So how many of you are im a alcoholics?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Im not trolling guys, and I am not posting drunk. I just wanted to know if any of you guys happen to turn into alcoholics because of home brewing (having 50+ bottles of delicious beer laying around and no one to drink them).

And sorry about the grammar error, I had a brain fart and could not edit it.

Personally, I would be more afraid of greater temptation with a keezer+10(5gal) kegs, IOW 50gals of beer on hand.

It would seem that you set of the Troll alarm with your posts! Keep up the good work :D

Im not trolling guys, and I am not posting drunk. I just wanted to know if any of you guys happen to turn into alcoholics because of home brewing (having 50+ bottles of delicious beer laying around and no one to drink them).

Well now that's more like it! Sorry we are so hard on people.

The thing about homebrewing is that a lot of time and effort goes into making those 50+ bottles. Yes, if you drink 50 beers over the course of 4 nights you should probably seek help. But then what would you do with all the time in between batches when you have no beer! A lot of us might enjoy a couple beers per night but I think this hardly makes someone an alcoholic.

People on this board have experienced alcohol problems but in almost all cases the problem precedes the hobby. If anything the hobby helps you to respect beer and take more time to sit back and enjoy it.

I grew up in an alcoholic family. Trust me, you don't "turn into" an alcoholic because you brew.

If you're an alcoholic, it's easier to buy inexpensive booze (and much, much cheaper) than it is to make wine or to brew. Oh, sure, I know that some brewers DO have a problem with alcohol, just like the rest of the world, but my thinking is that alcoholism is probably much less common among brewers.

For one, we tend to be drawn into the "geeky" side of the hobby and tend to be beer snobs, or at least prefer craft or other better-made beers. Brewing is not a cheap hobby, so it'd be way cheaper to just go buy beer if it was just about a drunk.

I have probably 300-400 commercial beers in my house. You need not be a brewer to have a lot of beer on hand. Also, wouldn't every wine collector be an alcoholic by that standard?

you have to admit to being an alchy to be one right?

i love the craft and it's many aspects, as laid out by the others already. i also love to get plowed on my own ale. :tank:

depends how you define alcoholic.

I think my 1-3 beer consumption a night might put me in some people's category of alcoholic, but I never need it, I simply enjoy the taste.

that being said, how many of us would drink non-alcoholic beer...if it tasted good?

No I am a drunk not an alcoholic .. Alcoholics go to meetings there is a very big difference. :drunk::drunk::drunk:

I have a fully stocked bar in my home with just about any hard booze you could want . But I don't go down stairs every night and down a liter of vodka ..

I do however have a couple of pints a night .

Yeah, because I always prefer to get my facts from comedians. It has to be legit. Screw the news im just going to watch Jay Leno tonight.

I guess based on those "facts" that smoking cessation things don't work either.

Yeah, because I always prefer to get my facts from comedians. It has to be legit. Screw the news im just going to watch Jay Leno tonight.

I think that episode was on 12 step systems, not overcoming addictions.

I think that episode was on 12 step systems, not overcoming addictions.

I was talking about the percentage of people that it works for and first time people only working for 3 months. Quiting smoking is right about the same success rate.

Wow, this non-troll (but slightly misguided) post has become one of the most successful trolls I've seen in a while. Let's keep it going! :rockin:

I think i get more enjoyment from creating and sharing my brews than drinking them to get plowed.My brother in law has gotten SFACED off my brew more than i have!! Im not kidding ,he may have a problem.Sereously when i ENJOY my beer I usually dont have more than 2 or 3 and if that means i need AA so be it.ITS A FREAKIN HOBBY!!!!!I think my problem is not drinking my creaction, but the fact i cant stop OBSESSING about making it. I say tomato U say alchoholic, WHATEVER.

Wow, this non-troll (but slightly misguided) post has become one of the most successful trolls I've seen in a while. Let's keep it going! :rockin:

I think most people are in denial about it. Take it from me, telling someone who is a alcoholic they are a alcoholic gets them deeply offended and angry.

;)

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a four-tap kegerator (= up to 20 gallons of beer on tap at any given time), and drink less than a pint a day, on average. I'll have a pint or three on the weekends, but usually none on weeknights.

hey alcohol revolves arround MY life! i normally consume 6-12 beers a night when i have them. thats only a problem on the wallet.

addiction: continued abuse INSPITE of negative consequences, ie: legal, monetary, family.

i got a dui .19 on 4th of july. but i am not an alcoholic. im an alcohol breeder.

My general rule for consumption of alcohol/brewing beer is I'll consider giving it all up when:

I'm too hung-over to go to work (and I hardly ever drink enough to be hung over)

I spend all my $ on beer (I RARELY buy store bought beer)

or my relationship with my family is strained due to drinking (they encourage me brewing cause I enjoy it)

But reality is that I usually give half of what I brew away (with the understanding that I get my bottles back!) to friends and family because I enjoy other people enjoying my beer. I drink a pint with dinner on weekdays, and maybe 3 a night on weekends.

Coming from a family with an alcoholic past, and the fact that I used to have a drug prob, I know what to look for. I fit none of the criteria, and I'd guess that most here dont either.

roflbot.jpg

Needs more hobo...or possibly more cowbell.

I've been told I'm an alcoholic by many wise asses with an AMA definition or otherwise. Who cares? If you are addicted to alcohol, ABC Liquor sells a handle of 100 proof vodka for $8. You could home brew that much ethanol for around $15-35 depending on recipe and type of drink. Why would you cut your addicting, nourishing nectar by half?

That said, I like to drink. My friends like to drink. I will become rather intoxicated, tell nasty jokes, hit on ugly chicks, pee in my front yard at 9am, and make a total stranger pull my finger. This doesn't make me an alcoholic, just a fun-loving jack ass. I home brew because I enjoy drinking and making the product. Truth be told, the alcohol is nearly a side effect. And given the choice between alcohol and cold meaningless sex or a hauling ass on my bikes I'd be sober for the day.

Protect your johnson and use some of that palm friction. Works for me. :ban:

Sir, I have tried your suggestion and it landed me some confusing remarks from my neighbors. One is currently cleaning himself off in my bathroom as I type this.

BEST. ADVICE. EVAR.

alternate reaction: "Great, now I need to go clean off my temperature controller."

This thread is still alive?

hell, if it goes on any longer, i will stop kidding around and say what I REALLY think about the original post! :D

My first keg was an 8% stout. I finished it in 4 days. The 4th day my roommate found me drooling on the couch while I kept dropping the x-box remote and couldn't even get into the game to play it. The 5th day I was 2 hours late for work.

So, yes, this hobby can have that effect at times. I am a bit of a drunk, too. Recent experiences have stopped me from brewing altogether for about 2 months. This is due to many factors, including my bad back, work being hell, and my drinking habits.

Are some brewers alcoholics? Sure. Can having a keg of tasty beer around for mass consumption cause some problembs with overindulgence? Of course.

But being a homebrewer definitely doesn't make you an alcoholic. Hell, When I was truly concentrating on brewing for my several dozen "BJCP Brew-in" batches, I didn't drink have a single drink until the wort was cooling.

Back