so I froze my carboy...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OneMorePint

Reaction score
Long story short, my stc1000 bit the dust on my ferm chamber and decided to keep cooling until everything was around 2c. My carboys were about a week into primary and looked like they were still quite active. I'm going to ride this out and maybe pitch some more us05 if needed. Might be horrible, might turn out ok... it will be interesting to see anyways.

If it only reached 2°C, did it actually freeze? Or did it go lower than that? Beer shouldn't freeze at 2°C, should actually freeze below 0°C.

Re-yeasting is probably a good idea, but if this happened late enough you may have completed fermentation and conditioning pretty much just cold-crashed it. Of course if you plan on bottling it, and it didn't actually FREEZE, you may still have some live yeast in there, but reyeasting might be cheap insurance.

You should be fine, the cold would have just dropped them out of suspension. You take an FG reading yet? depending on your OG a week should have been enough time to finish fermentation and the yeast were probably just cleaning up after themselves. I think your on the right track though. all i would do is warm it back up, take a reading, and if my numbers aren't there, throw in another pack of yeast. good luck.

Thanks for the replies, I should have been more clear - My carboy was frozen and the bung and airlock were solid bricks... the beer didn't actually freeze though - I managed to catch it before it went that far.

Back