So first Year Hop Growers - how'd it turn out ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mutilated1

Beer Drenched Executioner
Reaction score
My Cascades and Centenial grew really tall, but I don't see a single flower or cone anywhere. My Willamettes started out growing like mad, but I think it might have been too hot for them or they didn't get enough water - they look like they're barely alive. My Nuggets never really got very tall at all, they're barely only a foot tall, but they are the only plant that looks lush and healthy and its the only plant that has any cones at all on it. I doubt there is much more than 1/2 an ounce of hops to be had on the plant - but I'm going to make some beer with it anyway.

If you grew hops for the first time this summer - well how did it turn out ?

I'm still crossing my fingers that maybe the Cascades or Centenials will eventually make something this year, but I guess I've given up on the Willamettes - just hoping to keep them alive at this point.

I have had a first harvest from Cascade, Brewer Gold, and Zues. Second harvest from these plants is looking goo for the end of August.

Also towards the end of August I am looking to get a harvest from Nugget, Centennial, Crystal, Sterling, and Spalt. At most, I am looking at a couple ounces dried per plant but, for a first year harvest that isn;t bad at all especially when you see how lupulin laden the flowers have been.

I ordered 10 different species. 2 of the were duds and never grew. My nugget, chinook, Willamette, and brewers gold are over 10 feet and have a good number of cone buds on them. I will probably get a good number off these plants. My fuggle is about 8 feet and still growing with no buds. My Kent goldings is still about 8 inches tall and looks to barely be alive. My cascade, sterling are about 3 feet tall, and seem to be doing ok, just not growing quickly and I probably won't see anything out of them this year.

I've been growing my first year against a privacy fence training them laterally....Or so it was planned. I have no way of telling how tall they would be now as i've lost track of the main bines. No hops visible yet, but I'm not too bothered. I've already made plans for next year.

This year they were on a SW fence. When they are done this year I will move them to a due south location that I hadn't considered this year, and I will be fertilising the bejesus out of them! They will get an extra 4 hours sun in the new location, and I have learned a lot from this forum this summer, so although I'm dissappointed for this year there is no way I'm giving up on them! ;)

It's a little early yet to draw any conclusions, but overall I'm pretty happy.

Hallertauers: though it wasn't yet to the top of the trellis, it was the first to start forming burrs. It has since reached the top (@ 8 feet) and as of yesterday, there were a few burrs that were actually starting to look like hops.

Saaz: I sure hope it's really Saaz! Has grown well from the start. the more mature plant got started on flowering a little later than the Hallertauer, but it has jumped far ahead on quantity. Lots of burrs and some are also forming into cones.

Crystal: I Think it's supposed to be a later bloomer than the Hallertauer or Saaz. This thing is a monster though! Nice solid main bine with lots of long side arms. I have the feeling I'll have to take a machete to this thing in future years, just to keep it in check. Within the past week it too has begun to produce burrs.

Sterling: After much hand-wringing earlier on, I think they're finally doing much better now. One has definitely gotten its legs (roots) and has taken off, growing probably a good 1.5+ feet in the past week. I wonder if the iron-plus nutrient I gave them helped. No cones there yet, but a few side arms. I'm just glad that it looks like they'll make it.

I'm definitely going to need to extend the trellis next year. I figured I'd have to, but I'm surprised how much growth I've gotten the first year. Despite a rocky start due to the weather, both the Saaz and Crystal were at the top of the trellis by July 4th, and just went horizontal after that. Interesting that they seem to be putting out more sidearms where they're running horizontally.

Chris

Cascade or centennial (I forget which). 8-10ft tall, 20ish cones. Other than being small, it looks and smells nice.

All 3 of mine Cascade, Fuggles, Mt. Hood are about the same size, they are in containers and trained around tomato cages so exact height I'm not sure, probably about 10-12 feet. I think I may be getting the start of the first few hops right. When I moved around June first they started getting a lot less sun and I think it has stunted them some they are limited to about 4 hrs a day now except on weekends where I can move them around and they get about 7 hrs.

