the crack of stupid to beat the heat is wearing on this old gal. I'd much rather huddle over my HLT trying to keep warm than running three fans trying to keep cool, and being drenched in sweat at the end of a brewday at 9am, that started at 4am. Bring on fall/winter!

Taking the fam apple picking today but I think I'm going to try and fit in a brew day too. I'm thinking about doing my bourbon oaked strong ale in the hopes that we get a good snowy season this winter. The weather is clear and crisp today so its a perfect day to make a big snow-shoveler.

Brewing my attempt at a Paulaner Oktoberfest clone tomorrow, will be my first attempt at brewing since my coronavirus infection. I’ve held off because I lost all my smell and taste but it seems to have come back enough to brew.
Interesting brew day, took 2 hours to get conversion. It was a tad bit cooler than normal this morning, I was shooting for 149, but it dropped to 147. I was too lazy to boil some and I wanted the beer to be on the drier side anyways so let it roll checking every 30 minutes. I dry fired my HLT by accident during clean up.

Attachments

• 544FBB85-8793-4554-9182-8293BF8CB87B.jpeg
    544FBB85-8793-4554-9182-8293BF8CB87B.jpeg
    3.7 MB · Views: 26
  • 037C8B8A-5CEE-4462-9260-4406A9590190.jpeg
    037C8B8A-5CEE-4462-9260-4406A9590190.jpeg
    3.3 MB · Views: 26
  • 5A11F2C2-209C-4AF0-A638-C79773730BDA.jpeg
    5A11F2C2-209C-4AF0-A638-C79773730BDA.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 28
i'm brewing my 3rd batch since i started to boil my mash....hoping for a 3rd time of ~95% effec......

edit: brew be done...only pulled 88% effec though...i'll wallow in my tears now.... :(

Last edited:
i hope this wasn't a how's my crush question, and a just a before pic, without a after! ;)

(and that seems like a low OG? :mug:)

edit: and WTF is that sticking in your brew kettle? some weird beer toy? lol

Blonde Ale. 3.75 gallons. Amarillo @ 60, 10, flameout.

Last beer I made with Amarillo took a couple months in the bottle to get likeable. After that it was awesome.

Brewed up another batch of the Sabro/Citra yesterday. Bit peeved that someone else out on the interwebs stole my name for this one (Sabrotooth), or maybe came up with it first, but I really love this hop combo. This one is straight two row with no bittering, and late additions that I made up on the fly. Also fermenting on some fresh Notty to see how it does; previous batches have been done on Kveik with great success.

Looking to brew up a milk stout this weekend. Brewed almost every other kind of stout besides this over the years, so now is the time. Really trying to nail mouthfeel on this one, and not have it overly sweet even with the lactose.

Looking to brew up a milk stout this weekend. Brewed almost every other kind of stout besides this over the years, so now is the time. Really trying to nail mouthfeel on this one, and not have it overly sweet even with the lactose.
I brewed the Left Hand Milk Stout clone found on this site, last fall. I added some toasted coconut extract. It came out awesome and was the hit of a Christmas party I attended. It held its own on a blind taste test with Death By Coconut and Maui's HIWA Porter. *edit: Firestone Walker's Coconut Merlin.

Last edited:
Going to try a fig beer this weekend. I'm planning on adding 3lbs of figs picked off a family member's tree, frozen, chopped up to the boil of a fairly basic blond ale. A local brewery has a few fig beers that they have perfected. The best one being a fig/currant sour that was really good. I butchered an attempt at a clone so I figured I'd try and use the rest in something a little more basic first.

I brewed the Left Hand Milk Stout clone found on this site, last fall. I added some toasted coconut extract. It came out awesome and was the hit of a Christmas party I attended. It held its own on a blind taste test with Death By Coconut and Maui's HIWA Porter.
Just checked it out and it's actually remarkably similar to what I came up with. Only differences in the grist are I'm using mild malt for the base (since I already had it), I'm layering my crystal malts (so I also have some C120), and some of the quantities (most notably I'm using more Munich). But really very close all things considered.

Next Weekend
Brulosphers Best Blonde Ale - local Brew HQ in Dallas converted over to extract

Attachments

• BeerSmith 3.pdf
    165.4 KB · Views: 11
Going to do a double brew day today.

Batch 1: COVID Quad (Quad as in 4 sugar sources, not really a true belgian quad) - Maris Otter/Mild Malt, D-90, Maple Syrup and Honey. Fermenting w/ Hornindal and will be using Fuggles for bittering. Aiming for about 1.100 OG

Batch 2: OSLOberfest - Mild malt w/ some biscuit, RoastOat and CaraRed. Fermenting with Oslo kveik

going to try and squeeze one in this weekend since I don't have any airlocks to sniff at the moment... it gets me a little on edge.
Idk what I'll brew but it'll be somethin' good!

Brewed up another batch of the Sabro/Citra yesterday. Bit peeved that someone else out on the interwebs stole my name for this one (Sabrotooth), or maybe came up with it first, but I really love this hop combo. This one is straight two row with no bittering, and late additions that I made up on the fly. Also fermenting on some fresh Notty to see how it does; previous batches have been done on Kveik with great success.

We miss you on the "What are you Drinking Now" thread...post some pics! 🤘

OT... Imperial Stout to build yeast cake for a 18gal batch to age in a 15gal Rye Whiskey barrel with chillies/Coco Nibs/Vanilla. Also starting a Hazy IPA year long experiment. Same base beer with 12 hop variations... should've did this year's ago.

We miss you on the "What are you Drinking Now" thread...post some pics! 🤘

OT... Imperial Stout to build yeast cake for a 18gal batch to age in a 15gal Rye Whiskey barrel with chillies/Coco Nibs/Vanilla. Also starting a Hazy IPA year long experiment. Same base beer with 12 hop variations... should've did this year's ago.
I have exactly ONE cable that my phone will talk to my laptop with..and it's also the only cable that will charge my tablet. Lazy! I'll post some photos soon with my new stout that gets kegged tonight.

had to change my brew day since my starter looks dead and dont want to chance it.
my LHBS doesnt carry liquid yeast anymore so i cant run over and buy two pouches.
so going with a Double IPA instead with dry yeast.
cheers

Brewing up a batch of House lager today; Holiday ale will be next weekend and complicated, so I wanted to do something today that I can pretty much brew without thinking about it. Also it's tasty. Got lazy yesterday and didn't keg the stout, but I did clean the keg for it and it's now out of the ferment fridge settling down before finally running it into the keg. Oh and I need to test the IPA I did last weekend....note to self, there is NO such thing as too much homebrew....

Spur of the moment brew because I’ve been stewing about all my failed attempts to get a clone to taste like Guinness and I’m mad. I’ve read every webpage and article about how it’s done and as far as I’m concerned, and with all the batches I’ve brewed to prove it... nobody knows how! So I’m doing a small batch (2 gallons) of my own imagination and brain storming to see if I can come up with something better. I’ve thrown the traditional wisdom and brewing rules to the wind... F ‘em, I’m doing it my way.

Spur of the moment brew because I’ve been stewing about all my failed attempts to get a clone to taste like Guinness and I’m mad. I’ve read every webpage and article about how it’s done and as far as I’m concerned, and with all the batches I’ve brewed to prove it... nobody knows how! So I’m doing a small batch (2 gallons) of my own imagination and brain storming to see if I can come up with something better. I’ve thrown the traditional wisdom and brewing rules to the wind... F ‘em, I’m doing it my way.
We're rooting for you!

Back