So who's brewing New Year's Day?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

seatazzz

Well-Known Bloviator & Pontificator
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
The porter I've got in the ferment fridge will be ready to keg by Wednesday, so I'm planning a nice Mosaic Smash to ring in the new year (if the hops I ordered get here in time). If they don't I'll just brew a basic IPA with Cascade, Crystal, and Chinook, and dry hop the heck out of it with Mosaic. We're staying home to avoid the crazies (also we're old) so I'll be able to get an early start on the 1st. Anyone else?

I'm probably going to brew tomorrow. If weather delays the brew, I might end up doing it on the 31st or the 1st.

Yes we are! The yeast from Fuller's IPA is going strong. Planning to mill the grains & prepare everything else tomorrow.

fullers_yeast_starter.jpg

I have to work so I have to wait until the 3rd . I have someone coming over to see how to brew . I've made beer for him and now he wants to see what the process is. May be a new brewer 2020!

Knowing how my New Year's Eve will likely go, I think all I'll be brewing is coffee.

But I do have a Smithwick's clone I wanted to make this weekend and it didn't happen so maybe…..

Brewing on New Years Day has become a personal tradition for the last 6 years. Every year I pick a new style to start off the year with. This year it is a New Zealand Pilsner starting around 5 in the morning.
I like it. A new year, a new beer.
Brewing a Marzen for a first time lager tomorrow. Also doing it as a warm ferment lager.

i'm planing on a 100% muinich homemalt beer tomorrow...the real question is, who's going to start the "how many gallons in 2020" thread! :)

I like it. A new year, a new beer.
Brewing a Marzen for a first time lager tomorrow. Also doing it as a warm ferment lager.

Yes, I have done this the past six years. It was getting harder to do a new style every year, since I brew so many during the rest of my brew season. Luckily, I think I have the next few years covered using Beer Styles from Around the World by Horst Dornbusch. Plenty of styles not covered by the BJCP to look at.

This is my third year in a row of brewing on NYD. Got the mash going for a nice Mosaic Smash as YVH came through again, my hops got here yesterday. Only hitch so far is my surge protector died, found another one though; who DOESN'T have about 15 surge protectors/extension cords lying around the house?

Finished with the NZ Pilsner and tucked it into the fermentation chamber to stabilize the temperature before pitching the yeast. Nelson Sauvin hops smell amazing but I hope not too overpowering.

I am brewing an Irish Red as I am typing this about 25 minutes into the boil. Thank god for electric brewing I am brewing in shorts down in the basement. Time for an upgrade soon the 110 system is great but is slow to heat up.

Brewed an APA with a boatload of late hops, and pitched Voss kveik at 99F. New Year, new beer!

Undershot my volume by about 1/2 gallon, but the damn thing smelled SO good going into the fermenter. When I opened the fresh bag of hops this morning both the husband and I stuck our noses in and took huge whiffs...nothing smells better than freshly opened Mosaic hops, in my opinion. Yeast took off running about 5 hours after pitching, airlock is going nuts, and I cannot wait for this one to be done. First time doing this beer with absolutely NO bittering addition, everything went in late & flameout. Gonna dry hop the hell out of it too.

Didn’t make New Year’s Day - did a “Frosty Balls” charity motorcycle ride. Brewed an Irish Red today though.

Back