S'more Cream Stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rwing7486

Reaction score
Hey guys,

This weekend i am thinking of brewing a 5 gallon batch of a S'more stout (might switch to a porter). My idea is to take my base Cream Stout recipe and will add graham cracker crumbs to the mash. During the last 10 minutes of the boil I would then add 2 jars of Jet Puffed marshmallow cream, 8 ounces of coco nibs, and 1 lb of dry lactose.

Does anyone have any experience/lessons learned with this style of beer?

Here is an update with my initial thought for a recipe. I didn't add the lactose in beer smith as it says it will raise my gravity from 1.056 to 1.063 which i dont believe. Also not sure if there will be any fermentables added with the graham crackers.any thoughts?

BeerSmith 2 Recipe Printout - http://www.beersmith.com
Recipe: Smore Cream Stout
Brewer:
Asst Brewer:
Style: Sweet Stout
TYPE: All Grain
Taste: (30.0)

Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Boil Size: 7.54 gal
Post Boil Volume: 6.24 gal
Batch Size (fermenter): 5.25 gal
Bottling Volume: 4.85 gal
Estimated OG: 1.056 SG
Estimated Color: 36.9 SRM
Estimated IBU: 29.3 IBUs
Brewhouse Efficiency: 76.00 %
Est Mash Efficiency: 86.9 %
Boil Time: 60 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
7 lbs 12.0 oz Pale Malt, Maris Otter (3.0 SRM) Grain 1 72.1 %
12.0 oz Caramel/Crystal Malt - 80L (80.0 SRM) Grain 2 7.0 %
12.0 oz Chocolate Malt (350.0 SRM) Grain 3 7.0 %
12.0 oz Victory Malt (25.0 SRM) Grain 4 7.0 %
8.0 oz Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM) Grain 5 4.7 %
4.0 oz Carafa III (525.0 SRM) Grain 6 2.3 %
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 60.0 Hop 7 16.6 IBUs
1.00 oz Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %] - Boil 30.0 Hop 8 12.7 IBUs
1.0 pkg Irish Ale Yeast (White Labs #WLP004) Yeast 9 -

-Mash in with 28ounces of Graham Cracker crumbs
-1lb of Lactose last 10 minutes of boil
-2 jars of Jet Puffed Marshmallow creme last 10 minutes of the boil
-5 ounces bakers chocolate last 10 minutes of boil

Smores beer sounds fantastic!

This probably isn't much help, but if you haven't already seen SD Slim's Graham Cracker Ale recipe, I'd use that for a base.

I made that last year and it was tasty, but I didn't have much of a graham cracker flavor

I don't know if adding marshmellow creme is going to be a great idea. I have a feeling is going to not give you the marshmellow flavor you are looking for and who knows how it'll change after fermenting. Mashmellows sort of taste like creamy vanilla so why not try to recreate the flavor with lactose and vanilla?

Check out this 10 page thread, you might be able to get some additional info from it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smore-beer-126780/

I don't know if adding marshmellow creme is going to be a great idea. I have a feeling is going to not give you the marshmellow flavor you are looking for and who knows how it'll change after fermenting. Mashmellows sort of taste like creamy vanilla so why not try to recreate the flavor with lactose and vanilla?

Check out this 10 page thread, you might be able to get some additional info from it: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f12/smore-beer-126780/

I think im going to stick with the Creme. Its something different and i have seen others use it before. I am still going to order some vanilla beans as I will taste how it comes out of the primary and determine if i should add them to the secondary if needed along with 2 cinnamon sticks.

Just an update for anyone who is interested in making this type of beer. I upped the crystal, victory and chocolate up to a 1lb along with added 8 ounces of smoked malt. I also added 8 ounces of light brown sugar at 30 minutes into boil, 6 ounces baking cocoa at 40 minutes, 1lb lactose at 45 minutes, and 26 ounces Jet Puffed Marshmallow creme 50 minutes into the boil. my SG was at 1.090 and I am expecting a FG around 1.022 to 1.025.

I had activity in my airlock 2 hours after pitching my yeast starter and the arromas that I could smell coming from the airlock were excellent. Could smell the bready/graham notes along with chocolate and vanilla. I am very excited to see how this tastes in a few weeks!

Any update on this?

The Beer came out fantastic!

Some lessons learned is that pre fermentation the graham cracker was very pronounced. After primary fermentation allot of the graham dropped out but was still present. The vanilla fluff didnt work out like i hoped as the vanilla marshmallow flavor was very minimal. So in the secondary I soaked two Madagascar vanilla beans in marshmallow vodka during the first week of the secondary and then added them for one week in the secondary.

The beer came out great! I kegged it set my pressure to give me about 2.0vols. Would highly recomend

Also i forgot to mention I changed my hop additions. I added 2oz of fuggles @ 60 minutes instead of the goldings. I also added 0.5lb of smoked malt. for a slightly more subtle taste i would bump up to 0.75 lbs

Back