My Cascades and Willamette hops grew probably 10-12 feet tall and have quite a few cones forming on them. The fuggles are going about the same with less cones and my Sterlings only grew to maybe 8 feet and don't have comes forming as of yet. Oh my Nugget didn't come up at all but whatever. All in all I would say I'm fairly happy for a first year crop.

i planted 3 varieties underneath a trellis that was about 7 feet tall all of them grew to the top and are filling out on top. of the three varieties:

Willamette is the weakest, wilt, bugs and too much heat all worked against it. side ams are sprouting but not to the degree of the others. flowers are still in the early stages but it's flowering pretty well. I'll move this to an area with less direct dunlight and see what that does next year.

Cascade, this is the only one i planted more than one rhizome. Both of these fared well even though they were puny twigs. The flowers are only now starting to mature into full grown hops but this looks to be a decent harvest in the making

Chinook, this one seems to be the best suited of the three to the Chicago area summers. It has thrived in the heat. Pests have no interest in it and almost no signs of wilt. it sprouted last but matured the fastest, I'll harvest about 25-30 cones this weekend with perhaps 4 times that many still to grow and it still has fresh growth on the side arms and new flowers still forming.

Huzzah.

One note for future use though, i'll not be planting cucumbers anywhere near it. It has i believe lead to some of the wilt and past problems I've been seeing and god know how much nutrition it's robbing from them. i felt it would be a good use of space, but next year I'll plant something like spinach or celery, maybe even garlic instead. Glad there about done for the year so i can rip em up and let the hops roots spread some more.

All in all I'm very pleased considering the trouble a lot of folks are having. I suppose the thing to consider for next year is proper soil amendments and possibly propagating a cutting or two depending on how they look underground.

I planted Cascade and Nugget "Jumbo" Rhizomes and they are both doing awesome! Cascade has dozens of flowers (100+?) and is about 15 ft. The Nugget is not as vigorous but is about 12 feet and has a few dozen flowers. It helps that I live in hop central Portland Oregon and have great southern exposure and killer soil. I think spending the extra $5 on the Jumbo rhizomes was a good buy. Next year will be insane!

I planted 2 each Cascade and Willamette. Both Cascades and one Willamette are loaded with burrs and cones. I had given the other one up for dead, but it started to grow and is now about half way up the trellis. I would have to say I'm pleased with the results so far!

Ok I will post my results so far..In relation to the above post I am in the same region..Yorkville IL. So here we go..

Willamette- going strong, 15ft high and bushy...lots of side arms..had to trim 'em to keep them in check..like the softunderbelly some leaf wilt during these very hot days where having...cones forming now...at the top cone are more filled out than the rest. What I'm finding is giving them a little extra water is helping. I expect a full 1 oz each plant..they have done really well over all.

Cascade- they're doing ok..about 12ft high..buds just starting right now..seem to handle the heat better than the Willamette. These where very small twig rhizomes..I don't expect a whole lot here maybe 1/2 -3/4 each plant.

Nugget - these guys are about 13ft high..doing pretty good, they don't seem to side arm as much as the others..they also are just starting to form nugs, and I expect to see about 3/4 oz each plant.

Zues- jumbo rhizome, she is big about 14ft and very bushy...huge 1" nugs right now, by far way ahead of the others..and seem to do real well with the Japanese beetles..they don't like 'em much..hehe so less baby sitting on my part...Honestly I think this plant will produce 1 1/2 oz by itself...the high heat is no match..she likes it..lol

Sunbeam -Jumbo rhizome...about 10ft high..this is a Saaz hybrid and is typically a low yielding hops..they are just starting to form nugs right now..and I only expect to see 1/2 oz from this one..light colored leaves don’t like all day direct sunlight, but I knew that and planted in a good location.

I use Organic Hydroponic Grow/Bloom with catalyst and using more Bloom right now…I also have my water set-up on drip irrigation on a timer 30min twice in 24hrs…Even then, I still water them every three days with the hose, and soak the heck out of them..

