Smoked Belgian Red Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mmurray

Reaction score
This recipe is a conglomeration of stuff I had laying around! This is an Extract w/ Specialty Grains

Grains:
8 oz. Smoked Malt
4 oz. Melanoidin Malt
4 oz. 2-row Malt

Malts:
3.3lbs Munton's Light LME (in a can)
3.3lbs Munton's Hopped Light LME (in a can)

Hops:
3/4oz Liberty 60min.
1/4oz Nugget 60min.
1/4oz Liberty 10min.
1/4oz Nugget 10min.

Yeast:
Wyeast 1388: Belgian Strong Ale (Note: this yeast was purchased 2 years ago for $1 because it was old. After 2 years of sitting in my fridge I decided to see if I could do anything with it. Slapped the pack and after 2 days it went off. I made a starter and continued feeding it and pitched a huge yeast cake! So... don't toss old yeast till you check on it first!)

Steep grains @ 158 for 30 min. in 3 gallons of water. Remove bag and bring to a boil. Once boiling turn off flame and add extract. Return to boil and then add bittering hops. Boil for 50 minutes and add Aroma Hops. Boil for 10 more minutes and cool in your normal fashion. Top off to 5 gallons and once at pitching temps pitch yeast.

Currently still fermenting. Been going for a week now, I'll probably transfer to secondary this weekend and save the yeast for another 2 years LOL... I'll add tasting notes once it's ready.

The reason I posted this early, before tasting is I was wondering if anyone has heard of such a beer... a smoked Belgian red... I've heard of smoked reds before, and decided to use the yeast I had so any thoughts on this one?

Latest posts

Back