Smoked porter recipe feedback

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

oldschool

Reaction score
6 gallon batch
Cal Ale repitch
1.070 OG
35 IBU
90 minute boil
I will be adjusting my water as usual

10 # Briess Cherrywood smoke malt 62.5%
3 # Munich 10L 18.75 %
1 # Chocolate malt 350L 6.25%
1 # Rahr Pale Ale Malt 6.25%
.5# Carafa Special II 450L 3.13%
.5# Crystal 120L 3.13%

1oz Goldings 60min
1oz Goldings 30min
1.5 oz Goldings 10min

The seemingly useless 1 pound of pale ale malt was to help me achieve a 1.070 gravity and not use any more munich or smoked malt since I've heard that you shouldn't go much of 60% with the cherry smoked malt. Other than that i'm just guessing and based on what I have on hand. I don't hardly ever make dark beers so what do you all think. Thanks!

I think it depends upon personal taste.

That being said, I haven't used that particular smoked malt yet, but for all the smoked brews I've made, I don't like more than 2-3# of smoked malt/10# of grain. A little too much smokey taste when that ratio is exceeded, imo.

The cherry smoked malt is pretty stong. I was happy with just a couple lbs.

Smoke and hops clash, when I brew rauchbiers I only use a bittering addition at 60 minutes.
I also only use about 3 pounds of smoked malt, but I smoke my own and it's strong and fresh. Still I think 10 pounds is going to be brutally smoky-charcoal in a glass. Since this is your first one I'd go light on the smoked malt, if it isn't enough go for stronger on the second batch.

My initial reaction was the same as everyone else's - too much smoked malt. I know for rauchbiers you could use upwards of 100% rauchmalt, but I've never seen a smoked porter recipe use more than 30%.

All that being said, this recipe could certainly work. Just not sure if the porter will be tasted through all the smoke.

Thanks for the input. I do really love smoked beers but I may cut back the smoked malt some and cut out the late hops.

I used 30% cherrywood smoked malt in one, and I thought there was plenty of smoked taste, maybe too much. Peoples tastes are different and you might like more.

My suggestion would be to make a decent robust Porter and replace about 15% of the 2-row with cherrywood smoked malt and see how you like it. Too much and you have 5 gallons of un-drinkable beer. Too little, and you at least have a decent Porter, and know what to do next time.

Also, the fresher the malt, the greater the smoke flavor.

Latest posts

Back