Smack Packs Needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DeBAD

Reaction score
On the Mr.Malty calculator under Liquid Yeast, which category do Wyeast smack packs fall (Direct Pitch Activator)?

Since that yeast is designed for one pack to be added by itself without a starter to a 5-gallon batch I'm guessing it falls under the "Vials or Packs Needed With Starter" correct? Otherwise at an OG of only 1.055 according to the calculator you would need 2 smack packs of current production date yeast.

No. If you are pitching them directly use the "# of vials or packs required WITHOUT starter". So you would need 2 (based on that recommendation.)

WITH starter is if you add it to a small (usually 1L) starter for 24 hrs or so to build up the yeast. The smack pack has yeast nutrient, but not any fermentables to multiply the yeast.

Your smack pack had about 100 billion cells on the date of packaging. That number drops to about 80 billion cells a month later, under 60 billion cells in 2 months. For most 5 gallon beers, that's not sufficient.

If you're going to be using liquid yeast, it's best to learn and get used to making yeast starters. Otherwise, dry yeast tends to be a better option for many styles. As I type this, I have 5 quart mason jars of starter wort on my kitchen stove in a pressure cooker (at 15psi, 250*F) and will "can" another 5 jars this afternoon so that I have a handy supply of starter wort when needed.;)

Hi, So Mr. Malty recommends that I make a 1L starter with two packets, do I prepare the starter like normal and just add the packets or do it a different way. I'm making a 5.5 gallon batch at 1.088. I will use a stir plate with my starter.

Thanks!

If you're using a stir plate, you can do a 2.33 liter starter with 1 packet, which will likely save you some $$. But if you can only do a 1L starter, then you'd just put both smack packs into your flask.

If you're using a stir plate, you can do a 2.33 liter starter with 1 packet, which will likely save you some $$. But if you can only do a 1L starter, then you'd just put both smack packs into your flask.

I would love to do that but limited by my stir plate and 2 L Erlenmeyer Flask. (There is always something new I need for brewing!)

Alright I guess I do that. Thanks!

You can do a stepped starter with your smaller flask. Make your 2L starter and then crash and decant and warm it back to room temp and add another 1.5L of fresh 1.040 wort and ferment out again. The calculators will help you with what sizes for the steps so that you get the cell count you want. If you make an extra half liter of wort you can pull that and save it for next time. I do that and assume that as of the date of packaging I had 80 billion cells. I have a couple 2L flasks and a 5L flask. I use the 5L mostly.

The difference between a 2.33L and 2L starter has got to be pretty minimal, to be honest. I'd just go with the 2L starter and call it a day.

That sounds like a good idea, but I had an overflow last time and all I did was a 1.6 liter starter, I can't imagine how bad it would be if I did that.

By the way, say you are aiming for a 1.5 liter starter, do I have the volume at 1.5 liters and then add the yeast or make 1.5 liters including the yeast? Always been unsure of that.

Back