So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing another batch of a Pale to suit my BL drinking son in-law.
Upping the ante on the hops a bit unawares...

Sparging an oat table saison. Going beautifully so far, didn't even need a vorlauf.

Starter is ready, 3711 with a vial of WLP644.

2nd go around brewing the Dragonmead Final Absolution Clone.

Writing was on the wall for this batch earlier in the week when the second step of my starter overflowed out of the 2L flask.

A friend showed up right as I lit the flame to heat up the mash water, so of course we started drinking far too early....

Good news: hit pre-boil volume exactly.

Bad news: Expected pre-boil gravity 1.072. Actual 1.052. WTF?

Whatever - added a little over 2 lbs of DME....moving on

Only when already had the chiller going did I realize two major errors:

1. Forgot to back out the :15 late addition 2 lbs of Simplicity candy syrup out of the Beer Smith recipe when calculating pre-boil gravity

2. Forgot to add the 2 lbs of Simplicity as a : 15 late addition.​

Oh well....

Curious how this will turn out with the DME instead of the sugar. Worst case scenario..I brewed beer.....

Double brew day tomorrow. One will be a Belgian enkel and the other a Citra IPA.

I've got to kill some kegs soon though for them. T-minus 3 weeks and counting.

Not this weekend. Fermenting fridge is full. Bottled a cider though. Moved a pale ale into secondary and threw some hops in with it for good measure.

Brewing the first all-grain in a very long time (maybe 5ish years) on equipment I've never used, with a recipe I made up. It meets all the guidelines for a pale ale, so I'm hoping it's good. We'll see.

Brewing an IPA and a Brown Ale today... Happy Brew Day!!!!

rig.JPG

Currently brewing a Kolsch. Turned out really well on the first try, so naturally I had to make some small changes!
Bubba's Kolsch (v 1.1)
Batch Size: 5.25 gal Style: Kölsch ( 6C)
Boil Size: 7.22 gal Style Guide: BJCP 2008
Color: 3.9 SRM Equipment: Bubba's Equipment
Bitterness: 27.7 IBUs Boil Time: 90 min
Mash Profile: Single Infusion, Medium Body, No Mash Out
Est OG: 1.050 (12.4° P)
Est FG: 1.013 SG (3.3° P) Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage
ABV: 5.0%

5.25 gal California, MD Filtered Water
9.00 g Calcium Chloride (Mash 60 min)
4.00 g Epsom Salt (MgSO4) (Mash 60 min)
4.00 g Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60 min)
2.50 ml Lactic Acid (Mash 60 min)
8.0 oz Rice Hulls (0.0 SRM)
7 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Malt, Ger (2.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
0.7 oz Perle [7.5%] - First Wort Hops
0.5 oz Tettnang [2.4%] - Boil 15 min
0.50 Whirlfloc Tablet (Boil 5 min)
1.0 oz Tettnang [2.4%] - Boil 5 min
1 pkgs German Ale/Kolsch (White Labs #WLP029)

Notes
Based on this recipe:
https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f62/bee-cave-brewery-koelsch-33548/
I added 4 oz Cara-Pils and 4 oz Munch,
switched the Perle hops to first wort, decreasing them to 0.7 oz
vice 1.0 oz, and added a touch more Tettnang to the last 5 minute
addition (1.0 oz vice 0.75). I also did a 90 minute boil vice 60.

I'm considering brewing a honey brown ale (clone of Back 40's Truck Stop Honey) tomorrow if I wake up early enough. If not it'll wait until Tuesday.

No brewing yet, but gotta secondary my dry stout on bourbon-soaked white oak. I wrote two recipes as well, #1 Burton strong ale, & Ordinary Bitter I'll brew 6 gallons of so I can make a gallon of malt vinegar.

Yes, why?

Didn't mean to sound like a jerk. Had a few too many last night. I guess I just got the feeling that nobody really reads the posts because there is very little interaction in this thread, just people stating what they're brewing. I was just curious, cuz I read the posts too. Interesting to see what everyone's brewing

Btw, mashing in an IPA right now.

Finally did my ESB from two weeks ago...but since I screwed up my volumes it is now an Ordinary bitter.

My Analog eBIAB test went moderately well in spite of multiple miscalculations on my part.

Brother inlaw says he'll buy the Mt. Ranier Cherries, if I brew something and use them...must be coming into season. I need to do something for the Summer, though...a lawnmower beer with Citra. Can I make those work together? Hmmm.

Today we made a American Blond Rye
Belgian pilsner 40%
GW Pale 40%
Rye 20%
Hallertau bittering
Re-pitch us-05

Brewed up 10 gallons of Oktoberfest to sit over the warm months. Looking forward to fall!

10g of Kolsch on tap right now - best Kolsch yet. Used 88/10/2 blend of Schill Cologne/Wey Pale Wheat/Sauermalz - WLP029. Delicious! Highly recommend the Cologne malt if you haven't tried it.

aYtFF4hNPlvrsZdL

Looks a lot darker than it really is due to the poor lighting and my crappy photography skills.

Down with the Oktoberfest, brother! Brewing up 10 gals. myself on Thursday! Enjoying the Summer Ale and Fat Tire already tapped. Two more weeks for the Porter and Scottish Ale.

Brewed 5 gallons this past Saturday. It was an Irish stout OG 1.051 to ferment in the primary for a week and then 3 months In a balcones single mast whiskey barrel. This recipe won first place in a competition at cedar creek brewery in seven points, Texas several months ago.

Brewed 6 gallons of hefeweizen today, transferred 5 gallons of Helles too a keg for secondary as well. I'll be brewing a hoppy export Sunday. Also will have to bottle the Helles and a table saison next weekend.

Did my first Biab with 13# of Red X malt and 1 oz cascade. 16 brix or 1.065 og. Got a 74.5% brew house efficiency for my first all grain one too.

Did my first Biab with 13# of Red X malt and 1 oz cascade. 16 brix or 1.065 og. Got a 74.5% brew house efficiency for my first all grain one too.

You're going to love the Red X.

Just did two recipes for a side by side biab. Two blondes, one with citra and the other hopped like Deschutes Fresh Squeezed {scaled to fit a blonde ale, of course}.

Didn't mean to sound like a jerk. Had a few too many last night. I guess I just got the feeling that nobody really reads the posts because there is very little interaction in this thread, just people stating what they're brewing. I was just curious, cuz I read the posts too. Interesting to see what everyone's brewing

Btw, mashing in an IPA right now.

So?

Thanks for the set up hanuswalrus, I get a lot of my brew ideas from this thread.

Put together a recipe for Mowing Mt. Ranier. If I was into labels, this one could be fun. It's a lawnmower American Ale with Citra hops and Mt Ranier cherries. I would love to brew it this weekend, but may not be able to get to it.

Latest posts

Back