Bighops

Cascade and Centennial are doing well at about 10 feet or so. One of the main vines of the Cascade plant had a mite epidemic so the lower leaves have been sucked dry, but the plant doesn't seem to care. And fortunately I got to them w/ hot pepper wax and killed the bastard mites off before they started feasting on my other hops plants. Lots of plump cones on the Centennials already, whereas the Cascades has lots of flowers but most haven't started to plump out into cones yet. The Nuggets started out well but one day just wilted and died. Turns out the vine got snapped off the rhizome somehow. :( The Goldings haven't done **** and I'm just hoping the rhizome and roots have been getting settled in nicely so something more dramatic can happen next year. :D

I had 1 oz Chinook, .7 oz Cascade, .4 oz Williamette, I will have more Cascades in a bit, I will have a few Magnum, Centennial, Glacier, I lost 1 of my Cascades, overall Im pleased with the first year, I think Im going to plant another row of 50 feet next spring, good luck.:rockin:

nugget is about 12-15' with hop cones all over it, magnum is about 8-10' with less hop cones, the golding is holding on, about two foot tall. didn't like the journey from wa to oh, and had a touch and go may.

I planted 2 cascades at the start of the season, and only one ended up making it. It is about 8 feet tall right now and fairl healthy looking, but doesn't have any real cones yet. I'm thinking it is because I'm in the south and it is still real hot and sunny, so I might not have cones for awhile, unless I'm confused how hops grow. I'm looking forward to the plants next year since I had some problems early on. I now know that I have to fight off rabbits, bugs, lizards, and all kinds of other stuff to keep them growing, and use some heavier line that isn't going to break as soon as it gets windy.

I only planted 2 rhizomes but so far so good.

the fuggle took it's sweet, sweet time to pop out of the ground, to the point where I effectively gave up on it showing up at all. It's slowly crept up to about 4 feet tall and I suspect that will be about all I get from it this year. I fully expect a better result next year.

My Sterling, on the other hand, shot off like a rocket, I don't think it was a week from burying the little stick in the ground before a leafy little sprout sprang fourth form the ground. I drove an eye bolt into the side of the house near the roof and ran a string for it to climb up. It's climbed all the way to the roof (probably about 13-15 feet, haven't actually measured) and bunched up at the top. Just this past week it popped out a bunch of small fuzzy looking balls that I suspect will become cones. I'm very pleased, as I didn't even expect to harvest anything this year. My only concern is that on the bottom 1/3 or so of the vine, all the leaves are turning yellow and curling up. I'm not sure whats going on, it gets plenty of water...I dunno. I hope it doesn't continue up the vine and take out the cones!

I have 2 cascades that will get me a pound I bet. They both are about 20' 2 Centennial are about 10' and I should get a couple ounces. 2 fuggles, one died and the other is about 6' with very few flowers. 2 Magnum are about 6' with nothing on them.

Great thread idea! Here's my update:

-A friend of my father dug up 4 cascade's for me from his garden. This was not the typical rhizome root, it was more like 6" of bine with some small roots on it. I lost one on the drive home (loss of water caused the bine to fold over itself and snap), and then for the next 2 weeks it was very touch and go where I thought I would lose them all due to no real root structure. But it turned out possibly better than the rhizome since the plant could immediately metabolize sugar through the leaves instead of having to spend energy to break through the surface.

These guys very quickly maxed out my 8' teepee support I made (could have extended it, but didn't realize they would grow so well). I had put a U-shaped piece of metal at the top which has really allowed the plant to take off in terms of hops production. I started to see flowers 3-4 weeks ago, and within the last 2 weeks the hops have gotten massive. The medusa at the top of the support probably has easily 100+ cones, and I hope to partially harvest the ripe ones in the next 10-12 days judging from their look and feel.

-I purchased 2 regular (they didn't have jumbo) Nugget rhizomes from Freshhops back in Apr/May? (can't remember). Unfortunately I had taken up my good planting location for the cascade, and so the two places I put the rhizomes are not that great. One is near a tree (South side of course) and so it doesn't get a lot of late day sun. It's growing around my front light post and has reached the top which is probably 5-6' and is flowering well. No visible cones from those flowers yet, but I'm hoping to get at least 0.25oz from that one.

