So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Gearing up to do a new NEIPA recipe I came up with. Not sure what day to do it, but weather looks like it's forcing me to brew Saturday.

Plans for tomorrow

IPA
50% Vienna 5.5 lbs
50% Pilsen 5.5 lbs

1oz of each
Mosaic 10.6% a/a
Citra 13.3% a/a
Ekuanot (lupulin) 24.9% a/a
Pacific Gem 14.1% a/a
Mandarina Bavaria 6.1% a/a

Us-05

Brewing up Biermunchers Centennial Blonde for my first all grain/biab brew tomorrow. Supposed to be warm outside 65 or so and am excited to fire up the new propane burner and see how it all works out. Only variation is i had a brain fart and told her to crush .5# carapils versus the .75# in the recipe even though it was on my phone.

Four o'clock on Friday is close enough to call it the weekend. Brewing a Blonde Ale and drinking a HB Amber Lager.

F4603FFD-C061-4307-8F51-DDBFF1488992.jpeg

Brewed the first half of the Britfoot barleywine tonight. 90 minute mash, 120 minute boil, and hit my numbers perfectly. 1.098 OG and 1.5 packs of US-05 pitched at 65F. Looking good!

Celebrating National Homebrew day by brewing up a session IPA with the wife.
Also cold crashing a honey APA that I will keg later tonight. Wooo!!

It's planting time on the farm but the weather isn't cooperating. I brewed yesterday because we had high wind and rain showers so I couldn't do any preplant spraying. It snowed last night and is still half raining/snowing so I’m brewing again. Besides, it's National Homebrew Day.

I was going to brew a Mosaic SMaSH but only had 4lbs of Golden Promise so I added 3.5lbs of Pils (4 gal batch) and called it a Pale Ale. Drinking a HB Fizzy Lager.

1A30C6FF-D216-4A98-BF51-7BA326142C34.jpeg

Brewed up a Smash-ish beer for my neighborhood block party with stone path pils, golden promise, hallertau blanc and 34/70... cheers to all you homebrewers!

A saison inspired ale, mostly pilsner malt with a touch of wheat, a blend of two yeast strains, crushed coriander seed, orange zest and a couple cardamom pods... fermenting at 20,5ºC as I write...

Brewed a 5gal batch of oatmeal cream stout yesterday. I walked away to grab the yeast. Brew kettle tumbled from the table while siphoning into the fermenter. Ugh. Saved about a gallon. i’m Pitching coffee and Cocoa nibs in a couple days. Brew kettle is a little jacked, not the best brew day.

I brewed the first batch on my 5 gallon system today. I still have a few things that need to be worked out. first **** my hose. It's kind of sucked for a long time and now it's really gone. So much wasted water. But at least it wound up in the ground. I want to work on my cleaning system. I feel like I wasted a lot of water doing that. I'm going to figure that. Because I don't trust my hose I didn't get to fully try my system out with my plate chiller. So I need a new hose and maybe to do some work on the outside faucet. Anyway, aside from that, everything was going alright. Got my mash going well, striking temps wound up pretty much spot on.

I made my big mistake during the sparge. I was rushing because I was making a hard cider at the same time as I was mashing and wound up about 5 minutes late on heating up my sparge water. I pushed the heat got it in and started and it went ok. But I forgot to close off the valve to my kettle and lost a lot of wort. Also some bad overflow issues wasted a healthy amount of wort.

But I got everything done, and I made beer. Hopefully ina few weeks I'll be drinking said beer.

It's planting time on the farm but the weather isn't cooperating. I brewed yesterday because we had high wind and rain showers so I couldn't do any preplant spraying. It snowed last night and is still half raining/snowing so I’m brewing again. Besides, it's National Homebrew Day.

I was going to brew a Mosaic SMaSH but only had 4lbs of Golden Promise so I added 3.5lbs of Pils (4 gal batch) and called it a Pale Ale. Drinking a HB Fizzy Lager.

View attachment 625380
I have that same digital thermometer. Works great

Could not get around to brewing this weekend so Saturday I will get on it and brew the Triple hopped Miller Lite cream ale from the ale recipe section. I swear I will get to it this time, Mother's Day be damned (love you Mom).

