Smooth and spicy India Black Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Suminorudder

Reaction score
Hey there, I have my brew day coming up, likely this coming Thursday, and wanted to bounce this idea off of some knowledgeable noggins.

Expected OG 1.078 Expected FG 1.019

11# Pale 2-row
1.0# Rye Malt
1.5# Flaked Oats.
0.5# Cara-pils
1.25# C-60
1.0# Carafa 3

Wyeast 1056 Starter.

For hops I'm thinking something that would complement the dark and spicy flavors, perhaps some dank and piney/resinous hops like simcoe, chinook, columbus. would 4 Oz in the boil and then about 2 Oz dry hopping seem appropriate?

I'm really looking for creamy mouthfeel and frothy head with this beer, so I'm taking as many notes as I can!

Cheers!

So my brew day got moved up to today, so I'm looking for as much advice as I can get before I commit to the recipe and purchase the ingredients for it!

I don't see the percentages, but it seems like an awful lot of crystal malt, and a lot of carafa. I normally don't use nearly so much crystal malt in any IPA, just about 5% max if I"m using any.

My quick math says that out of 15 pounds of grain, 1.75 pounds is cara/crystal malt (nearly 12%), and only 11 pounds total is base malt (73%).

So then, if I were to drop off the cara pils perhaps and bring the C 60 down to 0.75, would that help?

What about the oats and rye? Is there enough rye to give that nice spiciness I'm looking for? I've never used it in a recipe before, so I'm curious about it :D

So then, if I were to drop off the cara pils perhaps and bring the C 60 down to 0.75, would that help?

What about the oats and rye? Is there enough rye to give that nice spiciness I'm looking for? I've never used it in a recipe before, so I'm curious about it :D

Yes, I think lowering the crystal would help alot.

For a rye IPA, I like to use about 15-20% rye otherwise it seems like you can't taste it. I don't know if you'll taste it over the carafa though.

I've never used oats in an IPA, but they do give a slick/creamy feeling.

So let's try refining a bit further then...

11 pale 2 row
0.75 c 60
2.25 rye malt
1.00 flaked oats
0.75 carafa 3

Does that seem a little more proportional?

I got the oats idea from a visit to red hook brewery in Portsmouth NH. They had a small batch oatmeal IPA which was fantastic on draft, and I've wanted to try utilizing that idea ever since.

Suminorudder said:
So let's try refining a bit further then...

11 pale 2 row
0.75 c 60
2.25 rye malt
1.00 flaked oats
0.75 carafa 3

Does that seem a little more proportional?

I got the oats idea from a visit to red hook brewery in Portsmouth NH. They had a small batch oatmeal IPA which was fantastic on draft, and I've wanted to try utilizing that idea ever since.

I made an imperial black rye ipa, 2 lbs of rye and 4 oz of chocolate rye, and its good a really good spicy aftertaste, so i think you are good on rye there. Everything else looks good, too. Let is know how it turns out, ive been thinking a lot about trying oatmeal in an ipa recently.

Well, it's all done, pitched my starter around 5 pm. I decided on summit for bittering and simcoe and Amarillo for the flavor and aroma additions.

The wort taste better than any I've tried before, like cream and spicy chocolate. Just delicious, loved it! Very excited to get this finished.

Back