Smacked the packs prematurely...

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DevilNuts

Reaction score
I was all set to cook two five gallon batches today, and I activated both of my wyeast packs by popping the little bubble inside.

That was about three hours ago. Both packs are now fully swollen, and I may not be able to brew today after all. What should I do with these yeast packs? Can they be salvaged for another day? How long can they safely sit out at room temperature (and is there a risk of yeast exploding all over my kitchen)?

Any tips would be greatly appreciated.

Best bet is to put the in the refrigerator to keep the yeast as inactive as possible. If it's going to be more than a day or two you'll want to make a starter to overcome any of the yeast that die off before you can brew.

Roger that! Back in the fridge. Thanks!

...And I'm assuming when I'm ready to brew I just take them back and let them go back to room temp again before pitching?

Roger that! Back in the fridge. Thanks!

...And I'm assuming when I'm ready to brew I just take them back and let them go back to room temp again before pitching?

You'll want the yeast as close to the wort temperature as possible at pitching time. So room temp is probably your best bet.

Back