Smithwick's clone

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jas0420

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Had a Smithwick's tonight and had forgotten how much I like it... Anyone have a recipe that you feel is a good representation of Smithwick's? Found a few elsewhere, but the authors never circled back around to say how close it turned out.

Thx!

Definately Use White Labs Irish Ale yeast, Tossed that in my last stout, and I can tie the flavors of Guiness and Smithwick's back to the yeast. Very distinct flavor totally made the beer.

As far as the rest...well I'll leave it to the experts

Here's a recipe I found somewhere on the net a while back. Never brewed it..... Let me know how it turns out. Love a Smithwicks :mug:
Jimi

Smithwick's Clone

Extract
.5 lb American 6 row
.25 lb Wheat malt
.25 lb Caravienne
.25 lb Munich
3.5 oz Roasted barley

6.6 lb Pale Malt Extract

.5oz Fuggles for 60min
1oz Goldings for 10 min

Wyeast 1084

get a keg of coors and add some food coloring to brown it.

I seriously hate that beer, not because it's the worst I've had, but because it was so deceptive that it might be flavorful.

orfy said:
It's the BMC of Irish drinks. Sorry
It's not going to be hard to make.
See. I knew there was a reason I was like... wtf is this?

That's kind of harsh. I dig a Smithwicks. I'll take it over Coors any day.

orfy said:
It's the BMC of Irish drinks.

Oh. I was, um... asking for the recipe for.... for a 'friend'.... yeah....

Ok, I still liked it, but I'll rephrase.....

"Anyone have a great recipe for an Irish Red? I tried some of that Smithwick's swill the other day, and I guess I've been craving an Irish red ale so much that even that tasted good to me." :D

I've got jezter6's recipe earmarked... Anyone else have a favorite?

Yeah, I guess I'll hold off my plans to try and publicly find a Natural Light clone now...... (Kidding!)

Nah, no harm done.

Honestly, and for no particular reason, I don't drink many Irish red ales... So I admit to not being fluent in that particular style, but I'll work on that.....

JimiGibbs said:
Damn shame you can't post a request for a recipe that meets your personal tastes without getting slammed......
Hey I'm not slamming anyone.
I've helped plenty who want to brew BMC, each to their own.
I've never attempted or researhed breing a smithwicks clone or I would of offerd help.

I've drank Smithwicks and I've drank decent Irish beer.
In fact, lots of it over a large portion of Ireland.

I'm stating there is better out out there and it is a mass market brew aimed at those who don't like tasty beer (IMO). Every one is entitled to an opinion and just because other don't agree doesn't mean it is wrong.

Jas, well done on trying to clone a beer you like regarless of the beers merits.

I'm not sure about it being Irish BMC beer at all. When I was over there it thought it was still one of the better ales I had.

If anyone finds a suitable recipe, I'd be interested as well.

There is no reason to tell someone they are wrong if they like something. Smithwick's is a very respectable beer (not so good as DFH 60 min IMHO), and there are many who would hasten to point out that Coors and its 2 closest competitors control something like 80% of all U.S. malt purchases. :mug:

Almost hate to bring this thread back to the surface, but.... I had Smithwick's #2 last night, from the same 6-pack as the first one.

It was a completely different beer. The one I drank that caused me to post this in the first place had a slight creamy flavor/feel, and I swear I could taste some flavors that reminded me of Guinness. The head on it was awesome.... There was probably 1/4 inch of fine-bubbled, thick froth at the bottom of the glass when I finished it. Aside from the color and lighter flavor, it really did remind me of a Guinness.

Last night, not so much. Big-bubbled, soda-like head that went away quickly, and the taste didn't remind me at all of the one I had previously. That "creaminess" wasn't there at all, and it was more bitter than I recall the first one being.

These were the last two I had from a 6-pack that someone else had brought over. I had picked up another 6-pack of my own yesterday prior to drinking the second one. It was seriously different enough that I had convinced myself that something must have gone wrong with that second one in the short time that I had the first one. So I had one out of the new batch I bought yesterday, and it was equally disapointing as #2. It wasn't undrinkable or anything, but like others have stated here, it certainly wasn't anything special.

I don't know what to make of it. Both would have been served at about the same temp, from glasses that go through the same cleaning regiment, and on both occasions they were my first beer of the eve (so I wasn't loaded when I drank the one I was raving about). These were leftovers from a SuperBowl party, so there were a lot of other beers around, but I personally opened & poured both, so I know for a fact that they both came out of Smithwick's bottles.

For the record, I no longer think those of you who were disagreeing with me are so crazy now. :) And I don't think the difference is psychological from getting roasted here.

Weird.

I realize this is an old post, but I thought it was interesting that I have had the same experience with Smithwicks. I have tried it several times in the past (on tap and bottle) and it seemed fairly bland. I just recently tried it again a couple of days ago and it seemed to have a lot more flavor. I would expect a mass produced beer to be more consistent. Anyone else notice this as well? I have also noticed Smithwicks having a taste very similar to Guinness. I realize they are owned by Guinness but what specifically would give it that similar taste?

Also, I still have not seen a successful clone of Smithwicks posted, only recipes that are similar. So if anyone has a good all grain clone recipe, I would love to see it.

I realize this is an old post, but I thought it was interesting that I have had the same experience with Smithwicks. I have tried it several times in the past (on tap and bottle) and it seemed fairly bland. I just recently tried it again a couple of days ago and it seemed to have a lot more flavor. I would expect a mass produced beer to be more consistent. Anyone else notice this as well? I have also noticed Smithwicks having a taste very similar to Guinness. I realize they are owned by Guinness but what specifically would give it that similar taste?

Also, I still have not seen a successful clone of Smithwicks posted, only recipes that are similar. So if anyone has a good all grain clone recipe, I would love to see it.

I want the recipe as well. Perhaps the taste is similar to Guinness cause it uses the same hops and yeast. Just a guess. I know the Austinhomebrew has a kit and their beers get pretty close. I might pick it up. Their grain bill lists 9lbs of base and .75 of special.

Good point. I too have noticed that sometimes its really good and sometimes its so-so. Not sure if its the beer or just my tastebuds though.

Had one on draft about 3 hours ago and it was fantastic. Very mild, slightly creamy, nice head, dry caramel character that makes it very drinkable.

Back