So since sunlight skunks beer.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desert_Sky

Since 1998
Reaction score
What about boiling outdoors with the lid off? Is one hour worth of direct sunlight enough to skunk the hops in the wort?

I do not think so. That would be a very quick reaction and as such fresh hops may not fair so well out in the elements while growing. I know the lupulin glands are towards the center of the cone but still, one hour, ****, all green and clear bottle beer would be skunky without question if it happened that fast.

Chimone said:
What about boiling outdoors with the lid off? Is one hour worth of direct sunlight enough to skunk the hops in the wort?

Skunking only happens after the hops are isometerized (chemically altered) through boiling. I wouldnt worry about it.

Right! If sunlight was a problem before boiling, it would be very stinky out in the hop yard!

Hmm, I don't know what skunky hops smell like... but I know when someone references skunky weed (close hop relative) it means that weed smells strong and good. I wonder if skunking the beer on purpose would be such a bad thing? For certain styles and all.

seefresh said:
Hmm, I don't know what skunky hops smell like... but I know when someone references skunky weed (close hop relative) it means that weed smells strong and good. I wonder if skunking the beer on purpose would be such a bad thing? For certain styles and all.

Its the same molecule the Skunk itself emits, so its literally a skunk smell/taste.
Its not a figure of speech.

I have always wondered why beer would come in green and clear bottles if it can skunk so easilly?

All I can think of is they are sacrificing the possibility of skunking for a "different" looking bottle.

Any thoughts?

Skunkiness in beer occurs on the converted hop bittering component (isohumulone). Formation of this component occurs in the kettle while boiling so you can not form much skunky aroma until boiling is near completion. However, once isohumulone is formed, it can easily be chemically cleaved with light, particularly UV light, to produce the skunky compound. So boiled wort or fermenting wort sitting in light and/ or the sun can become skunky, it does not have to be fermented first. Wort and fermenting wort will react to light slower than beer mainly because it is cloudy and darker in color so the light can not penetrate as well. Thus, the reaction to form skunky wort or fermenting wort is slower, but it is still happening. Beer in sunlight can become skunky within a few minutes (2 - 10 ) depending on the light, beer clarity, color and isohumulone content of the beer. Finally, the skunkiness in beer is the result of a compound called 3-mthylbut-2-ene-1-thiol. This is very very similar to a compound found in the skunk odor, but from a chemist's perspective not quite identical. Close enough for our purposes anyways. So be careful boiling in sunlight and don't let your wort sit for long. Also, cover those fermenters so light is eliminated. I cover my glass carboys with dark t-shirts to protect them from the light.

I hope this helps you make better beer!! .

Dr Malt:D

seefresh said:
How come I've never had a skunky newcastle before?

because Newcastle doesn't use any hops...
Thats-Funneh.gif

Dr Malt said:
Skunkiness in beer occurs on the converted hop bittering component (isohumulone). Formation of this component occurs in the kettle while boiling so you can not form much skunky aroma until boiling is near completion. However, once isohumulone is formed, it can easily be chemically cleaved with light, particularly UV light, to produce the skunky compound. So boiled wort or fermenting wort sitting in light and/ or the sun can become skunky, it does not have to be fermented first. Wort and fermenting wort will react to light slower than beer mainly because it is cloudy and darker in color so the light can not penetrate as well. Thus, the reaction to form skunky wort or fermenting wort is slower, but it is still happening. Beer in sunlight can become skunky within a few minutes (2 - 10 ) depending on the light, beer clarity, color and isohumulone content of the beer. Finally, the skunkiness in beer is the result of a compound called 3-mthylbut-2-ene-1-thiol. This is very very similar to a compound found in the skunk odor, but from a chemist's perspective not quite identical. Close enough for our purposes anyways. So be careful boiling in sunlight and don't let your wort sit for long. Also, cover those fermenters so light is eliminated. I cover my glass carboys with dark t-shirts to protect them from the light.

I hope this helps you make better beer!! .

