Small batch brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robinsond

Reaction score
Hey folks, just starting out in homebrewing, (I think I've graduated from my mr beer) and am looking for kettle advice for small batches. I'm thinking of making 1-2 gallons at a time, and I'm in a college apartment so space is quite limited. What size kettle should I invest in? Can I use a 5 gal one and just brew much less in it? Also I'm worried if I get a 2 or 3 gallon one I'll be upgrading eventually anyways...any and all advice would be much appreciated.

I brew with a big 4 gallon enameled pot from target, cost 20 bucks. That's plenty big for small batches, and I use it for 5 gallon batches as well. No problem heating it up on my stove.

Even for smaller batches you'll want to ad additional water for boil off, so if you decide to do a 2 g batch, you'll want 3g or so for the boil. So 5 g should be fine. If you anticipate on doing 5g batches in the near future, it is probably wise to go ahead an invest in at least a 7.5-8 gal kettle. Just means you won't have to worry about the hot break boiling over.

If you think you will stick with the hobby, and eventually be upgrading - just get a bigger pot right off the bat. You will wind up spending more money by upgrading 2-3 times, rather than just getting a bigger pot now. You're in college, so maybe money is tight - that being said, you can get away with a 5g pot, but you'll have to watch it like a hawk during the boil.

Can I use a 5 gal one and just brew much less in it?

Absolutely. This is what I would recommend.

As for material, I like the discussion from the This Vs. That thread.

llazy_llama said:
Brew Pots: Stainless Steel Vs. Aluminum Vs Enamel
(Note: Much of the Aluminum/SS information is taken straight from FlyGuy's post here. He did it first, and it was a very well written post. This information is transcribed here only for the sake of having one central database for as much Pro Vs. Con information as possible.)

Enamel:
Pros:
Many kitchens already have an enamel stock pot of sufficient size to do partial boil extract batches
If you have access to a second-hand store, enamel pots are generally the least expensive on this list
Clean in place (CIP) type cleaners, such as PBW, Oxiclean, and One-Step can be used
Poor heat distribution, meaning that once you get your steeping water to the appropriate temperature, it's easy to keep it there

Cons:
Eventually, even with proper care, the enamel coating will chip, rendering them unusable for brewing
Fairly heavy, making shipping more expensive
Generally not available in sizes larger than ~3 gallons, making full boils impossible for a standard 5 gallon batch
Poor heat distribution, making for slow heating and cooling
Cannot be drilled for ball valve installation. This isn't a huge deal since you wouldn't be using a small enamel stock pot for an all grain batch, unless you're making smaller ~2.5 gallon batches

Aluminum:
Pros:
Generally the cheapest kettle available in 5+ gallon size
Very light weight, making for cheap shipping, and easier transportation and pouring
Excellent heat distribution, resulting in rapid heating and cooling
Easily drilled for installation of a ball valve. This can come in handy when/if you decide to move to All Grain brewing
A new aluminum kettle will last for the length of your brewing lifetime with proper care

Cons:
Passive oxide layer must be created and maintained. This is done easily enough by filling the kettle with water and boiling for ~30 minutes. You'll know it's there when the inside of your kettle has a brown discoloration
Although an aluminum pot will likely last for as long as you need to use it, it probably won't last forever. If you inherited your great-grandparents aluminum pot, leave that for spaghetti
CIP cleaners cannot be used without damaging your pot. With aluminum, you'll need to use old fashioned manual labor

Stainless Steel
Pros:
Shiny! Who doesn't like the gleam of stainless steal equipment?
With proper care, you'll be able to pass on your SS brew pot on to your great great grandchildren. They just plain last forever
Can be cleaned with CIP cleaners
Passive oxide layer is much easier to maintain than with aluminum
Easily drilled for installation of a ball valve. This can come in handy when/if you decide to move to All Grain brewing
Better heat distribution than enamel

Cons:
The most expensive kettle on this list by far
Much heavier than aluminum. More expensive to ship, and more difficult to transport and pour
Much less heat distribution than aluminum. Slower boils, and harder to chill quickly

Thanks much folks, I'll probably end up getting a 5 gal. Would you suggest going to a homebrew shop for one or just getting a standard one for now? Also is it worth the extra cost for the spigot? I have some money saved & this is an investment so I'm willing to shell out a few extra bucks if needed. Also now I have to consider the type..hah that post got me thinking!

Thanks much folks, I'll probably end up getting a 5 gal. Would you suggest going to a homebrew shop for one or just getting a standard one for now? Also is it worth the extra cost for the spigot? I have some money saved & this is an investment so I'm willing to shell out a few extra bucks if needed. Also now I have to consider the type..hah that post got me thinking!

I think a standard one for now is fine, although some homebrew shops do have good deals. I wouldn't worry about a spigot if you're getting a 5 gallon or less pot, since you can probably lift that much. If you end up with a bigger pot, a spigot starts becoming more necessary due to weight considerations.

Ok now just a cheap-ish stainless standard 5 gal is what I'm gonna go for. Thanks for the help

robinsond said:
Ok now just a cheap-ish stainless standard 5 gal is what I'm gonna go for. Thanks for the help

Keep an eye out on eBay too. I scored a new one for about 30 bucks shipped. Search 20 quart pot should bring one up for 26 bucks and free shipping.

Craigslist and Yardsales can be your best friend. Also at Walmart & Amazon they sell a 32quart (8gallon) pot by Imusa for about $24-$25.
This will allow you to grow with your addiction.

The only draw back might be its a pretty big pot so storage can be an issue.

I bought a 12 qt stainless steel stock pot at Walmart for my 1 gallon BIAB batches and it's worked well so far. I also plan on doing 2.5 gallon extract batches which should work fine but I won't be able to do full boil.

Latest posts

Back