Quantcast

Smoked Apricot (American) Wheat Beer?

HomeBrewTalk.com - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Community.

Help Support Homebrew Talk:

Piratwolf

Reaction score
Hey, all!
For some reason I've become obsessed with making a VERY lightly smoked Apricot Wheat beer. I can picture the taste in my head--a hint of smoke under the apricot skin/flesh flavor--and want to make it a seasonal one-off for the coming fall.

Has anyone tried this or something similar? What % of raunch malt would it take to hit just above threshold perception, assuming an American Wheat yeast or maybe Cal Ale?

Cheers,
Pirat

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

OP
Piratwolf

Piratwolf

Reaction score
Beuller? Anyone?

JakeSparrow

Reaction score
I wish I could help but I know absolutely nothing about smoked malts. The only thing I can suggest is finding some recipe for a smoked fruit beer, and try to base it on that. The only other way is to make a small batch of it starting with a small amount of smoked malt, then tweak it according to the taste, but of course this is the harder way to go.

Kdubbs

Reaction score
I am going to make a smoked peach beer and barrel a portion of the beer in Dad's Hat Rye Barrels.

I hope to brew this batch sometime this week; assuming life doesn't get int the way. I am not 100% set on my recipe but my initial thoughts were either ferment with 3711 or Conan (for more perceived peach aroma) possibly adding brett trios. Grain bill 80% 2 row 16% American Wheat (possibly smoked at the same time as the peaches) 4% Pilsner.

For hops probably a fair amount of Citra at flameout and the in the secondary for dry hopping to increase the peach and fruit aroma of the beer. I think I will do 100% of the smoked peach in the secondary and probably add non-smoked peaches as well to counter the smoke.

Then Ill move to the rye barrel and see what happens. Should be a crazy one. Ill try and post on this thread when I brew or have a set recipe.

Happy Brewing kids!

OP
Piratwolf

Piratwolf

Reaction score
Cheers for the thoughts!