Snowed in! Brewing Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jmartie13

Reaction score
Living on top of a mountain has its perks sometimes I guess....Wife and I are snowed in until we can get a family member to come over with a tractor to get us out. I measure 26" of snow on my deck this morning, with another 2-4" expected today.

Anyways, I decided to brew! It's going to be one of those "use what I have beers" but sometimes those turn out pretty good. I have MO and 2-row for base malts, and plenty of crystal, rye malt, chocolate....but I only have 3711 yeast...I'm thinking

12 lbs 2-row
2 lbs Rye Malt
1 lbs Flaked Rye
1.0 oz Centennial FWH
3711 French Saison

Anyone else brewing on a Wednesday?

It's cold out here so I'm using that time this morning. Use what you have is what I'm doing too. I knew I was short on pale malt so I chose an English dark mild which seemed like a good plan until I discovered I was half a pound short on what the recipe called for. Hmm, what else do I have that will convert? How about some flaked oats? 9 ounces to replace the pale malt and I'm brewing.

Lucky SOBs. All I can do is look at the airlock on my fermenter from what I brewed last weekend.

I need to keep more malt in my inventory, lesson learned.

It's cold out here so I'm using that time this morning. Use what you have is what I'm doing too. I knew I was short on pale malt so I chose an English dark mild which seemed like a good plan until I discovered I was half a pound short on what the recipe called for. Hmm, what else do I have that will convert? How about some flaked oats? 9 ounces to replace the pale malt and I'm brewing.

Sounds like a good plan!

I've only ever used 3711 with a pilsner malt, I'll be curious how this one turns out. My wife asked me to brew a "summer beer" so, this is my take on that with what I have. I backed off on the 2-row to get it down to a 5% beer.

Cheers!

I wish I had yeast on the shopping list yesterday, I have a couple older smack packs I'm hoping will build up enough in the next couple hours to do the job. I smacked them at 7am, they're not as happy looking as they're suppose to be.

I brewed yesterday. I assumed I wouldn't be going to work during the storm, so I grabbed some ingredients from the LHBS on monday. Was a lot of fun.

20170314_134948.jpg

Before we moved into our house we lived in an apartment on the second floor. Your picture brings back memories. My landlord finally asked me what I was doing one day and I said "brewing beer!" He said I couldn't do it on the porch because I could blow the place up....I said I'm boiling sugar water, not cooking meth, haha.

That looks like heaven to me. Too bad in Memphis we rarely get snow...only summer nights with lows in the 80s.

Yeah, we never get a snow in here either. More than likely it would be a flood in down here. Lord only knows we had that last year and I certainly do not wish to repeat it this year. Right now we are sitting in the mid 70's already and spring started in February for us this year. Will be brewing this weekend though.

My buddy ran into a similar situation snowed in a couple of years ago. He had all the grains, yeast and hops but only had lousy well water and no RO system. So he brewed with 9 gal of snowmelt water and called it Blizzard Brew. Came out great!

Back