SN porter clone - does this look good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
This is an extract recipe I found on the interwebs, and it is attributed to John Palmer, but not sure if that is THE John Palmer or not.....

The hops look right to me, and are even partially verified on the SN site as far as type. What I really want to achieve with this recipe, outside of the proper hop profile and flavor, is the creamy thick texture.....I question whether this recipe will bring that. What about adding a bit of dextrine malt to add body? And this will be a full boil, so should I adjust the hops? finally, for a full 60 minute boil how much water should I start with. thanks guys! :)

Ingredients: (for 5 gal)

Malts
6 lbs. of Pale Malt Extract (syrup)
1/2 lb. of Chocolate Malt
1/2 lb. of Crystal 60L Malt
1/4 lb. of Black Patent Malt
Hops
1 oz of Nugget (10%) at 60 minutes
3/4 oz of Willamette (5%) at 40 minutes
1/2 oz of Willamette (5%) at 20 minutes
Yeast: American Ale (1056)
BG for 3 Gallons 1.079
OG for 5 Gallons 1.048
Total IBUs 39

Options
All-Extract
4 lbs. of Pale Malt LME
2 lbs. of Amber DME
1 lb. of Dark DME.

All-Grain

Nobody?......

...OK, well I'm planning to add a 5th of a lb or so of roasted barley and a 1/3 lb of malto-dextrin to ensure a nice creamy finish and a good head....maybe even a 1/2 lb of extra LME just to give it a small boost in ABV....otherwise, I will go ahead as listed. Please stop me if I'm making a mistake! I got my starter up and running and I'm doin' er tomorrow!

Back