So I pulled the trigger and bought a keg today. Questions.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

joegocal

Reaction score
I bought something called a "Low profile soda (corny) keg" and it is alleged to measure just 22" tall. I have never heard of something like that. I wanted to know if anyone has ever used one and can verify it's dimensions for me. It is a ball-lock system which appears to be built into a pressure vessel of approx the right dimensions.

the dimensions I have are 22" tall by 9" diameter. Which sounds about right (it works out to 22.5 litres but that isn't taking into consideration the thickness of the metal.

I am sort of freaking out because I am paying to ship it most of the way across North America and that makes it cost prohibitive to return it. If it doesn't fit I am basically screwed.

there are two main types, short and fat, and tall and skinny. the difference is "A standard Pepsi style keg is about 3” taller and 1” smaller in diameter than a standard coke style keg."

pepsi kegs normally have ball lock fittings and a manual pull-ring vent, coke have pinlocks and an automatic vent (that can not be opened manually).

http://www.micromatic.com/beer-questions/sizes-keg-draft-beer-available-aid-11.html

depending on the condition, a keg of either of the types (in usable condition) is generally around $30. slightly more if its clean, less if it needs servicing or replacement parts. check out your local brew shop or beer/soda distributor before paying to ship these all over the country. they are very common and you can probably save yourself some money.

How much are you paying for the keg...was it cheaper than just buying a standard corny keg through a normal homebrewing channel?

How much are you paying for the keg...was it cheaper than just buying a standard corny keg through a normal homebrewing channel?

I payed $52 for the keg. And more than I care to admit for shipping to canada. It ended up costing about half of what a new 3 gallon keg would cost. (The only other kind which will fit in my fridge.)

So I payed a pretty heavy amount but ANY corny keg is almost impossible to find where I live.

A standard ball-lock corny keg is 23" tall and 9" in diameter. To make it 22" tall instead of 23", it seem like all you would have to do is cut down on the rubberized parts on the bottom and top collars of the keg, but the actual volume of the keg would stay in the exact same dimensions.

It could be a converted ball lock. 52 for the keg unfortunately is getting close to the costs. But you can still find some cheaper. But shipping is a huge factor for you as well. Where did you order it from?

I payed $52 for the keg. And more than I care to admit for shipping to canada. It ended up costing about half of what a new 3 gallon keg would cost. (The only other kind which will fit in my fridge.)

So I payed a pretty heavy amount but ANY corny keg is almost impossible to find where I live.

I didn't realize you had size restrictions. Is shipping with a company like keg connection ridiculous to Canada?

That sounds like a pin lock converted over to a ball lock. I saw 2 or 3 of them in a HBS in Cinnci for ~$50/

Beach

Just a heads up, in addition to the keg height, you need to have a few inches for the connections as well.

I've found low profile connections which only take about an inch and the hoses go out horizontally so that's a problem I've solved.

Just for shipping?!

Yeah. It came to around 90$. But I've called every homebrew store and coke/pepsi distributor(got desperate)/restaurant supplier for 100km and nobody has a keg by those dimensions so this was my only option.

Yeah. It came to around 90$. But I've called every homebrew store and coke/pepsi distributor(got desperate)/restaurant supplier for 100km and nobody has a keg by those dimensions so this was my only option.

It almost would have been cheaper to just buy a chest freezer and some normal kegs, especially if you plan on expanding.

It almost would have been cheaper to just buy a chest freezer and some normal kegs, especially if you plan on expanding.

Do not have the space for that set up. It needs to fit in my minifridge under the desk for now.

I tried to order cornys from a place in Vancouver (800km away from me - closest large city) and with shipping it came to around $950 for 5 kegs. With shipping from Ontario (around 5,000 km away) the 4 kegs I ordered came to aroun $50 each.

Just nuts trying to buy home brew stuff around here.
P.

I tried to order cornys from a place in Vancouver (800km away from me - closest large city) and with shipping it came to around $950 for 5 kegs. With shipping from Ontario (around 5,000 km away) the 4 kegs I ordered came to aroun $50 each.

Just nuts trying to buy home brew stuff around here.
P.

That is just ridiculous.

Back