So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, going to prep water & mill grains today and brew tomorrow if honey-dos don't get in the way. Seems like there's less time for brewing since I retired. Maybe the time spent drinking factors into that :)

Bourbon Barrel Rye PA

American IPA (14 B)

Type: All Grain
Batch Size: 6.00 gal
Boil Size: 8.50 gal
Boil Time: 75 min
End of Boil Vol: 6.95 gal
Final Bottling Vol: 5.50 gal
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage

12 lbs American Premium 2 Row (Great Western) (1.8 SRM) Grain 76.2%
3 lbs Breiss Rye Malt (4.0 SRM) Grain 19.0 %
4.0 oz Crystal 120, 2-Row, (Great Western) (120.0 SRM) Grain 1.6 %
8.0 oz Turbinado (10.0 SRM) Sugar 3.2 %
36.00 g Admiral [10.50 %] - Boil 60.0 min Hop 38.3 IBUs
20.00 g Chinook [14.00 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 17.2 IBUs
20.00 g Sybilla [6.40 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 7.9 IBUs
20.00 g Chinook [14.00 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 0.0 IBUs
20.00 g Sybilla [6.40 %] - Boil 0.0 min Hop 0.0 IBUs
2.0 pkg US-05 Re-hydrated
3.00 tsp Yeast Nutrient DAP
4.00 oz Oak Chunks (Secondary 14.0 days)
11.00 oz Bourbon (Secondary 14.0 days)

Gravity, Alcohol Content and Color

Est Original Gravity: 1.067 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.012 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 7.3 %
Bitterness: 63.3 IBUs
Est Color: 7.5 SRM

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Light Body, No Mash Out
Sparge Water: 5.34 gal
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: TRUE

Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 12.0 oz
Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Mash PH: 5.20

Mash In Add 20.35 qt of water at 165.0 F 150.0 F 90 min

Batch sparge with 2 steps (1.04gal, 4.30gal) of 168.0 F water

I had a hop-heavy weekend. I bottled a Citra IPA on Friday, brewed NB's Ace of Spades AG kit today, and followed that by racking this year's version of my house rye IPA to the brite tank. Not sure what I was thinking when I planned this string of brews but I don't think there will be much complaining.

Brewing up an APA with 2:1 AU Summer hops and Cascade. First time using either of these hops and my first time using 100% RO and adding salts to reach desired pH. This is also the first beer that I will be kegging! Hopefully it turns out!

Okay, that just sounds insanely delicious. Have you brewed this before? Where did you get the recipe?

Agreed. Recipe please

Ask and you shall receive...warning, could turn into a long post:

This is based off my "Boston Brahmin" barleywine recipe that was easily received as my best beer brewed. It was a 15% bourbon barleywine so I simply turned this down a notch to around 11%

I'll put this into the easiest translatable format so that people can do what they want with it:

Southern Kind of Rye:
Overall profile:
Project ABV: 10.7
OG: 1.1.04
FG: 1.024
IBU: 116
SRM: 18
2 hour boil
Mash @ 154

Grain bill:
34% Maris Otter
34% Pale Ale Malt
11% Rye
5% Flaked Barley
3% Carapils
3% C20
3% C60
3% C120
3% Brown Sugar

Some notes on the grain bill. Obviously these numbers are slightly rounded. Adjust according to your taste. For me, this is a sweet, smoozy (smooth booze) caramel bomb. Great head, mouthfeel and lacing. Basically I simply subtracted the 15% grainbill I had for munich, vienna, and victory in the "Boston Brahmin" and put it rye instead. I don't see the rye shining much with the bourbon and malt bill but it will compliment nicely. Use rye whiskey for oaking if you really want it to step up.

Hop Profile:
Yes...I am a hop head. Even with these beers I go crazy with the hops. If its not for you, I suggest getting around 25% of the IBUs (30 IBU) from a FWH addition. Do what you will with 30-0 additions but I late hopped the s*!t out of this. Even if your not a hop head, you really do need at least 90 IBU to balance this out...just give a majority of the IBU to later additions to smooth it out. I'd suggest chinook and liberty as an amazing combination. Great spice and hop presence. I did a mix and match of C hops on this to get rid of some of last years hops.

Yeast/fermentation:
WLP001 all the way. I used this with the 15% and many others over 12% with no issues. 125% pitch rate, no oxygen, no need to repitch...works like a charm. The 15% carbed in 2 weeks. I'd say to try for 65 degrees with a free rise and give it 5 weeks on the cake, then secondary and give it the bourbon oak for 1-2 weeks

Bourbon oak:
Soak 1/2 an oak spiral PER GALLON for 1-2 weeks prior to secondary. I only did a week and over a year later it was still the highlight. Use decent bourbon.