Dr Malt:D

So, Doc,

Are we just talking about sunlight or would my carboy that is in the basement being exposed to the light from lightbulbs, and not the sun, be affected?

loop

loopmd said:
So, Doc,

Are we just talking about sunlight or would my carboy that is in the basement being exposed to the light from lightbulbs, and not the sun, be affected?

loop

incandescent light from bulbs is different than full spectrum light

Dude said:
Chimone....exactly what are they (or aren't they) teaching you in brew school?

this is homebrewing class here. not too many micros have their kettles outside.

:)

Chimone said:
incandescent light from bulbs is different than full spectrum light

knew that, but was just wondering of incandescent light affected anything? I see and hear guys wrapping their carboys and I've never done it.

loop

Some have told me they love that skunk flavor in that Heinekin (sp?) stuff. I personally can't stand it and consider it a flaw. Down with Corona. Can't stand that Mexican beer - love Mexico, can't stand the beer labeled as such...

loopmd said:
knew that, but was just wondering of incandescent light affected anything? I see and hear guys wrapping their carboys and I've never done it.

loop

Im pretty sure its UV that causes the skunking. so no, I dont think it incandescent will

I wrap my carboys for cooling prposes and thats it

Dr Malt said:
Skunkiness in beer occurs on the converted hop bittering component (isohumulone). Formation of this component occurs in the kettle while boiling so you can not form much skunky aroma until boiling is near completion. However, once isohumulone is formed, it can easily be chemically cleaved with light, particularly UV light, to produce the skunky compound. So boiled wort or fermenting wort sitting in light and/ or the sun can become skunky, it does not have to be fermented first. Wort and fermenting wort will react to light slower than beer mainly because it is cloudy and darker in color so the light can not penetrate as well.
Not according to the articles I have read in journals...most of the ingredients for skunkiness are present in unfermented wort, but for the most part it is lacking an enabler. Light doesn't directly cleave isohumulone, it must first be absorbed by some absorber or sensitizer. In beer the main absorber is riboflavin which is a byproduct of fermentation. Regardless of the science (where chemistry is not my strong point, nor do I have your brewing credentials), given the volume of homebrew that is boiled in driveways and backyards annually without epidemic reports of skunking, I'm pretty confident on empirical evidence that there's little to no risk of skunking in a brew kettle under 99.99% of homebrewing conditions.

UV and blue light causes skunking, here's a link to various bottle glass: http://realbeer.com/spencer/bottle.gif

Miller uses a hop extract, it doesn't skunk at all because something gets removed in the processing. I suspect Newcastle does too. I dunno about Bud or Coors.

I've heard that Heinekin in Europe comes in brown bottles.

Some bottlers use a UV light system to skunk it up on purpose, maybe like the UV water purifiers that would 'pasturise' the brew?

loopmd said:
So, Doc,

loop

Not to answer for dr malt, but along those lines...

That is the reason I brought up the subject of intensity. I am not certain how much it changes things, but a low wattage bulb in your basement is most likely less capable of skunking the beer than the sun. I have never noticed any problems with carboys in the basement and intermittent light.

Here's a thought....

Why can't someone make a brown carboy or Better Bottle to limit the risk of beer become skunked during fermentation?

Doesn't that make all kinds of sense?

the_bird said:
Here's a thought....

Why can't someone make a brown carboy or Better Bottle to limit the risk of beer become skunked during fermentation?

How would you know it's clean?

Edit: That's almost Steven Wrightlike.

I bought some sunglasses but they were too dark so I punched out the lenses.

the_bird said:
Here's a thought....

I think so too, it would cost more. (Apparently some breweries use clear bottles because they are cheaper then amber) But I dont know if id spend 50 bucks for a brown carboy.

I think its all academic anyhows, Ive never had a problem, all I do is put a nice thick black shirt over my 'boys, and thats merely out of paranoia.

Go find a six pack of Corona (not a 12 pack because the package is closed) and then leave it out in direct sunlight for a day. Chill and drink. You will notice the skunk.

the_bird said:

Or cheaper, put the clear carboy in the box it came in during fermentation. Cardboard blocks light pretty well.

Back