Small gap in lid when fermenting

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ADD100duance

Reaction score
Hey there!

I'm currently in the fermentation stage with my HB, and my lid for the fermenter has a tiny gap that lets a small amount of air come in and out of it. So far my brew has been fermenting as it should and has formed a layer of krausen on the top. should I be worried at all about this gap?

Thanks.

That depends a lot on the style of the beer. The gap will allow air into the fermenter headspace, so the beer will pick up oxygen. During active fermentation, the flow of CO2 out the gap may prevent most O2 from getting thru the gap, but once CO2 generation slows, O2 will get into the fermenter. To minimize oxygen damage to the beer, bottle as soon as fermentation is finished. The longer the beer stays in the fermenter with little CO2 generation, the more it will oxidize.

Hoppy styles will show oxidation damage at sooner and at lower O2 exposure than less hoppy styles. Heavy beers tend to mask oxidation damage better.

In addition to packaging the beer as soon as possible, you want to consume it quickly. Oxidation effects get worse with time. Also, once the bottles are carbonated, you want to keep them all as cold as you can (but not freeze.) Oxidation damage occurs faster at warmer temperatures.

Brew on :mug:

+1 to this! ^
Just don't bottle before it's done fermenting or you may have potential bottle bombs on your hand.

But why is there a (small) gap? Doesn't lid snap tight over the rim?

Do you have another fermenter that does seal well to transfer this to? If done carefully it may be better while fermentation is still ongoing.

I agree with Miraculix. I've used that blue painters tape before too with success. However i think duct tape would work better. I would bottle (or keg) as soon as fermentation is complete. I would also highly recommend replacing your fermenter lid or gasket asap. Or get a new fermenter if possible.

type of lid and such would be nice to know. Picture of your ferm? What exactly is this gap and how big?

Back