The other one has another 8' teepee setup, but has struggled to grow, not due to lack of light, but poor soil quality. This was planted in the area that a huge 100' tree was removed about 3 years ago. There are a lot of large roots from the tree still present in the soil, and I did not prep the soil well and drainage is an issue. Right now some of the bines are probably 7' tall, but definitely not as healthy looking as the other plants. I'm hoping this year the roots can develop enough so that next year I can improve the soil to a state that allows this plant to rival the cascade. Some sparse flowers, but no cones yet. I don't really expect anything out of this plant this season.

I'll try to snap a picture or 3 of the hops when I get home from work.

My only concern is that on the bottom 1/3 or so of the vine, all the leaves are turning yellow and curling up. I'm not sure whats going on, it gets plenty of water...I dunno. I hope it doesn't continue up the vine and take out the cones!

Sounds like a nutrient deficiency. There are mobile and immobile nutrients in plants. The mobile ones (appears to be your issue) are able to move from older foliage to the new growth. Immoble nutrients cannot and will stay in the old leaves (new foliage will show problems). Of the common macronutrients (those that the plant uses in large supply) nitrogen, phosphorus, and potassium are mobile and in deficiency the lower foliage will die off while the plant continues to grow.

If you look closely at the leaves do you see dark pinholes in the leaves? If so do they continue to get larger? That is a typical sign of potassium deficiency. But this IMO is probably not the issue (or at least the major problem). Phosphorus is also normally not an issue with most soils BUT in a first year hop may be somewhat of an issue because it is trying to establish a large root system. A light fertilizing of phosphorus is probably not a bad idea.

The likely cause, however, is nitrogen deficiency. It is one of the most heavily used nutrients and, more importantly, the most likely to be deficient in soil of the big 3 (as it's used up by local plants/grass/weeds). A dilute form of nitrogen would be a good measure to take ASAP in order to prevent further loss of leaves and potentially lower your hop yield. Please notice the DILUTE recommendation. Nitrogen is one nutrient that you can do more harm than good and burn the roots resulting in disease/death (just look at your neighbors yard if he over does it with the grass fertilizer).

I would probably get some general all purpose fertilizer (look for high N and high P numbers) and make up a very dilute couple of gallons. Water this in well and wait a couple of days. Pay close attention to the leaves that were just STARTING to lose color. Those are the ones that can be saved. Any that have already curled up or show damage are using up nutrients that should be going to the rest of the plant. Cut them off. Alternatively you could add some compost and water that in well, the problem being the deficiency you have seems well established and so time is of the essence.

I grow organically and so use compost exclusively, but if I saw a sudden drastic issue like you've posted, I would not hesitate to use some chemical help.

HTH

I had trouble early, with either bugs or low water, or something. Anyway, I got a late start, and they were growing in large pots until recently. I finally got a box built and plut my three Cascade on the strings.

One is several bines, and about 8 ft. so far.
Two is somewhat shorter, with fewer bines.
Three is not even really tall enough to stay on the string, but I didnt' think it was even going to grow, but popped up not long ago.

One is several bines, and about 8 ft. so far.
Two is somewhat shorter, with fewer bines.
Three is not even really tall enough to stay on the string, but I didnt' think it was even going to grow, but popped up not long ago.

I know several members recommend limiting the plants to X number of bines. I do not follow this method (especially the first year) and allowed all of my 1st year plants to go wild. Every bine they shot up was trained onto the support, and I will have a very nice harvest. I have no doubt limiting the amount of energy the plant can gather by clipping off bines would have made a weaker plant.

I know several members recommend limiting the plants to X number of bines. I do not follow this method (especially the first year) and allowed all of my 1st year plants to go wild. Every bine they shot up was trained onto the support, and I will have a very nice harvest. I have no doubt limiting the amount of energy the plant can gather by clipping off bines would have made a weaker plant.

Yes, I read up on it too, and decided that they were so small and got such a late start up top that I didnt' need to do that.

I got a close look last night and noticed TINY FLOWERS!!! Should go back and count, but they are small buggers! I first mistook them for sidearm sprouts. So, I "should" have at least a few flowers the first year. Probably not enough to brew with, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Yes, I read up on it too, and decided that they were so small and got such a late start up top that I didnt' need to do that.

I got a close look last night and noticed TINY FLOWERS!!! Should go back and count, but they are small buggers! I first mistook them for sidearm sprouts. So, I "should" have at least a few flowers the first year. Probably not enough to brew with, but I'm crossing my fingers.

