So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tomorrow: Maris Otter Citra Amarillo IPA on the stovetop while watching NFL football and my Saison and Hickory Black IPA on tap? Yup, don't mind if I do. Class starts Monday (I teach) so time to get my kicks in.

I'm brewing a Vienna Simcoe smash right now. It's my first foil boil (my kitchen stove can do it!!!) and second all grain. It's also my first time using FWH and hop bursting. I'm ridiculously excited about this beer!

Brewed last night. My 1st lager - a LHBS extract kit. Dopplebock.

My 1st requiring a start yeast also which I got going on Thursday...

I was worried when reading their instructions about the primary needing 50-55 degree temps for fermentation... until I put a thermometer in my basement closet back in the corner... 54 degrees!!

smelled.awesome.

image-1514964135.jpg

Today In southern Maine, it's a balmy 25degrees might as well brew a brown

Brewed last night. My 1st lager - a LHBS extract kit. Dopplebock.

My 1st requiring a start yeast also which I got going on Thursday...

I was worried when reading their instructions about the primary needing 50-55 degree temps for fermentation... until I put a thermometer in my basement closet back in the corner... 54 degrees!!

smelled.awesome.

Congrats - I've got my first lager mashing right now! Just keep an eye on your temps since we're supposed to get a warm-up later this week (at least in Eastern PA - not sure if you're going to see it.)

calebstringer and i are brewing 20 gallons a piece today. I'm doing 10 of black pearl porter and 10 of the heavenly scourge black iipa and he is doing 10 of beer munchers esb and 10 of rodenbach grand cru.

2013-01-05 20.40.15.jpg

Did get the first lager under my belt today. Went pretty well other than not paying enough attention during my top-off. Overshot the water and ended up 1.061 and should have been 1.065. Could've been worse, I suppose, but still...

Just brewed a double IPA, a little low w/ the OG by a little bit but still tasted sweet & should pack a punch.

smokinop said:
Just brewed a double IPA, a little low w/ the OG by a little bit but still tasted sweet & should pack a punch.

Would you mind sharing a good double IPA recipe??

Picked up a chest freezer today for my keezer project and have a brown porter mashing as we speak.

Double IPA today. Any thoughts? Should I double pitch S-05?

Boil Size: 5.91 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.62 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 10.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 80.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 91.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramunich Malt (45.0 SRM) (this stuff is just laying around)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Dry Extract
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale #US-05) Yeast -

3lbs of breiss unhopped
3 lbs of light dme
muntons ale yeast
1oz of halltaue at 20 min
1 oz tettang at 10
Quick beer getting thristy lol!!

Doing my favorite black IPA today....Men in Black IPA. The kitchen is smelling good and the grain is about to be used for some bread.
Raining outside and chilly. The perfect day to stay in and brew whatever you like if you live in my area.

Double IPA today. Any thoughts? Should I double pitch S-05?

Boil Size: 5.91 gal
Post Boil Volume: 5.62 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.00 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.60 gal
Estimated OG: 1.080 SG
Estimated Color: 10.2 SRM
Estimated IBU: 80.8 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 91.6 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
3 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
1 lbs Munich Malt (9.0 SRM)
4.0 oz Cara-Pils/Dextrine (2.0 SRM)
12.0 oz Caramunich Malt (45.0 SRM) (this stuff is just laying around)
1 lbs 8.0 oz Wheat Dry Extract
6 lbs Pale Liquid Extract
1.00 oz Warrior [15.00 %] - Boil 60.0
1.00 oz Cascade [5.50 %] - Boil 15.0
1.00 oz Simcoe [13.00 %] - Boil 15.0
1.00 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 5.0
1.00 oz Citra [12.00 %] - Boil 5.0 min
1.0 pkg Safale #US-05) Yeast -

I would double pitch but I would also rehydrate the yeast.

Congrats - I've got my first lager mashing right now! Just keep an eye on your temps since we're supposed to get a warm-up later this week (at least in Eastern PA - not sure if you're going to see it.)

thx!

I should be good... later this week it'll be ready to be taken out of the 50-55, instructions say let it sit at 70 for 2-3 days before going into a secondary @ high 30s to low 40s. I'm hoping by the time our warmup hits it is ready for the 30s-40s. I can keg it and put it in the keezer which is kept around 38 for the secondary. Force carb later this month.

Brewing a Southern Tier Creme Brûlée Stout clone tonight and a Belgian pale ale this weekend. Both to enter in my first homebrew competition in February.

Working on a recipe for a La Fin Du Monde brew I might make this weekend. Let see... Anyone have a good clone recipe I might be able to borrow from?

I'll be brewing something this tomorrow night. I don't know exactly what yet, but it will be 10 gallons and will definitely include summit hops since I have a pound in the freezer.

Going to join the ranks of fellow home brewers with my first batch saturday. Then making a batch of ApfelWein as soon as my other carboy comes in on Monday.

SWMBO isn't much of a beer fan so I've been scouring the forums and other sites trying to find things that maybe she will enjoy. I think she will really like the Apfelwein. Also have another kit coming so that when I rack saturday's brew to the secondary, I can start my next batch. Oh what a great year 2013 is going to be!!!!

brewcephus said:
Going to join the ranks of fellow home brewers with my first batch saturday. Then making a batch of ApfelWein as soon as my other carboy comes in on Monday.

SWMBO isn't much of a beer fan so I've been scouring the forums and other sites trying to find things that maybe she will enjoy. I think she will really like the Apfelwein. Also have another kit coming so that when I rack saturday's brew to the secondary, I can start my next batch. Oh what a great year 2013 is going to be!!!!

Welcome and good luck!

Right now I'm about 15 minutes into the boil on my Irish Red Ale. This is my first brew in 2013 and it'll be ready for St. Patty's day.

My last brew of 2012 was a Vanilla Porter and it should be ready for the Super Bowl.

I just love brewing specific beers for specific events!!

Hoping to brew an AG Jamil's Evil Twin recipe today. Wanted to brew yesterday, but somewhere in between grumpy SWMBO and the daily grind it did not happen...wish me luck for today!

Back