SN Hophunter & hop oils

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrFuggles

Reaction score
Got an email from my favourite burger chain about the arrival of SN's Hophunter, which promises additions of "Sierra Nevada's custom-process hop oils". From looking on SN's website and a couple of other news articles, it looks like they have their own kit to distill these hops pre-brewery. Pretty cool.

However, is what SN are doing producing an oil any different to the hop oils I can buy from my LHBS or is that they just got first over the line?

There are two potential differences. The first is the method of extracting the hop oils. The most common methods are CO2 extraction (used for many of the homebrew hop oils) and steam distillation (which SN is using).

The second difference is SN is doing this right in the hop field, using a trailer outfitted with the steam distiller. My guess is for most hop extracts they are shipping the hops to a facility where the extraction is done.

I don't know enough about all this to tell you the pros and cons or even if this really makes a difference.

Hmm interesting... Hadn't realised that there were 2 was of doing this.

Would be interested if anyone here has any experience of the 2 end products and whether they make a difference.

Back