Small Batch All Grain Brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

UpsetsBrewing

Reaction score
I just recently started brewing one gallon batches from all grain recipes. I figured it would be a good way to try out all of my recipe ideas on a smaller scale and with taking up less time. I even made a mash tun out of a 3 gallon cooler. Clean up is a breeze.
Northern Brewer was running a Fathers day special where if u buy the small batch kit they give u a 2 gallon kettle free, It was like $60. The kit came with an extract Pliny clone. Wow, what a crazy recipe that was.
What are your experiences with small batch brewing and what are some of your recipes you've tried? Here's what I'm brewing tomorrow. It's an idea I had for a "Brown Cream Ale". Think it could be alright.

20 oz 2-Row
4 oz Vienna
4 oz Flaked Corn
2 oz Carapils
1 oz Chocolate
3 g Cluster @ 40
3 g Cluster @ 15
WLP004

I've never done less than 5gal, so I dont have any recipes for ya, but...

According to my calcs using a recipe tool, this is only 13SRM. More like an amber ale. If you increase the chocolate to 3oz that looks like the sweet spot.

But the recipe looks solid, what temp are you fermenting at? I've used wlp007 at the mid 50s with good results. Warm up to 60 near the end. It may have a slight sulfury aroma when its fresh, but itll dissipate in a week or so.

I brew a good many 2 gallon 'test batches' or high gravity batches that I know I won't drink a lot of. My experience is that smaller batches are exactly the same as big batches but easier to manage. The mash can lose heat more quickly too, due to the lower thermal mass of a small grain bill. I rigged out a 5 gallon cooler for my 2-2.5 gallon batches. They are also great for growing up a bunch of yeast for a 10 gallon batch.

I'm not going to list a bunch of recipes, I just use the scale function in BeerSmith. I use the same recipe whether it's for a 2.5, 5 or 10 gallon batch, just scaled appropriately.

I'm not going to list a bunch of recipes, I just use the scale function in BeerSmith. I use the same recipe whether it's for a 2.5, 5 or 10 gallon batch, just scaled appropriately.

^^ This

If you need recipes, go through the recipe database here on HBT.

Another excellent option for recipes is Brewing Classic Styles. This book will give you a solid base recipe for almost any beer you want to brew. Once you brew a few of those and get a procedure established, you can start to modify recipes to create beers that are uniquely yours.

Good Luck,
Cody

Last edited by a moderator:
^^ This

If you need recipes, go through the recipe database here on HBT.

Another excellent option for recipes is Brewing Classic Styles. This book will give you a solid base recipe for almost any beer you want to brew. Once you brew a few of those and get a procedure established, you can start to modify recipes to create beers that are uniquely yours.

Good Luck,
Cody

If you don't have Brewing Classic Styles, get it! That book is an invaluable resource full of great 'Basic' recipes. I just got Gordon Strong's new 'Modern Homebrew Recipes,' and I'm enjoying it a lot. He goes into a lot of the why of developing recipes, great read so far.

Last edited by a moderator:
The only small batches I've done were cider. My main issues with small batches is the difficult in finding a decent fermenter that's not over priced.

The only small batches I've done were cider. My main issues with small batches is the difficult in finding a decent fermenter that's not over priced.

I have found these 2 gallon buckets work well. The buck and lid is generally around $5 total. My local Walmart carries them as well, and they are a $1 or so cheaper. The manufacturer of the local buckets is Encore, and according to their FAQ these buckets are food grade.

That's pretty good, thanks. A 4gallon bucket would be great if you know of any, a 2.5-3.5 gal batch sounds like the perfect size for me atm

That's pretty good, thanks. A 4gallon bucket would be great if you know of any, a 2.5-3.5 gal batch sounds like the perfect size for me atm

Check your local donut shop or bakery. Frosting and filling comes in 4 gal food grade buckets with lids so you may score some for free.

Check your local donut shop or bakery. Frosting and filling comes in 4 gal food grade buckets with lids so you may score some for free.

been there done that, 3 batches in 5 buckets had infections. Not okay with those odds. Might be just been the particular source, but not willing to do that again. Cleaned, soaked with oxyclean, and star San.

For anything over 2.5 gallons, I would just use one of these 5 gallons buckets.

My local Walmart has five gallon Encore buckets for $2.97 and the lids for $1.17.

These buckets will hold up to about 4.5 gallons with a blowoff. A drill bit to make a hole in the lid, a $0.50 grommet, and you have a fermentor that will handle everything from 2 - 4.5 gallons.

I have a 2.5 gallon barleywine in one and a 9 gallon Cream of Six Crops split between two right now. With the head space on the barleywine, I will need to bottle or secondary once primary fermentation is over, but I can work around that.

I've never done less than 5gal, so I dont have any recipes for ya, but...

According to my calcs using a recipe tool, this is only 13SRM. More like an amber ale. If you increase the chocolate to 3oz that looks like the sweet spot.

But the recipe looks solid, what temp are you fermenting at? I've used wlp007 at the mid 50s with good results. Warm up to 60 near the end. It may have a slight sulfury aroma when its fresh, but itll dissipate in a week or so.

Yeah, the idea is actually to add color to a typical American Cream Ale and add UK hops and yeast.

Latest posts

Back