Snow and Hops?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We had a day of snow 1' last week. My hops are a year old and lived through it. Think of it as a reminder to trim them back. They'll be fine.

They should be fine. My 2nd year cascades were about 1ft tall a week and half ago and we got 22". They are doing great now, didn't lose a single shoot.

Snow is fine. Sub-freezing temps might be a problem once the leaves are out.

But hops are hardy. If a couple of stalks are damaged, several more will sprout and take over. I actually trim the first couple of shoots in the spring.

It's hard to want to do that in your first or second year, but after that they will be sprouting left and right and you will be almost overrun in no time.

Snow is fine. Sub-freezing temps might be a problem once the leaves are out.

But hops are hardy. If a couple of stalks are damaged, several more will sprout and take over. I actually trim the first couple of shoots in the spring.

It's hard to want to do that in your first or second year, but after that they will be sprouting left and right and you will be almost overrun in no time.

So, because of sub freezing temps with the leaves starting... Once we thaw this weekend, should I trim my shoots? All of them? Some of them? Or just let them be to see what they do. I think I have 7-8 shoots coming out.

Thanks!

So, because of sub freezing temps with the leaves starting... Once we thaw this weekend, should I trim my shoots? All of them? Some of them? Or just let them be to see what they do. I think I have 7-8 shoots coming out.

Thanks!

I don't. But I have so many plants that I just don't really deal with them very much at all. The wisdom I read is to trim them so that you have the strongest shoots for your plant- but I'd spend days and days whacking at them if I cut them back to 3 or 4!

We have snow oftentimes very late in the season (and it was 9 degrees this morning), and my hops are worse than weeds- I couldn't get rid of them if I tried! Hops are very hardy and very aggressive and you don't have to worry about a little snow, or even a lot of snow.

Back