Smallest Batch Ever? [Imperial Rauchbier]

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

INWarner413

Reaction score
My friends and I were planning on doing something crazy on Saturday night: they would provide the basic ingredients for a beer, and every other brewer would bring a small amount of any item they wanted to throw into the beer. It probably would have resulted in something disgusting, but we thought it would be fun to find out.

Unfortunately, time was running short so we decided to cancel the amalgamation brewing...and I was left with a pound of smoked malt. I also had some Tettnanger hops laying around, and a half packet of Safale S-05. So, I'm going to do something crazy: a one quart batch to make an imperial Rauchbier. Here's the recipe:

1# Smoked Malt
.05 oz Tettnanger [45 min]
.025 oz Tettnanger [10 min]
.025 oz Tettnanger [0 min]
Safale S-05

Beer Smith estimates the recipe to come in at 10.90%. I'm going to mash in a Rubbermaid container and strain it into the "brew kettle" [large pot]. The hop additions are going to be comical - probably dropping individual pellets as "an addition". For my carboy, it'll be a 2 quart glass jug with bung & airlock.

Should be a funny experiment!

Back