So who's brewing this weekend?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewed up an India Rye brown ale on Saturday. I will be brewing "Dank you very much" hoppy saison next Saturday.

Planning to brew this weekend. Just need to pick a recipe and set aside a bit of time. Lots going on. I need a fresh Pale Ale or similar beer for the spring. Maybe a wit.

I plan on brewing this weekend. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone for my husband. I ordered a mini mash by mistake. I've brewed the extract kit for him before, which I might add turned out pretty gosh darn tasty! Being fairly new to this hobby, I've convinced myself that I'm just not ready to break away from LME/DME, but my husband keeps bugging me about when I'm gonna make "his brew".....now I'm forced to advance myself.:) Oh well, gotta learn eventually. It'll be interesting. Wish me luck!

I plan on brewing this weekend. Sierra Nevada Pale Ale clone for my husband. I ordered a mini mash by mistake. I've brewed the extract kit for him before, which I might add turned out pretty gosh darn tasty! Being fairly new to this hobby, I've convinced myself that I'm just not ready to break away from LME/DME, but my husband keeps bugging me about when I'm gonna make "his brew".....now I'm forced to advance myself.:) Oh well, gotta learn eventually. It'll be interesting. Wish me luck!

There are very few things you can't make with LME / DME. Don't rush away from it until you're really ready. Cheers and welcome to the bottomless pit that is our hobby.

There are very few things you can't make with LME / DME. Don't rush away from it until you're really ready. Cheers and welcome to the bottomless pit that is our hobby.

That said, don't be scared of doing the PM/mini mash. It's not that scary! And you already know where to come for any tips/advice.

Ha, I have recently realized I can go back to extract brews for some test recipes and extract/steeping grains for others.

Finally going to try my hand at a Saison. Went to mpls last week, stopped by Northern Brewer, picked up a bunch of ingredients (including some wyeast 3711!) and plan on brewing on Friday! Can't wait

Do not force yourself to brew out of your comfort level. Then again do not be afraid of trying anything new. The PM/Minimash kits take a bit longer, but are still pretty simple to do. The only difference is that you are getting some of the sugars from base malts and the specialty grains, and that your grain steep will take longer. I would suggest maintaining temps by wrapping the pot in sleeping bags or a winter coat when you brew it up rather than attempting to dial in your stove to keep it at mashing temperatures.

Planning to make a saison IPA that will get some Spanish cedar in secondary a la Jester King El Cedro.

I may wash the yeast cake and pitch a Jester King Black Metal like black imperial saison onto it.

There might be a trend here... (need to finish off some 3711 jars i have left over and I really like Jester King).

Might brew my 14th batch of 2014 this coming weekend. Session IPA is on the menu.

Brewing a Witbier next Wednesday, but doing a protein rest at 122F, then using direct fire and recirculation to get it to saccrification temp. I've been doing this for mash-out for a while now, and think I know where to turn off the heat to get it up to temp without overshooting. Wish me luck!

Brewing a Witbier next Wednesday, but doing a protein rest at 122F, then using direct fire and recirculation to get it to saccrification temp. I've been doing this for mash-out for a while now, and think I know where to turn off the heat to get it up to temp without overshooting. Wish me luck!

This is my standard, I mash thin to make sure there is even flow throughout the grain bed since I have superheated a few mashes (hot pockets form and pretty soon your mash is up over 180) and have learned to cut the heat about 10-15 degrees before my desired temp and then make small adjustments if needed. Best of luck!!

I will finally be brewing an IPA this weeked, but using some newer German varieties for late additions and dryhop. Pretty excited to see how it turns out.

after a few weeks of tweeking the recipe and (im)patient waiting for my mystic yeast culture to get moving...this is my weekend to try out my lemon zest saison...hopfully on sat(the fam would not be pleased if i skipped easter again)

Doing a honey orange wheat tomorrow night (sun stays out until 10pm now)

Doing an amber on saturday

I do all grain using a BIAB method. It is super easy, and I do the mash step on top of the stove, and boil outside on a propane burner. If you can bake a cake from scratch, you can do all grain with Brew in a Bag (actually mash in a bag).

Doing my first 2.5gal BIAB in the morning(ish). Attempting to recreate/improve an English IPA I made recently as an extract.

That usually works fine for me too. My 2nd box,an Irish Red E/SG kit came in this morning @ 9:15. The first box with the 2/S-04 yeasts & ESB kit came in last Monday. Gotta get spring water today,new exhaust on car tomorrow morning,& son's birthday & Easter on Sunday. Maybe Sunday morning I can brew one of'em?...

Mashing in an IPA now. I was undecided on hop schedule until this morning but going with Chinook and Mosaic and a little Amarillo in the dry hop.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1397837521.111201.jpg
Just mashed in a oatmeal stout.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Unfortunately, no. I just use a fine mesh strainer and gravity into the fermentor to aerate. It has worked for me so far.

Sorry if this is a little OT but I was digging through the basic brewing archive and Don Osborne had brought on a few different Brett only beers. He mentioned a paper that, IIRC, RR Vinnie was involved with and they had noticed big taste differences between varying O2 additions. I remember Don saying that next time he would try no airation. Have you read this paper? Have you tried both ways?

I'm just curious because I have a Brett beer on the docket this summer as well.

I'm brewing up a 2.5 gallon batch (all-grain) of Yooper's House Pale Ale tomorrow. Question though: she mashes at 154, I'm not sure if it's a fly or batch sparge. I do a batch sparge and usually drain the tun, then sparge with 2 steps of equal amounts of water. I punched in her reciepe and BeerSmith is telling me to sparge with .57 gallons and then with 1.57 gallons (and it has neglected to mention 'drain tun', which it usually does). Does this seem odd?

Sorry if this is a little OT but I was digging through the basic brewing archive and Don Osborne had brought on a few different Brett only beers. He mentioned a paper that, IIRC, RR Vinnie was involved with and they had noticed big taste differences between varying O2 additions. I remember Don saying that next time he would try no airation. Have you read this paper? Have you tried both ways?

I'm just curious because I have a Brett beer on the docket this summer as well.

I havent seen that paper or heard that but thats interesting. This is my first all brett beer so i will see how it turns out.

Just got my replacement spikes kettle in (ben if you read this ship the 10g in a slightly bigger box both time a spigot sized hole was in the box when arrived) so I will be doing my first full boil tomorrow. Local brew shops lagunitas ipa extract clone. Just finished my igloo 10g mash tun so all grain in the future.... this bug.... I done got bit.

Latest posts

Back