Enjoy. This is a beer that will be drinkable (with a hop charge) early and be amazing after 1-2 years. Good luck

Just got around to my wee heavy.
That's gonna have just a touch of alcohol :)
image.jpg

I haven't made anything English-style in a couple years, so I have an ESB on deck for this weekend.

Friday or Saturday (wife's on night shift both nights). The plan is too make a SMaSH beer using the wild cluster (I think) hops I found/picked/dried back in September.

I am patterning (kind of) my beer after the New Albion Ale clone recipe found in BYO magazine. I'm using the same grain bill, mash schedule and hop schedule.

I'm obviously swapping my wild hops for the cascade in the recipe. I will also be increasing the first bittering addition just a little to make up for the difference of the 6%AA listed in the recipe and the AA% I've settled on for the cluster hops (5% which is the bottom of the range). Of course I have no way of actually knowing what the real AA% is or even if the hops are actually cluster hops. Oh well!

I will also be using dry yeast instead of the liquid yeast specified in the recipe (Wyeast 1028). I will use Danstar Windsor if available at my LHBS with S-04 as an alternate option.

Well I brewed yesterday does that count?

Started a Porter which turned out to be more of a Stout!
Also a Trappist APA (citra-mosaic)
Last but not least small batch of spice ale - pumpkin pie spice at flame out - (pumpkin without pumpkin)

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

I think I'm making an APA with Zythos and centennial hops. Got a deal on some LME and will do a short brew session Sunday.

On Sunday I will be brewing a Flanders red to be pitched onto my de bom yeast cake along with dregs from 4 beers I've saved.

Planning on doing an American IPA using all Munich malt with Magnum hops for bittering and then mosaic for the late and dry hop additions Friday. Basically the same recipe for the American IPA I made a few months back that is the best beer I have made but subbing out Zythos for the Mosaic this time.

I'll be doing 11 gallons of a cream ale recipe I threw together before running out to the lhbs. One carboy will be good old lawn mowing beer. And one carboy will get a couple of vanilla beans, and possibly some lactose in secondary.

I'll be brewing an American IPA today as well, using Nelson Sauvin, Zythos, and Amarillo. My brother in law came down from Michigan for Thanksgiving and will be assisting. Last time he brewed with me I was doing extract. He's excited to try his hand at all grain.

West Coast Amber a la JZ Evil Twin..maybe bump the hop bill a bit more towards a red rocket..either way deliciousness shall ensue!

Prepping for my first Vienna Lager.
Going to brew it with my mum when she gets over from England.

Doing a zombie dust clone tomorrow. Interested to see how it turns out. My last IPA which I brewed 3 months ago and drank one tonight is waaaay better than when I had one a few months ago. Only a few left of that batch so time to go again!

Brewed yesterday... hopbursted a can of Cooper's Blonde for my second solo batch ever. Now both carboys are full. Which is nice... but a little depressing. The wait will give me time to start researching my next one... without a can Lol.

Got a grain mill so this is my first test batch...interested to see if having the grains freshly crushed plays an impact on taste. Using leftover HBC 342 and summit to hop a Rye Pale Ale...interested to see how my efficiency plays out....

Got a grain mill so this is my first test batch...interested to see if having the grains freshly crushed plays an impact on taste. Using leftover HBC 342 and summit to hop a Rye Pale Ale...interested to see how my efficiency plays out....

Good rule of thumb that has served me well is to set the mill gap to a tight width of a credit card.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew because it impresses people

I just brewed my first all-grain beer. A 3-gallon Belgian dubbel. I had trouble keeping the mash temperature steady, but the iodine test says I got 100% conversion. I was excited that the OG came back at 1.08-something, almost 1.09. Then I noticed I only had 2.5 gallons. I didn't take another gravity reading after adding 1/2 gallon of water, but it should be just over 1.07 -- right what I was shooting for.

5 lb American Pale 2-Row
1 lb American Munich
8 oz Belgian Special B
1 lb sugar
15 grams SuperAlpha 8.7% hop pellets, 45 minutes
Wyeast 1762 Belgian Abbey II

The sugar was supposed to be light-brown candi sugar, but the jar broke and spilled stickiness all over the kitchen so I just use table sugar.

Now I need to do a 4 or 5 gallon low-gravity beer. Something simple, like a SMaSH with just straight pale ale malt, SuperAlpha hops (because the bag is open, and they smelled wonderful in the boil) and Nottingham yeast.

Almost halfway thru the boil of my APA! Gotta clean and sanitize my primary bucket and cool the wort. Also will add the first hops at 20 min which is the latest addition of hops I've seen for this style. But I guess that balances with the total bill of 5 ozs (1.5 at 20, same at 10, then 2 at flameout).

Back