So how long have you let a beer lager?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NCBeerMedic

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I have an Oktoberfest that I placed into a sixtel in November with the plans of letting sit in my fermentation fridge until late Sept/October. How long have you lagered for? What can I expect? Am I setting my self up for failure or disappointment?

I like to lager for at least 2-4 weeks after crash, but some more complex flavored ones do benefit from long lager. Last year I had a marzen (octoberfest) I managed to save lagered from april to october and it was very nice and smooth with good flavor.

I set my lager fridge to around 32F. Sometimes it has some ice on sides, so it does creep colder, never a problem with the beer.

I brewed my Oktoberfest in March and lagered until Sept 21st. I was nervous as well . Turned out fantastic.

I just kegged my summer lager. Will keep brewing them on and off and hope to have at least 4 kegs for the summer.

Usually I only lager for around a month max, however I have 4 lagers now that have been lagering since late November that are earmarked for the National Homebrew Comp in March. Problem is I can only carbonate 2 at a time, so two are in kegerator now to carb and to start drinking, but then once ready I need to take them off to carb the other two, unless I borrow a friend's Blichmann Quick Carb.

I usually lager up to 3 months. After that it doesn't stay around long enough. This year I am hoping to do an experiment where I brew a triple batch of a lager that way I'll have extra to keep around longer to compare their lagering periods.

Latest posts

Back