Smoking fish and season

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DrunkleJon

Objects in mirror are closer than they appear
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have heard many people say that smoking fish will ruin the season on your smoker. I have searched the googles (and even ventured to the second, third and even <gasp> 4th page) and have come across much mixed information regarding smoking fish in your smoker. I have a WSM 18.5" and am being asked if I can try out smoking up some salmon and maybe a white fish or two. I have read everything from "I have smoked fish on mine, it may smell slightly of fish before lighting but imparts no flavor to other meats" type responses, as well as responses saying to crank up the heat for 30/45/indeterminate number of minutes to burn off the fishy odors, and yet even others saying "DONT DO IT!!! Buy another smoker and use it exclusively for fish" (and some other doom and gloom saying who knows what.

I trust you all here, you have never steered me wrong so I ask. What are your thoughts, dont worry about it? Dont do it? Just rig some dryer vent hose to the top vent and port it into my regular grill and only cold smoke the fishies?

Back