I've brewed something every weekend for the last 5 weeks, so taking a weekend off, also out of grain. But it's already the new week, so planning on my competition Czech this coming weekend. Brewed one up last weekend that is going to be too strong (7.2%!!! Geez!) for even a Premium Czech, so this weekend will ramp it waaaaay down to 10lbs pilsner and see what we get. Making some water adjustments helped big time, so hoping using less grain will still get me in the 4.5-5% range.

Planning on brewing a small batch of Irish Stout with some leftover grains this weekend.
Changed up slightly, I brewed an Irish Coffee Stout today. First time formulating my own recipe. It wasn't without a couple surprises but hopefully nothing that will affect the finished product too much. Now just waiting on the bubbles.

20190512-110459.jpg

Last edited:
One of my favorites...DARTH DOG. A smoked bourbon barrel porter made with a tea from Jack Danials smoking chips. Tried something a little different this time. I mashed at 144 - 146 degrees this time to increase the ABV. Seems to haveworked so far.
My OG came out to 1.082 rather then around 1.06 from the brews before.
"THE DARK SIDE OF GOOD"

Please report back on your thoughts on the yeast.

The starter tasted and smelled great. Got a lot of lemon character out of it, along with the usual Belgian/saison phenols. Starter went from 1.040 to 1.008 in 24 hours on the stir plate and felt very dry. I pitched 300mL of slurry into 5 gallons of 1.043 wort at 72F and I had airlock activity in under 5 hours. It's been going crazy all day today but is starting to slow down a little now. Ferm temp has been around 74-75F internal, which is at the top of the White Labs stated range. Airlock smells great too.

Got an opportunity to brew this weekend, have base malt have yeast have a gas bottle I should use up before going electric anyway, have no hops and not a clue what to brew... If I order tonight they shold make it here by friday, just gotta figure out what I need.

Edit: I do have a bag of juniper blocks I've been drying for a wood beer experiment... Perhaps a some sort of a scottish ale or sth infused with juniper? Never done a wood beer so a bit unsure how to add it, tea perhaps?

Last edited:
Cobbling up a recipe as I write this, brewing tomorrow. Aiming high, gonna be a big big beer with lots of layers. If you spot something obvious critique welcome before I crush the grains.

Good Wood

5.5Kg Viking Malt Pale Ale
150g Viking Malt Caramel 400
100g Simpson's DRC 300 EBC
100g Château Special B
400g Muscovado syrup

15g Fuggles @ 60min
20g East Kent Goldings @ 20min

Mash 60min @ 66°c

Late addition: 200g toasted juniper pieces 10 days before bottling

I’m brewing an American Stout this weekend. Revision #2. 1st time using Flagship yeast for a Stout. Soooo excited to ditch this busy crazy work week and focus on brewing and having a great time.
Cheers HBT peeps!
[emoji482]

Going to do 10 gallons of Saison tomorrow. Spun up two new-to-me Imperial strains this week to bank some.

They aren't kidding when they compare the flocculation between these two. The second pic was taken ~20 minutes after I stopped the plates - both flasks had hit terminal gravity. The B51 Workhorse dropped like freakin' gravel, while the B64 Napoleon looked like wheat flour. It's taken three days at near 32°F for the latter to drop almost clear, so I'll put the beer using the former on tap before the latter...

dueling_yeast_1.jpg

dueling_yeast_2.jpg

Cheers!

Last edited:
I'm going to do an English bitter using pale ale malt, some homemade dark invert syrup, Goldings hops that just came in the mail, and S-33 yeast. No crystal malts.

Also I may start a 1-gallon batch of mead.

I'm going to do an English bitter using pale ale malt, some homemade dark invert syrup, Goldings hops that just came in the mail, and S-33 yeast. No crystal malts.

Also I may start a 1-gallon batch of mead.

Is it difficult to make that syrup? That was my original idea too but I'm too much of a wuss to boil 150°c sugar so went with muscovado instead

Back