Small Amounts of Black Patent for Clarity?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wittmania

Reaction score
I'm curious if anyone else has ever heard of this. The owner of my LHBS told me the other day that some breweries will use very small amounts (~1 oz/5 gal) of Black Patent to lighten and clear pale beers. He said some of the bigger breweries will even use it as such in their light lagers. Black patent in a light lager? Yeah, that's what he told me.

I know I've had recipes that used a few ounces to add some color, but never to actually clear up a beer. Has anyone else ever heard of this?

I know for a fact you can taste very small amounts of bp, so i'm calling bravo sierra. As far as clearing the beer, sounds like crap as well.

_

Not to mention, you can add a few ounces to the grain bill of a 5 gal batch of pale beer and turn it almost black. It's potent stuff.

Yes, I heard this on a podcast from beersmith. I can't remember the guest, but it was someone that would know (Denny, Palmer, ?). They said finely crushed, 1oz/5gl.

Back