Smoked Apricot (American) Wheat Beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Piratwolf

Reaction score
Hey, all!
For some reason I've become obsessed with making a VERY lightly smoked Apricot Wheat beer. I can picture the taste in my head--a hint of smoke under the apricot skin/flesh flavor--and want to make it a seasonal one-off for the coming fall.

Has anyone tried this or something similar? What % of raunch malt would it take to hit just above threshold perception, assuming an American Wheat yeast or maybe Cal Ale?

Cheers,
Pirat

Sent from my iPad using Home Brew

I wish I could help but I know absolutely nothing about smoked malts. The only thing I can suggest is finding some recipe for a smoked fruit beer, and try to base it on that. The only other way is to make a small batch of it starting with a small amount of smoked malt, then tweak it according to the taste, but of course this is the harder way to go.

I am going to make a smoked peach beer and barrel a portion of the beer in Dad's Hat Rye Barrels.

I hope to brew this batch sometime this week; assuming life doesn't get int the way. I am not 100% set on my recipe but my initial thoughts were either ferment with 3711 or Conan (for more perceived peach aroma) possibly adding brett trios. Grain bill 80% 2 row 16% American Wheat (possibly smoked at the same time as the peaches) 4% Pilsner.

For hops probably a fair amount of Citra at flameout and the in the secondary for dry hopping to increase the peach and fruit aroma of the beer. I think I will do 100% of the smoked peach in the secondary and probably add non-smoked peaches as well to counter the smoke.

Then Ill move to the rye barrel and see what happens. Should be a crazy one. Ill try and post on this thread when I brew or have a set recipe.

Happy Brewing kids!

Back