Small Dry Hop addition (0.5 oz)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hopvine

Reaction score
Is this a common technique? Most dry hopped IPA's have a large addition (1.0oz or more), but if I were to add .5oz of Centennial leaf to a 26 IBU pale ale (similar to EdWort's Haus PA), would it seem out of place? Is it important to have bitterness to balance the citrus notes? Is it important to go all or nothing with dry hopping?

Is this a common technique? Most dry hopped IPA's have a large addition (1.0oz or more), but if I were to add .5oz of Centennial leaf to a 26 IBU pale ale (similar to EdWort's Haus PA), would it seem out of place? Is it important to have bitterness to balance the citrus notes? Is it important to go all or nothing with dry hopping?

I'm doing my first batch and trying dry hopping as well for an IPA. It's my understanding that dry hops only make it smell pretty :D. I used the full ounce of Centennial.

You can use .5 oz to dry hop with. Themore you use the more flavor/aroma that is imparted into the beer. Using a smaller amount would lessen the impact, but it is more appropriate to sry hop with smaller amounts if you have a pale ale.

Ed

. . . It's my understanding that dry hops only make it smell pretty

that was my understanding too. that's why bittering hops are added at the beginning of the boil and aroma hops toward the end.
however, i recently did a double batch of american brown ale, put in separate carboys and added .5 oz per gallon of some odd hops i had to one carboy. the aroma was there, but it was definitely more bitter too.

Dry hopping adds primarily aroma, but can add flavor as well. And even though they do not technically add IBUs the increases flavor and aroma can add to the perception of bitterness.

Anyway, 0.5oz of Centennial in a pale ale would be just fine.

I generally dry hop my APAs with a half oz of Cascade and it is very noticeable. I used one oz of Glacier in a brown it it had little impact. Some hops are more pungent than others.

Latest posts

Back