Smokin' Centennial Blonde Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ohio

Reaction score
First and foremost, credit to Biermuncher for his gracious contribution of Centennial Blonde. A local brewery in town makes a nice Smoked Blonde Ale that I felt could be created using the Centennial Blonde recipe with the addition of a small percentage of smoked malt being substituted in the grain bill. Any thoughts from the forum on what you think the grain bill might look like for a 5 gallon BIAB or AG brew?

Any recipes or thoughts to get a "whisp of smoke" added to this delightful recipe?

Smoke. I was thinking more about substituting some of the “main grain” with a small percentage of commercially available smoked malt. I just don’t want to go overboard and BBQ the whole damn batch!

Here's what I'm thinking for the recipe for 5 Gallon BIAB (all grains double crushed):

4 LBS Pale Malt (2 Row)
3 LBS Breiss Applewood Smoked Malt
1 LBS Carapils
.5 LBS Caramel/Crystal (10L)
.5 LBS Vienna

75 Minute Mash @ 152 degrees (BIAB)
60 Minute Boil

Hop Additions
.25 OZ Centennial @ 55 Minutes
.25 OZ Centennial @ 35 Minutes
.25 OZ Cascade @ 20 Minutes
.25 OZ Cascade @ 5 Minutes

Pitch Nottingham Yeast (rehydrated). Give it 1 to 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary.

I hope the color stays golden. Wish me luck. (or stop me with if you think there are better smoked malts like cherry, alderwood, beechwood that might pair better with this lighter beer)

Kegged and drank this one over Christmas 2017 and worked out very well. Recipe is for 5 Gallon BIAB (all grains double crushed):

5 LBS Pale Malt (2 Row)
2 LBS Breiss Smoked Malt
1 LBS Carapils
.5 LBS Caramel/Crystal (10L)
.5 LBS Vienna

75 Minute Mash @ 152 degrees (BIAB)
60 Minute Boil

Hop Additions
.25 OZ Centennial @ 55 Minutes
.25 OZ Centennial @ 35 Minutes
.25 OZ Cascade @ 20 Minutes
.25 OZ Cascade @ 5 Minutes

Pitch Nottingham Yeast (rehydrated). Give it 1 to 2 weeks in primary and 2 weeks in secondary.

I see you cut the smoked malt a bit from your original plan. How was the level of smokiness?

I've used smoked malt in some darker, malt forward beers but have been afraid to try it in light beers, (wrongly?) assuming the smoke will just overtake and taste like the bottom of your fire pit.

I'll put this recipe on the list. Thanks for posting.

I felt the level of smokiness was about right for me. The beer was golden and clear. In fact, I might experiment backing off the smoked malt from 2 lbs to 1 lbs - and adding the 1 lb back (.5 lbs more 2 Row, and .5 lbs more Vienna). When people drank it, many couldn't figure out the flavor profile until I told them that it included smoked malt - which tells me that it wasn't too overpowering.

Back