Me too, tiny little spikey things. Not too many though I think there a few enough so that I can give them all names. :cross:

I would say average first year. My Cascade and Chinook were DOA:((got a refund from the online shop)

My cenntenial did the best..I have 6 vines between 6 and 12 feet now with a good amount of cones on all of them..I would guess between 3 and 5 ounces total..

My hallertaeu was a strange one..I grew right away and shot up but than stalled out at about 2 to 3 feet and grew really weird. It had side arms shooting out but stopped growing up. I would imagine this guy will do much better next year. No hops yet but might see some over the next week or so. All of my plants got in the ground late(early May). And we had a bad spring. So that didn't help much. I just plan to make a nice Stone IPA and add the wet hops for my late addition and dry hop...:mug:

Next year plan to add new Cascade..(earlier). And maybe Sazz or Goldings.

J

EDIT: Oh, I forgot to mention... Dude! Your avatar totally creeps me out!

Yeah, it does that to a lot of people. I have an even creepier version that I use on a s#ccer forum. It morphs from thier favourite s#ccer god into the evil gnome.
image.php

Anyways, I'm being :off: Back to hops :)

I was never really hopeful of having a useable crop for the first year, I've learned a lot. Especially that hops LOVE miracle gro! They always put on a spurt of growth after I use it. I think they might end up with Miracle Gro poisoning if I get carried away. It's been a good experience building excercise this first year. :)

I was never really hopeful of having a useable crop for the first year, I've learned a lot. Especially that hops LOVE miracle gro! They always put on a spurt of growth after I use it. I think they might end up with Miracle Gro poisoning if I get carried away. It's been a good experience building excercise this first year. :)

Be careful with the Miracle grow. Any synthetic fertilizer contains a LOT of salts, and if you over use, you can create saline conditions which can really damage a plant. Compost is probably the safest way to fertilize, and if you suppliment with some Miracle Grow you should have a great yield.

Be careful with the Miracle grow. Any synthetic fertilizer contains a LOT of salts, and if you over use, you can create saline conditions which can really damage a plant. Compost is probably the safest way to fertilize, and if you suppliment with some Miracle Grow you should have a great yield.

Yeah, I understand that about miracle gro. But it's hard to not be impressed by the boost they seem to get. For the next year I am going to use sediment from my fish pond. I have a 6000 gallon koi pond. They tend to crap a lot! As luck will happen, the new location that I have decided on for my hops is directly next to my pond filters. I will have an unlimited supply of algae and fish poo enriched water to put on the plants.

Like I said, the first year was experimiental, but the second year will be more of the same. I'm in no rush. :)

Yeah, I understand that about miracle gro. But it's hard to not be impressed by the boost they seem to get. For the next year I am going to use sediment from my fish pond. I have a 6000 gallon koi pond. They tend to crap a lot! As luck will happen, the new location that I have decided on for my hops is directly next to my pond filters. I will have an unlimited supply of algae and fish poo enriched water to put on the plants.

Like I said, the first year was experimiental, but the second year will be more of the same. I'm in no rush. :)

When I do water changes on my tank at home I use the dirty water for the hops and other plants as well. I dose ferts for the plants in my tank and so the used water is perfect since it has a nice low level of nutrients. What is really beneficial to the plants is when I clean out my filter. The water turns almost black with bacteria and sediment when I squish the filters in the dirty water, and this goes directly around the plants for a nice feeding.

I have so much fish crap I think I could sell it on ebay! :D

I have five 55 gallon drums used as filters, all of them produce enough sediment to build a pile of rotting gunk around each plant. It took me a while to get my ass into gear this year, but next year I will be prepared! :)

That is a LOT of nitrAte production. Have you ever measured the nitrAte level in the pond?

