SMaSh Brews: Things to avoid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jldc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I've just finished my first SMaSH brew (Vienna/NB) and it's peacefully fermenting in my garage. I've been thinking about others. There are lots of threads about what works, few about what doesn't.

Grain:

Pretty much every grain capable of conversion has been used. It seems like 2-row is generally (but not always) avoided because it adds relatively little. Maris Otter, Vienna, Munich, Golden Promise all are popular.

Hops:

All of the C hops are popular, EKG, Northere Brewer. Williamette and Simcoe have received mixed reviews.

So I'm looking for SMaSH recipes (hops for the most part) that just didn't work out so good. Anybody got a comment?

L

I just bottled my Vienna/Willamette SMASH yesterday. The color is great and looked clear for coming right out of the primary. I question, however, the smell and taste. The beer smelled stale and tasted very bitter, despite my IBU estimate being around 42. I'll repost in a few weeks to see how it tastes. As of now, I'm cautiously optimistic.

It seems like 2-row is generally (but not always) avoided because it adds relatively little.

I wouldn't count out just using Two-Row. My first AG was a Two-Row/Cascade SMASH APA, and it was very tasty and refreshing.

Also, my house APA that most think is my best beer is ALMOST a SMASH, with Two-Row, a touch of Honey Malt, and all Citra hops.

I've made some good SMASHes with 2-row, and I found for me that the trick is to go really light on the hops if using it, lighter than you would with any of the other malts. But yeah, you'd definitely get more flavor out of Maris Otter.

I don't like my Simcoe SMaSH - it's too easy to identify and really wasn't exciting. Maybe I've just OD'd on Simcoe but I wish I'd used something else. The malts have been great though; Munich and Vienna.

Golden Promise/Chinook/WL002, 1.058: Loved the honey-on-biscuits malt and yeast in this one, but Chinook on its own is just better suited to darker beer IMO.

Munich/Goldings/T-58, 1.051: T-58 is crazy peppery and Goldings just remind me of carrots. Bread-crusty Munich at least helped; my roommate drank most of this one.

2-row/Liberty/W-34/70, 1.051: Conditioning with a hop tea gyle cut down the diacetyl I tend to get from this strain and amped up Liberty's pleasant lemongrass qualities. Once the hops dropped away, this beer was rather insipid and "milky."

Vienna/Northern Brewer/2308, 1.042: Mashing difficulties cut the gravity from an anticipated 1.064, so what was supposed to be a malt bomb (0.5 oz @60) ended up being a simple, balanced session beer.

Best combos I've done:
Pils/Spalt Select/2308
Munich/Tettnang/WL838
Pale Ale/Cascade/WL001
Vienna/Spalt/2308
Pils/Hallertau/W-34/70 (after diacetyl went away)

This thread inspired me to go to my LHBS and pick up supplies for a SMASH to brew this evening.

Maris Otter/Amarillo - 6 SRM - 49 IBU

1 gal batch

2.2 lbs of MO

.1oz Amarillo @60min
.1oz Amarillo @30min
.1oz Amarillo @15min
.1oz Amarillo @5min
.1oz Amarillo dry hop 3 days before bottling

The estimated OG was 1.062 and I hit right on when I measured, 1.062. Here's to hoping I hit the 1.017 FG

I pitched Safale S-04 yeast.

It was a great brew, it's clear and ready to go. Thanks for the inspiration! I'll post how it goes in a few weeks.

I did a 2 row where I took 1 1/2 lbs and toasted it at 275° for 40 minutes. Hopped with Columbus. One of my best and I will be doing it again!

Latest posts

Back