So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Half way though the mash on chocolate rum ball stout (inspired by @day_trippr) then I will get second runnings for a s’mores porter.

Attachments

• C3FFD3C5-9F61-4249-AAA7-369EA7C8E5D0.jpeg
    C3FFD3C5-9F61-4249-AAA7-369EA7C8E5D0.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Brewed 2 brews yesterday, and realized my thermometer broke when heating up first mash. Had to guess so went ahead and dumped the grain then to HD to get a digital thermometer which was pretty descent. I was only off a degree.
Next problem was too much wort for a West coast DIPA. Damn near the top of primary bucket at transfer, but said the hell with it.
Wake up this morning and the wort is coming out of lid which was expected. Just opened the lid, cleaned it and with a pan underneath to capture whatever else. Should be ok I hope.
Other brew was a take on a Chimay red. Last one I used no hops and some spices and people liked it. This time 1.5 oz Mt Hood bittering and 1/2 oz Fuggles at 15. Also spices. Cinnamon, star anise, ginger root, juniper berry and sweet orange peel.

Did you toast them? How did it turn out? Was thinking about doing a toasted marshmallow stout
I did not toast them, however that would be a great idea if one would use them in secondary. The outside coating melted away and the marshmallow softened and remained mostly floating. Ill I’m not sure it’s going to contribute much, at this point. Already contemplating whether to make a marshmallow tincture or source some meadow-foam honey for priming. Toasting them would be more s’mores like in character thanks for bring it up.

Edit 10/18: the uncarbed beer had a tang which I think was from the marshmallow. I still like the idea of s’mores stout/porter so a future attempt I would likely have a tincture at the ready.
Spent jumbo marshmallows.
IMG_2221.jpeg

Last edited:
I did not toast them, however that would be a great idea if one would use them in secondary. The outside coating melted away and the marshmallow softened and remained mostly floating. Ill I’m not sure it’s going to contribute much, at this point. Already contemplating whether to make a marshmallow tincture or source some meadow-foam honey for priming. Toasting them would be more s’mores like in character thanks for bring it up.
Spent jumbo marshmellows.
View attachment 830680
oh nice ... also I wonder of smaller marshmallows would melt down faster contributing more sugar and flavor to the overall brew. ... I hear batch #2 coming soon. lol

Last edited:
Managed to sneak out of work a bit early today, so I'm doing a rare evening brewday. Today it's a Mosaic Smash, and for the very first time in my history the hops will go in commando. Got me a paint stirrer that created a very nice glump of hop goo when I tested it with some very old (2019 I think) pellet hops, and very little got past the mesh basket I turned over it before transferring; so this just might work. Mashing right now, I do love the smell of a straight two-row mash.

Brewing my annual gluten free Maple Milk Stout today. A candy cap mushroom tincture will be used to impart the maple flavor...the results are always been bangin'!

Tomorrow I am trying my hand at a rice lager, for the very first time. I've had great success in the last year with cream ales, so I thought let's take it to the next level. Got the grain milled, and the rice as well. My rice cooker will handle 4lbs of rice no problem for the cereal mash (somebody forgot to buy minute rice at the store today so have to go old school). Looking forward to this brewday.

Not a beer, but I just put in the fermenter what should become a red wine.
Some juice left and now thinking of making a beer-wine hybrid tomorrow :)

Saturday - second iteration of last year's attempt at a pumpkin ale, that turned out better than expected with some re-priming and a few months to age; hoping to do a little better this time around, first time around. Relying on my favorite yeast ever, S-04, to be the hero.

Slowly getting back in brewing after a hiatus. Brewed a Porter couple weeks back. Now throwing a 8.5% Imperial Milk Stout on top of the yeast cake. Doing half as Peanut Butter. Half as a French Toast Stout. A third incarnation of the yeast will be a Cigar City Hunahpu Clone'ish attempt. Using S-04 so probably only plan on a 10.5%er.

Last edited:
Why the parsnips? Just curious.

Same for me to be honest :)
I like the taste of it, seems rich in potential sugars, and in the end just curious of what it will provide in terms of flavours. I also suspected the pumpkin to be too dull in terms of craziness for a Halloween beer :)

Bottled a few days ago in two versions, one neat and one with added Speculoos spices and a bit of stevia for sweetness.

Doing a step mash right now on my Pumpkin Ale that I make every year for Thanksgiving. It has 16 pounds of pumpkin, fresh spices and a nice grain bill, along with molasses and Belgian Candi 45. Pumpkin Ale...... I know, I know, but my family and neighbors love it and request it every year, so what's a brewer to do! Have a great weekend everyone!

John

Attachments

• pumpkin.jpg
    pumpkin.jpg
    2 MB · Views: 0
Doing a step mash right now on my Pumpkin Ale that I make every year for Thanksgiving. It has 16 pounds of pumpkin, fresh spices and a nice grain bill, along with molasses and Belgian Candi 45. Pumpkin Ale...... I know, I know, but my family and neighbors love it and request it every year, so what's a brewer to do! Have a great weekend everyone!

John

Give the people what they want!

Latest posts

Back