so I had my first IPA the other day....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Devinv

Reaction score
It was terrible.

Kidding, it was actually really good, only tried one brand, cigar city brewing - jai alai. Any suggestions on something similar appreciated, I can't put this stuff down. At least the brewery is about 15 miles from my house :D

i liked that one but the IPA that blew me away (and still does) is Westbrook's IPA (in a bright green can) tis awesome.

If you like drinking local (Florida beer), keep an eye out for Big Nose IPA frpm Swamp Head Brewing in Gainesville

thats quite an ipa for a "my first ipa" story. what times we live in, i remember buying a single bottle of 60 minute for my poppin'

jai alai is a great beer. We used to get it up here for a few months but something must have happened to the distributor because I haven't seen it around. I go down to FL every summer and always drink my weight in that stuff.

My favorite IPA has to be Firestone Walker Double Jack. Well, I guess that's an Imperial IPA... ha. Regular IPA's though Bell's Two Hearted is good as well as Troegs Perpetual IPA but IDK if you can get those down in FL. There are also some local DC/VA ones that I wont mention because you can't get them down there. I think that's the best thing about traveling... is seeing all the beer you can't get where you're from. :tank:

Yeah, I'm jealous...you get Cigar City's brews anytime you want. I was recently in Vero Beach and got to try a few different offerings from CCB and they were all very good.

my first IPA was a home brewed English IPA from a fellow member of S.N.A.F.U. in '99. I was really into stouts and Scotch ale at the time, so it was kind of a shock. and Wit was the popular beer for our club to brew.

I've made my list and will see what winn dixie has to offer. Thank your for the replys. Will report back in a few days

I tried new Belgium ranger, Sweetwater ipa, and Sam adams rebel. Sam adams was most drinkable to me, but I still dislike the grapefruit juice taste. .. are there any ipa's that don't taste like grapefruit out there?!

I get to try New Belgium once a year. Ranger was a disappointment.

I'm really loving all those East Coast IPAs right now. I get all the West Coast IPAs, and they're great, but I really enjoy some of the nuanced character in a good balanced IPA. I took a brewery tour of the South last summer and loved all the great beer I found. Can't get that stuff in these parts. :(

Enough! Who has a great Cigar City Jai Alai clone recipe?!?!

Straight from the horses mouth...

Last 10 minutes of the show.. Gives grain & hop types & percentages. Dry hopping schedule, temps - everything.

If anyone is around Colorado or surrounding states. Odell brewery makes the best Pale Ale I've ever had (5 Barrel). There IPA is pretty tasty too.

I'm really loving all those East Coast IPAs right now. I get all the West Coast IPAs, and they're great, but I really enjoy some of the nuanced character in a good balanced IPA. I took a brewery tour of the South last summer and loved all the great beer I found. Can't get that stuff in these parts. :(

Did you try Pensacola bay breweries lighthouse? It's a good porter, on the less bitter side.

Yep Sweet Water IPA is pretty swell.

But one of my all-time favorites is Two Hearted.

Definitely two of my favorites. Too bad I cant find Sweetwater here in Illinois.

My other favorites include Lagunitas IPA, Stone IPA, Stone Ruination, Dogfish Head 60 Minute, Victory Hop Devil, and Sam Adams Rebel IPA.

It was terrible.

Kidding, it was actually really good, only tried one brand, cigar city brewing - jai alai. Any suggestions on something similar appreciated, I can't put this stuff down. At least the brewery is about 15 miles from my house :D

My favorite IPA as well, I always load up on it when I visit family in Tampa. The little brew pub they have on the Dale Mabry is about 5 mins from their house.

Glad they let you out of prison so you could finally catch up with beer trends! Cheers! They can be good.

Well, it was a toss up, but I went with the dogfish head 60 minute ipa, Sam Adams rebel ipa was in close second. I'm glad this forum had so much talk about ipas, or I probably never would have tried them. +10 for homebrewtalk

well, it was a toss up, but i went with the dogfish head 60 minute ipa, sam adams rebel ipa was in close second. I'm glad this forum had so much talk about ipas, or i probably never would have tried them. +10 for homebrewtalk

hbt rules!

Back