I used to. It was healthy enough for the fish for a few years. I knew all the acceptable levels and everything. Then I noticed that nothing ever changed (PH, Nitrites, Nitrates) when I did no treatments. I figured it was reasonably balanced with the filters and all (110 gall settling chambers, 165 gall lava rock nitrifying bacteria), so now I leave them alone mostly, they do great.....Does this mean I've got to learn all that stuff again for my hop plants!? Oh bollocks! My brain already dumped that knowlege so that I could learn some brewing stuff! :(

I planted centennial and nugget. I was a bit concerned with our temps out here, but I decided to give it a try. Planted them in late April. It took them almost 3 weeks to sprout, which wasn't good because right after that our temps soared into the 100's for about a month. Needless to say they took a long time to really get going. I have a continual drip system and one day the system failed at the nugget (was about 2 inches high at the time) and by that evening, they were dead. Never did grow back.

Now the centennial are about 4-5 feet high, which seems small, but still small. I guess I expected them to be much bigger by now, but perhaps next year they will grow like crazy.

I used to. It was healthy enough for the fish for a few years. I knew all the acceptable levels and everything. Then I noticed that nothing ever changed (PH, Nitrites, Nitrates) when I did no treatments. I figured it was reasonably balanced with the filters and all (110 gall settling chambers, 165 gall lava rock nitrifying bacteria), so now I leave them alone mostly, they do great.....Does this mean I've got to learn all that stuff again for my hop plants!? Oh bollocks! My brain already dumped that knowlege so that I could learn some brewing stuff! :(

No need to learn that again for the hops, I was just concerned about the amount of nitrAte in the water. Your bacteria will convert all the ammonia and nitrIte to nitrAte, but from there it stays around unless removed by plants, or in the case of a home aquarium through a water change. High levels of nitrAtes (in the hundreds of ppm) are not good long term for fish. I'd just get a liquid test kit (Aquarium Pharmaceuticals is what I use) and measure the nitrAte level. If it's over 100ppm I would be a bit concerned.

An easy way to get rid of nitrAtes in the water is with aquatic plants. Some can be used as decoration in the pond (if the koi don't eat them), while many people have tanks exclusively for nitrAte removal (say a 55 gallon container full of duckweed/anacharis/wisteria/milfoil). A 55 gallon drum like yours would work, even better would be something flatter that gets more sun (say 6-12" deep and a couple feet long). Put that at the end before the water goes back into the pond, with a filter on the outlet to prevent the pest plants from getting into your pond, and you will have a very effective nitrAte sponge that will keep the water nice for the fish. When the plants get out of hand and start to slow the flow of water, take 3/4 of them out and compost them for use on the hops!

:mug:

I purchased 10 rhizomes from freshops and received 11.:rockin:

5 (4+1 free) centennial

2 Willamette

2 Goldings

2 Mt. hood

I split them up 5 outside and 6 in my greenhouse.

Out of the 5 outside only one is still alive due to the intense central texas heat. We have had at least 20, but maybe 30+ days of 100 or higher. My soil is feet deep in sandy loam, but the extreme heat combined with the lack of water did the trick. My girls even got watered from my garden with regular frequency, but they just can't handle the heat.

On the flip side, the 6 in my green house look awesome. I have already harvested off one centennial, but only about a dozen cones. However that plant is kicking off a second round of cones. Another centinnial has way over 100 cones and is turning into a shrub. All the others are doing very well, but no cone formation as of yet. They are all in 15-25 gallon containers of soiless media, but they get plenty of love.

I have no idea of determining heighth of the big ones because at about 5 feet I trained them horizontally. They turn into shrubs. I would guess 15-20 foot tall for the big one. The small ones would be 7-10 foot tall. I am guessing that they will grow for another 2-3 months at least.

I was a very late starter, but I have been very happy with how well my hops have grown here in Alabama. I am quite certain that if I don't get some cones late in the year then next year will be a great crop.

I can say without doubt that earthboxes work well for anyone that has crappy soil or an otherwise adverse climate.

Below is a link to some pics of my first year cascade and crystal hop bines. I had a bad storm come through in June that knocked down my makeshift trelis. I plan to erect a much larger one next year, and plan to add some more varity to my garden. Any sugestions on good hop variities. I am thinkinh williamette and fugels for next year. I think I will add two a year and then possibly some day be self sufficent on hops.

http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/ind...&MyToken=7fe97f5d-556a-4f1a-b6ab-799cefa310e2

Latest posts

Back