SMaSH hop scedule advice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopcop

Reaction score
I'm brewing my first SMaSH tomorrow and would like some advice on my hop schedule. It's a 10 gallon batch and using S-05 for my yeast.

Mash @ 152*F for 60mins to get some body on the brew

20# Marris Otter

2oz Amarillo 10.4% @ 60min
.25oz Amarillo 10.4% @ 30min
.25oz Amarillo 10.4% @ 20min
.25oz Amarillo 10.4% @ 10min
.25oz Amarillo 10.4% @ flame out (steep for 10mins)
Chill using my IC and whirlpool.

Any advice will help on this. I want to maximize the hops to get a great flavor and aroma.

Cheers.

That looks good, I did an Amarillo and golden promise smash which is great. I did a first wort hop and if I was brewing your recipe I would first wort hop the 2 oz.

I also feel like 20 10 5 0 for the remaining ounce but that's all up to you. My reasoning is to get a bit more aroma out of that ounce but you can't go wrong either way.

If you want to max out flavor and aroma. Do so late. I'd suggest chilling to 170 and then adding your flame out addition. Whirl pool it and let it stand for 20 minutes and then chill it down to pitching temp from there.

I like both ideas here. I think I will go with the 2oz FWH and then start the hop schedule at 20. And add the flame out addition at 170 and follow the rest. Thanks for the advice. I will post back tomorrow.
Cheers

So did a 10 gallon batch. It was great. I did 2oz FWH with bumping the hops to 20,10,5 and the last addition added at 170*F and rested for 20mins. Whirlpooled and the beer came out great. Fermenting nicely. Thanks for the advice on the hop schedule.

Cheers

I want to maximize the hops to get a great flavor and aroma.

Use pellet hops with the following schedule:

1) Achieve your total desired IBUs, using anywhere from 10-40% of your total recipe hops by weight for the early and/or middle additions.

2) Use between 25-40% of your total recipe hops by weight for the warm hopstand after the boil.

3) Use between 40-50% of your total recipe hops by weight for the dryhop.

Legend:
60 min - Traditional Bittering Addition (start w/90 min boil & add first hop addition at 60 min)
30 min - Middle Addition (optional, but helps to round out the bitterness)
Post-boil - Long, Warm Hopstand (165 F down to pitch temps over the course of an hour)
Dryhop - 8-15 days total (in 2 or 3 stages -- remove old, add new with each stage)

20-5 min additions are now meaningless to me and my current mindset of brewing IPAs, since you're getting both a weakened form of bitterness and a weakened form of flavor/aroma. Bittering power is best gained with early additions. Intoxicating flavor/aroma is best gained during the hopstand/dryhop.

Be very aware that your 2oz of bittering is going to add over 50IBU's. That is very bitter! I would watch out for that. Maybe reduce that down to 1oz and that way you have another oz to work with for flavor and aroma.

Be very aware that your 2oz of bittering is going to add over 50IBU's. That is very bitter! I would watch out for that. Maybe reduce that down to 1oz and that way you have another oz to work with for flavor and aroma.

50IBU's isn't very bitter, especially if he's hopping it for an IPA.

Ill agree with you that 50 ibu's is not extremely bitter if its balanced, but for my tastes this wouldn't be balanced. It would be more along the hopping lines of a bitter - to me. Everybody's different. I just gave my two cents to try to get that aroma and flavor an IPA should have and that's really hard to do with just an ounce added at the end.

TahoeRy said:
Ill agree with you that 50 ibu's is not extremely bitter if its balanced, but for my tastes this wouldn't be balanced. It would be more along the hopping lines of a bitter - to me. Everybody's different. I just gave my two cents to try to get that aroma and flavor an IPA should have and that's really hard to do with just an ounce added at the end.

Wasn't trying to step on toes. I was just clarifying that while his hop schedule isn't what I would use for an ipa, it's still going to be something along those lines. Ipas have more bitterness than an average pale. Unbalanced is what makes up a sub style of an ipa, such as a west coast style. 50 ibus is like a pale ale in my opinion and offer less hop aroma than an ipa in some cases.

This is probably close to a pale ale and will be good. Simple bees make great ones. A good dry hop and it'll be good. Amarillo is a potent hop and a great one for sure.

I didnt take it that way at all. This is what I love about brewing to be honest. We all have the same ingredients to work with and we can all create something completely different and special in how we use them. One method is not always correct over another (some are!) and I love seeing all the different ways we go about things.

Good luck on theSMaSH OP!

I'd recommend compromising and splitting that aforementioned 2 oz into 1 oz FWH, 1 oz Bittering, not polarized.

You presumably picked those additions based on bitterness preferences, this would get the best of both worlds, both IBUs plus flavoring and bittering.

I like all the input you guys have discussed on here. I did do the 2oz FWH and moved my .25 additions to start at the 20 min mark. I finished it with .25 when I reached 170*F and held it for 20 mins. Whirlpool the wort and chilled completely.

I was basing this recipe on a pale ale and I wasn't sure I was going for a dry hop or not. I was going to see what my gravity finishes at and also taste the sample to see if it needed it. My initial tasting when cooled and checked the OG was great and think I need to dry hop it for a week. Maybe 2oz?

Cheers.

Back