Smash recepie

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jsvinth34

Reaction score
Looking to do a single malt single hop extract recepie for an ipa. I've got a pound of galaxy hops in the freezer right now and plan on using those. I am curious about how I should schedule the additions though... I've heard post boil and dry hopping them are the best to get all the flavors. Also I'm leaning towards marris Otter as my malt, but would like to see if anyone had any better ideas to make a solid ipa

Maris Otter is fine for making an IPA. For hop additions, try and do something like 60, 15, 5, whirlpool, and dry hop. Bittering to a BU: GU ratio of around 0.8-1.0 depending on your taste. Aim to get most of your IBUs from the first addition, then add an ounce at 15 & 5, a couple ounces in the whirlpool, and 3 ounces in the dry hop (assuming a 5 gallon batch).

I agree with Boydster's advice. I did a Vienna/Centennial smash and my hop schedule was FWH, 10, 5, flame out, and dry hop. Very pleased with it. For me, I much prefer the FWH over a 60 min addition in a SMASH to smooth the bittering that is typically balanced with crystal malts in your standard IPA recipe.

Ok couple questions then... For the first 60 min addition, how much would you say I should add? I looked at 1.5 Oz on beerSmith and it seems alright. Also that Many hop additions seems like a lot of hops for a regular ipa.
As for the Maris Otter... How much extract should I have in my recepie? Sorry for all the newbie questions... Just wanna get it right this time haha

Without plugging anything in to brewing software, I'd start with something like this (you'll want to plug everything in and fine-tune it):

6.6 lbs LME
0.5 - 1 lb sugar
1 oz Galaxy @ FWH or 60
0.5 oz @ 20
1 oz @ 5
2 oz @ hopstand when wort is 170°
3 oz dry hop 5 days before bottling

Back