So, I have my beer in the new conical....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tamoore

Reaction score
...and everything went perfectly on brew day. Hit all of the numbers, pitched an active starter of washed 1056, got active fermentation in just a few hours.. really happy.

Now, I don't know how the hell to use the conical. ;)

After about 40 hours, I put a quart container under the bottom valve and dumped about 5/8-3/4 quart of trub - of course, I ended up grabbing some active fermenting liquid and sucked about two teaspoons worth of vodka through the airlock into the beer....

So, my noob questions are:

What should my method be? When should I pull the first trub? When should I harvest the yeast for washing/repitching? How do I store this yeast?

I'm a bit confused by it all.

thanks for the help.

30732_10150201358415553_790740552_12297371_5783362_n.jpg

Make sure you release the pressure before you take a dump.
I like to take the first pull 2 days into it to get the trub out.
I like to get my pitching yeast around day 5-6 or so. I do not want all the yeast that floc's to early. No need to wash as you have a conical, just store it in a mason jar.

No need to wash as you have a conical, just store it in a mason jar.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.

Should I put some sanitized water in the mason jar first so it'll keep better in the fridge? I want to harvest the yeast, and use it again in a week or so, not right away.

Back