So I'm a little Crazy... Berry Extravagansa Stout...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h4rdluck

Reaction score
Anyway, I'm really into expiramenting and always have been. I look at brewing more as cooking than I do making alcohol so my recipes have been getting a little crazy. Anyway all my friends berry patches have been going gang busters so what did I do?

12 pounds plain light DME
2 oz Chinook Hops Boiling
1 Oz Pearle Hops Boiling
1 Oz Pearle Hops Aroma
1lb of Chocolate, BlackPatent, Roasted Barley, and Crystal Malt each (steeped for 30 min)
2 pounds fresh cherries crushed
2 pounds fresh blueberries crushed
2 pounds fresh mix of wild Wineberry/Blackberry crushed
Whitelabs super high gravity yeast with starter.

I just pasteurized them for about 20 minutes after I was done boiling, and will probably re-rack in 10-14 days to a secondary.

I was going to get a SG but the mess was ungodly. I was trying to drain the wort into the carboy and strain off all the berries so I could make sure I was up to 5 gallons liquid, and then I shoved all the berries back into the carboy afterwords. I eventually decided to just say f it the mess was horrendous and I just didn't really care at the end. I'll just be careful to make sure its done fermenting down the road.

Anyway like I said I went really crazy and actually wouldn't mind any opinions. I'm sure alot of people are like :drunk::drunk::drunk: but yes... I was at the time.

I'm fairly new to brewin but whats life without experimentation.

A big berry stout certainly sounds like a very tasty idea.

I would have gone a bit easier or the dark malts and the hops. Fruit flavor can be pretty delicate, but if everything goes right you may end up with something that tastes like bitter dark chocolate spiked with some fruit.

Should be a tasty beer by the time the temperature starts to drop in a couple months.

Latest posts

Back